Day 5 - Fighting Multiple Dragons

Traci918

OK, so I started my Whole 30 journey on Friday, May 2. I'm not sure why I chose a Friday as my start day because by the end of the day, I wanted my usual Friday pizza and cold beer.  I was strong and made it through Friday, did lots of farmer's market grocery shopping and spent the weekend pre-cooking and planning meals. :)

Day 3 was a headache/fatigue day, which I knew would happen. 

Yesterday, Day 4, I felt pretty good and decided to go for my usual 3.5 mi. evening jog. I wasn't planning on breaking any records w/ my time and was just going to be happy to get out there and take in some fresh air. I ran about 100 yards before my legs completely cramped up--quads to calves--and I ended up walking for 25 minutes, then jogged the last half mile, which exhausted me. As someone who exercises regularly (weights and running) this was a bit of a blow. Why did my leg muscles feel like concrete?

Today, Day 5, I arrived at work and went out to the common area for my super-delicious black coffee (please note the dripping sarcasm because I am a lots-of-half-and-half-in-my-coffee-junkie). Right next to the Keurig are a box of donuts, a homemade red devils food cake w/ cream cheese icing and a pecan turtle cheesecake. As if slaying the sugar dragon weren't hard enough, I'm also slaying the PMS dragon today, and honestly, the PMS dragon is a force to be reckoned with. It may bite someone before this day ends. I didn't touch, sniff or even ogle the goodies and instead sulked back to my desk.

I went home for lunch (instead of out with the ladies) and made a salad w/ organic mixed greens, shredded chicken breast, hard-boiled egg, 1/2 avacado, tomato, cucumber and olive oil + lemon juice as dressing. It tasted fantastic. I just settled in at my desk w/ an organic, no artificial stuff or sweeteners of any kind, peach tea. It smells fantastic. I will avoid the common area at all costs this afternoon.

I really hope I can get some energy and strength back so I can get out there for a run (light jog would make me happy!) soon. Running is my sanity.  :wacko:

Sorry for the long post.  :unsure:

Traci

Sorry you had such a rough day, but you made it!!! Might I recommend 2 things...check out bulletproof-style coffee. You don't have to drink it black. You can whip it up with ghee/clarified butter and/or coconut milk. Some people like to add cinnamon or unsweetened cacao powder. I would give up coffee before I would drink it black! 2nd...are you eating sweet potatoes or other starchy vegetables? That's especially important during PMS. 

Get some coconut milk in the coffee! I have no idea what half and half tastes like, but I drink coffee black most of the time and I still love to chuck in a good tablespoon of coconut cream - delicious!

Your legs didn't have the immediate store of glycogen you would normally have after a day of eating carbs (sandwich for lunch, cake for morning tea, etc) - you need to work on building those stores with starchy vege, like JJB said (and doubly important when you're getting/having your period), but after a little while your body will be much better at using other sources of energy for fuel (although you'll always need a certain amount of ready glycogen for running days).

And give yourself a high five for not having any cake or sweets! My office has that all the time (and I'll admit, I'm adding to the overload by bringing them in weekly as a fundraising exercise!) but I made a blanket rule years before Whole 30 that I don't eat purchased cakes at work - otherwise I would be the size of a house from eating cake every couple of days for no reason except that someone in marketing, who I've never spoken to, is having a birthday/baby/Thursday!

I had a dreadful day yesterday (day 4), went for a 6.5 mile run and hated every minute of it! I also run to stay sane; it got me through the menopause. I had a headache and no patience, generally an awful day.  This morning, however, I've got up feeling fine and have been for a 15 mile bike ride. I don't drink coffee so can't help with that but I drink gallons of tea: green, chamomile, fruit and my current favourite, mint.  Hang on in there and well done avoiding the cakes  :)

Thank you all for your advice!   :) 

I did some reading in the athlete section (although I'm no athlete!) and noted all the comments about adding sweet potatoes and magnesium (for muscle cramps.) I do take a calcium-magnesium-zinc supplement every day. I will pick up some sweet potatoes after work today and start incorporating them into my meals. (I'm guessing 1/day or 1 only on workout days?)

This is a lot of information to take in and so much to learn. I'm trying not to overthink it too much. One question I do have regarding adding sweet potatoes is about timing. If I exercise in the evening after dinner, is it better to have the sweet potato earlier in the day, with lunch? or closer to the time I exercise, with dinner (which would be about an hour before workout time)?

Thanks, again!  :)

Traci

• Moderators

Traci,

per the meal template (print this out and keep it handy, it takes awhile before you have it all memorized) you will likely need to eat either a Pre or Post Workout meal. Maybe both if your workout is long and/or intense, and depending on timing.

I usually try to time my sweet potato for my post WO meal. But if you are just eating it with a regular meal, it doesn't really matter. One thing to consider, eating sweet potato at Meal 3 can help you sleep a little better.

Archived