Dyshidrotic Eczema Flare...

Hello everyone!  I hope you're having a good evening!

So, I started the Whole30 to try to get this darn eczema under control.  I've been battling with it for four years, since the massive flood in Nashville.  I don't think they're related, but that's how I remember when it started!   :)

It seemed that it was getting a little better, and I was only using the steroid cream once a day as opposed to three times.  Then on Sunday, it hit me HARD.  It typically hits my palms and soles of my feet and it is so bad this time, I can barely walk.  Thank goodness I work from home quite a bit, so I didn't have to wear shoes yesterday or today.  Tomorrow will be a misery, though, as I have client meetings the rest of the week...

Anyway...  I have been having eggs every morning and that particular day, I paired them with a salad of tomato & avocado topped with lemon juice & dill.  

Now, I'm afraid of all those ingredients! :(  Any thoughts on the MASSIVE flare up?  Maybe something earlier in the week?? 

What else do y'all need to know?

Tomatoes are known to be very hard for people with skin issues. I have psoriasis and that's something that affects me right away.

Eggs are up there at top offenders. Many people with auto-immune or leaky gut issues have egg sensitivity. Last year I did strict AIP for a bit and through to reintro'd yolks successfully (the whites are more typically problematic. But now after a mostly AIP mostly w30 I'm suspecting the yolks may be bugging me too.

You can read more here: http://chriskresser.com/the-gut-skin-connection-how-altered-gut-function-affects-the-skin

Paleo mom on eggs: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/06/whys-behind-autoimmune-protocol-eggs.html

What day are you on? I have bad eczema and have been on topical steroids for over 20 years. My eczema got worse before it got better during my first whole 30. I noticed around day 14-15 it was clearing up.

I found that gluten and soda flared mine during re-intro phase.

I'm on day 11 now!  Yesterday was certainly a Day 10.  I was ready to give up and dive head first into a bowl of pasta... 

I'm going to leave out tomatoes and eggs for the balance of the 30 days to see if that helps, too.  

Did it clear up completely?  This is seriously starting to make me nuts and all the dermatologists I've seen just prescribe me the same things over and over.  At least it isn't on my hands at the moment.  That always made meeting customers awkward...  :)

I am having some skin issues as well. my chiropractor told me that skin issues are related to digestion and that I could have a bug. I am taking Aloe Vera juice, Lauricidin, probiotics and using clary sage externally. I just started this so I'll let you know how it goes. Is it possible you picked up a bug during the floods. Have you checked with you health care provider? Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tina!  Thanks for the reply!  I missed it.

It's entirely possible and I've mentioned that to the 7 dermatologists I've seen...  They just keep saying different things: It's food, it's not food, it's an allergic reaction, don't bother getting rid of all your scented things, it's not an allergic reaction...   It's a little frustrating!  :)

I am planning to add probiotics and will try the Aloe Vera juice.

Thanks!

I don't have eczema, but I get really itchy from non-organic eggs and too many nightshades can trigger inflammation for me (I'm an ex-nightshade addict, I had tomatoes + eggplant + chilli + capsicum, all in the one dish lol).

I'm not sure you should ignore the flood trigger. Post-flood infections are common world-wide. Your local state emergency service might be able to provide some specific post-flood test recommendations? (even though it was awhile ago, might be the same tests)

• 3 weeks later...

I also have eczema (dyshidrotic as well as your "standard" eczema).  I am 4 days into my second whole 30.  I quit the first one two weeks in because I had a massive flare and got very discouraged.  Since that first round, I've discovered numerous contact allergies (too many to list).  By avoiding all those things, I've pretty much eliminated the eczema, itching and weird rashes that I used to get on my face, neck, and arms.  Now, I'm just down to the remaining eczema on my hands and wrists.

No advice, really... but I wanted you to know that you're not alone!  Eczema can seriously affect your quality of life.  I've had it my entire life, but it's gotten really bad the past 2-3 years.  Until I discovered the contact allergies, I was itching every single moment I was awake.  I hope this whole 30 does help.

Thank you!  

I finished my first Whole30 and saw it starting to clear up, mostly.   :)

Then... Memorial Day weekend happened...  

I was out of town with a bunch of people, and was helping buy and cook all the food and my inner four year old said that I should get to have beer and chips and burgers, too!   So, there was no reintroduction slowly, I just ate all the things... 

Now, I'm on Day 3 of my 2nd Whole30.   :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 17 days in, and my hands are clear for the first time in years. They aren't itching! I can type or handle salty foods without pain!! It seems too good to be true. I'm not conviced it's permanent; it could be coincidence. I'll be anxious to see what reintroduction looks like for me!

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat. I did a Whole30 in December but it didn't clear up at all. I'm trying one again because I just can't handle it anymore. Maybe if I just stick to it for longer it will start to clear up? We shall see...

I'm so glad to hear you have had healing! Are you still clear?  

My hands were mostly clear, until I reintroduced wheat/grains.  I am going to do another whole 30 starting next week, because when I introduced a few things back in, my diet went right back to normal.  Along with that, my hands went back to normal, which for me means lots of itching and eczema.  I need to just adopt the whole 30 as a lifestyle, so I'm starting again next week after we list our house.  Trying to do a bunch of work on our house while starting a whole 30 would just be too much for me at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived