Starting Tomorrow, May 7th

I originally planned to start May 1st and though I haven't gone completely off the wagon, I haven't been 100% whole30 either so I'm officially starting again tomorrow. I've completed 2 successful whole30 so I thought this would be a breeze.. But who am I kidding.. I need a push, just like everyone else.

Tonight my plan is to take my before photos, meal plan and prep for a successful rest of the week! 

Anyone else starting tomorrow, want to join a group to keep each other accountable?! We can do it here through the forum or start up a whole30 Facebook page. just let me know :) 

Hi Jess.

I'm in! This will be my 3rd Whole30.

This morning I'm eating a mini meal of sardines, green beans and mayo BEFORE I have my coffee. That's one thing I've let slip between Whole30s.....I drink my coffee before eating. But I'm ready to be compliant in every way.

Hi! My husband and I are both starting today. This is the first for both of us. So far, so good for me- I had black coffee a sweet potato hash with two eggs from the book Nom Nom Paleo for breakfast. I did have the coffee after eating, and black coffee is a challenge for me so far;-)

Welcome everyone!! 

I love nom nom's sweet potato hash! Sweet potato hash's are one of my go to meals, especially after a long saturday run. I'm starting my day off with left over pork chop, a few asparagus spears and half an avocado with a little bit of cantelop on the side. I gave up coffee a couple of years ago so I don't struggle with that. My issue is sweets! The last whole30 I did, I let myself have berries, larabars and apples with cinnamon for "dessert" or when my sugar cravings got really bad. This time around, I'm going to be strong. Giving it didn't help my cravings at all and after the whole30 was done, I slowly, but certainly got back to eating processed sweets. Time to slay the sugar dragon once and for all! 

Good luck on day 1 :) 

Today's meals:

Meal 1:  1 1/2 sardines, mayo, green beans, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:  Faux Pho broth (from WF2), with pork shoulder and kale

Meal 3:  grass fed beef burger with mayo, mustard and kickass ketchup (WF2), sauteed mushrooms (ghee), warm Brussels sprouts slaw with Asian dressing (nomnompaleo.com) 

Meal 4:  Liverwurst with mayo and mustard, pickles, more Brussels Sprouts slaw, 1/2 banana, small handful cashews

Today's activity:

11,000 steps

Sunflower - your meals sound delicious! Jealous you are able to put that much time and effort into your meals. 

yesterday was successful! I only snacked a little bit in between meals nothing after dinner. I've set myself up for another successful day. I opted to just make two casseroles to eat for breakfast/lunch and dinner since I'm busy this week and don't have a lot of time to prep up meals. This weekend I'll be meal prepping more so my meals can get more exciting! 

I made both my casseroles from paleomg.com website. With modifications of my own to change them up a bit.

http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-green-chile-chorizo-cauliflower-casserole/

Yesterday's activity was a 4 mile run after work.

Sunflower - your meals sound delicious! Jealous you are able to put that much time and effort into your meals. 

That was actually a low effort day.  Everything was leftovers!

Today was:

Meal 1:  2 eggs cooked in coconut oil, liverwurst, roasted cabbage with ghee, coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2:  grass fed beef burger with mayo, mustard and kickass ketchup (WF2), sauteed mushrooms (ghee), warm Brussels sprouts slaw with Asian dressing (nomnompaleo.com)

Meal 3:  a few bites of Korean brisket from the crockpot.....(not quite done yet) and a handful of grapes

Meal 4:  Slow cooker Korean brisket (mmmm perfect!), baked sweet potato with ghee, gingered zucchini soup, 1 spoonful coconut manna

Today's Activity:  10,000 steps

Nice!!!!

Yesterday I had: 

Meal #1: Left Over Cauliflower Casserole for breakfast with 1/2 avocado and berries

Meal #2: left Over Spaghetti Squash Casserole plus 1/2 a personal watermelon

Meal #3: Apple with sunflower seed butter

Meal #4 Left Over Cauliflower Casserole and roasted broccoli 

Yesterday was a total leftovers day and honestly day is the same. I'm excited to have more time this weekend to prep up some good food! 

