Exhausted and Unable to Concentrate...Push Through?

Hi, I just finished day 8 of my first Whole30, and I'm having a really hard time.  I'm overwhelmingly exhausted for most of the day, even though I'm getting about as much sleep as I normally do.  I'm having a really hard time concentrating (mostly because all I can think about is wanting to take a nap), and when I am going through many of my daily activities, I feel like I'm in the middle of a really thick, head-cold fog.  I've done Paleo before (though not the Whole30) and never had any of these problems.  As far as general digestive health goes, I feel so much better, but the lack of energy is really getting to me.  I'm a student and in the middle of what will be another two weeks of midterms, and I'm beginning to get worried about the Whole30 getting in the way of my school work.  I'm careful to drink a lot of water, though as far as my diet goes, I may have been erring on the side of more protein/fewer carbs (after reading some of the other threads, I've been trying to fix that).  I was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar, and whether it went away within a reasonable time frame?  Really, any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks so much!

You seem to be roughly on schedule -- see the Whole30 timeline. Part of what you're experiencing is genuine tiredness without the artificial high from sugar and refined carbs to prop you up. When you start adjusting to burning fat, it'll get much, much better. Push on!

I experienced the exact same thing during my Whole30, I was struggling through the day and often coming home from work and having a nap.  I had one really awful weekend where I hardly made it out of bed and was considering giving up but it did get better for me.  It's no fun but I'm sure in only a very short while it will pass and you'll feel much better and once you start experiencing the added energy you'll be so glad you pushed through.

I was dealing with that, too, and I'm on Day 11 now and feel much better.

I found that if I have a starchier veggie or some fruit at breakfast, I do better all day long.  It just takes a little tweaking to see what is right for you.  Hang in there!  :)

Archived