I didn't workout yesterday and it was nice to relax. I woke up really hungry this morning so had a banana first thing before my workout. Today was weights, lots of squats and push-ups :) Feeling good and happy it's friday! 

All is well.  I woke up on day 3 HUNGRY so I think my cortisol and leptin are working as nature intended.

I had great workouts yesterday and today.  I do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) 3-4 days/week.

I made chicken salad (chicken, apples, celery, walnuts, raisins, homemade mayo) and beet salad (from Well Fed2).  I'll make something special for Mother's Day tomorrow....I haven't decided yet.  Maybe Naking Chicken from Well Fed 2.  I love that!

What are you cooking this weekend?

Welcome to Day 6! How was your mother's day? What did you end up making? My weekend was good.. didn't deal with my normal weekend cravings so that's a good sign. I Also woke up hungry, seems to be a pattern with me. 

This weekend I made: 

Buffalo Spaghetti Sauce over sweet potato, zucchini and mushrooms for me.. boyfriend got to have garlic bread and noodles. 

Coconut-Curry Pork Shoulder in my crockpot. I also made some cauliflower-cilantro "rice" to go with it. (practical paleo). 

Yesterday I had to eat out for mother's day, but I told the chef's my restrictions and ended up having steamed veggies with a little olive oil and a steak. It was pretty good, though I prefer to make my own food when doing the whole30 so I can trust what's going in my body. 

Today is left overs and then tomorrow i'll be making a pumpkin chili and probably so basically chicken dishes to get me through the week.

I also started doing crossfit again this week. Today was day 1 after a week off and it felt great! 

I made Meatzas from Well Fed with caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms and black olives for Mother's Day.  Not super special, but I had a bad taste for one so it made me happy.  I ate a side of steamed zucchini with olive oil on the side (remanants from zoodles earlier in the week--my mandoline always leaves me with a slice so I chop it and steam it).

My kids love Meatzas....they had cheese on theirs.  And no black olives.

I made some ground beef with onions, garlic and Arizona Dreaming Spice Blend this morning.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that yet.  I do have some avocados, so might serve it on top of lettuce with some guacamole and jicama.

Welcome to day 10! How has your week been? I'm ready for the magic to happen! :) This week has been a little tough for me with just how busy work has been and not being able to prep all my meals, but I'm still staying strong. I'm hoping to have enough energy and time this weekend to get some meals planned out for the week. My schedule isn't allowing for a lot of time at night to prep after work so would be good to get ahead of it this weekend and make another chili or casserole that can last all week. 

It's also been hard with having others want to cook for me. My grandma made dinner the other night and even though it was a relatively healthy dinner, I couldn't have any of it. And tomorrow my boyfriend's mom is having us over bbq ribs.. she said she would make her own rub since the one she uses has brown sugar in it, but I feel bad she has to go through all that work just for me. not to mention leave a section for me to eat without bbq sauce on it.  I'm considering making my own bbq sauce to bring. we'll see. 

Hi Jess. Happy Day 12!

All is well. I'm feeling great physically and emotionally! My skin looks better than ever! It makes me think that my skin issues were more than just dairy based. I gave up dairy after my first whole30 last summer and eliminated it (almost) completely after reintroduction. I will be more mindful with introductions this time.

I made the chicken & "gravy" from nomnom paleo this weekend and it was unbelievable!! Best new recipe I've tried in months! That will definitely be added to the rotation.

I tried her crab + avocado temaki and didn't like that as well. But I'm eating it! Becasue I refuse to waste $15 worth of crab!

I'm making a big batch of bolognese sauce today. I'll have that for dinner tonight with zoodles and then freeze the rest in small containers.

I've been able to avoid having others cook for me so far, so that's been less stressful. I did have a luncheon last week where I packed my own lunch rather than eating a Pre-made wrap, potato salad & pasta salad. I'm glad I did because the wraps had dressing in them, which was probably soy or vegetable oil based.

This coming weekend may be tough because my bf will be in town and we usually eat out and drink wine when together. I'll miss that, but he loves my cooking and never complains when I'm doing a whole30. I know I CAN eat out in restaurants while on a whole 30, but when they take out all the grains, butter, oils, sugar, soy, etc.....restaurant food doesn't taste that good to me. I like my own cooking better. :)

Have a great day and a great week!

Happy Day 14! 

I'm starting to feel the clear skin and higher energy now too and i like it. I wondering if I have an issue with dairy too.. I've pretty much eliminated except for sometimes cheese or if I give in on a treat and the treat has milk or butter. and then at that point I'm not sure if it's the dairy, gluten or sugar that's affecting me. I'm going to try and stay away from it after this whole30 though.. What's hard for me is I really enjoy frozen yogurt in the summer time. I've already switched to coconut ice cream at home, but it's hard to pass up going to get fro-yo with my girlfriends and adding all of my own toppings on it.. but maybe i'll try the dairy-free sorbet ones and see if that satisfies me the same way. I also really like fresh burrata.. and pizza.. but pizza is a whole other problem because it's not just dairy. I work for a restaurant group in Seattle and a huge part of my job is tasting food and developing menus so it's hard to avoid sometimes, but I think i'll try and stay away from it for the most part in my daily life. 

I definitely want to try the way the whole30 recommends reintroducing foods to see which ones actually affect me. I've also said I have a gluten sensitivity, but i don't know if thats true or if I just don't feel great after eating gluten cause it's usually in a highly processed or full of sugar type of way gluten and that it just makes me feel crappy cause it should. 

I really hope I can stick to a 80/20 type paleo diet after this cleanse so I don't get off track again and have to do another whole30. 

I do miss wine though! I can't wait to have a glass of wine with my paleo dinner. :) 

I agree with eating at restaurants, I find that I don't like that I can't trust how they made my food. Good luck with your bf this weekend.. I'm sure you guys will have delicious home-cooked meals and just enjoy your time together, minus the wine.

I looked up that chicken and gravy, is that the crockpot one? i'm interested to make it but I don't have an immersion blender. 

I've been kind of winging it this week with meals cause i haven't had time to prep up fun new recipes.. but i did make a bunch of "the best chicken i've ever ate" from well fed and have been eating it all week with curry roasted cauliflower, grilled asparagus and broccolini. I'm almost out though so it'll be back to the drawing board for the remainder of the week. 

Enjoy your week.. sorry for the long rant in the beginning. :) 

We're halfway there!

I looked up that chicken and gravy, is that the crockpot one? i'm interested to make it but I don't have an immersion blender. 

Yes!  You could use a regular blender as well.  Just transfer the liquid and leeks to the blender and blend that way.  It won't be as convenient, but it's doable.

I'm actually making it again Friday for my BF!  I think he'll love it.

I'm also making NomNom Paleo's Korean Short Ribs this weekend.  I've made it before with a brisket (per someone's suggestion here) because I couldn't find grass fed short ribs.  But I found and ordered the short ribs from a local delivery service!  I'll make the Asian Slaw from WF2 to go with.  

I'm also thinking of trying some different hashes this weekend....maybe turnips, rutabagas or sweet potatoes.  A lot of people here seem to love them, but I haven't tried.

Have a great day.

I'm restarting on day 1 today. Yesterday's lunch was not complaint..... I made a choice. It was a bacon / date / goat cheese empanada that enticed me. So this time was a Whole19. The amazing thing was that I didn't use my off-plan lunch to let the whole day go. I didn't snack and went right back to my whole30 dinner. This morning, I have no regret. I'm back on plan with no remorse.

Good for you! I love that you made a decision and are sticking with it. That after all is the whole point of the whole30. Are you planning on doing another whole30 or just see how far you get again? 

I went camping this weekend and was able to stay 100% whole30. Which was really surprising.. i've never been camping without eating crap foods and drinking a lot. it was amazing to feel good the whole time while camping. I struggled big time with wanting to roast marshmallows though! I think that every time I'm around a camp fire I want them! so Happy I stayed strong. I'm sure they would have made me feel like crap.

This week I'm focusing on creating habits. The last 3 weeks, I was trying so many new things which was fun, but now I want to focus on what will stick. I work best when I'm set on a routine. So that is what I'm working on, getting back to where my routine is the same every day. 

Good Luck with day 1 today!! 

Archived