anniversary dinner during reintroduction

So I completed Whole30 yesterday and I want to start my reintroduction today.  I just read the schedule and don't know what to do. Saturday night my husband I are going out to dinner to celebrate our anniversary and the meal will be WAY OFF WHOLE30.  I could ask him to change the reservations, but I know he will be upset about this, since he planned this knowing whole30 would be over.

According to the reintro schedule I should be doing legumes today, Whole 30 tomorrow and Friday, and non-gluten grains Saturday.  How do I do my reintroduction but allow Saturday to be a complete off-road? OR is this going to basically kill my entire whole30 work?  

Please help!

First off, congrats on completing your Whole30!

Secondly, you only need to reintroduce food items you want to eat again, or are curious about in terms of your physical/psychological reaction.

I'd recommend picking one food group to reintro today: maybe the one you're most curious about and most want to eat again. After that, go back to Whole30 eating Thursday and Friday.

Then, go out Saturday night and enjoy your dinner.  I would caution you about going "way off road," as you might not feel so terrific afterward. Give yourself at least 2 days of Whole30 eating after that, and then return to reintroductions.

I've wondered about this- what if a social event comes up during the reintroduction period. I'm going to be celebrating both mothers day and my brother in law's birthday in the next week and a half and I really don't want to have to turn down something delicious AGAIN after going without for a month but at the same time I don't want to screw up my reintro at all either. So you say indulge and then just eat compliant for a few days and go back to reintros? It wouldn't be going hog wild, but there might be a slice of cake involved.....

So you say indulge and then just eat compliant for a few days and go back to reintros? It wouldn't be going hog wild, but there might be a slice of cake involved.....

Yup.  While not an ideal situation, it's a possible way to navigate your reintroductions through special events.  

If you're having cake at one of these events, you might want to reintro gluten beforehand, so you'll have an idea of how your body will tolerate it.

I might try to make it so I make dessert, that way I can make gluten free or paleo fied cupcakes instead. My husband and daughter are gluten intolerant so I usually make them their own anyway.

Just because you are going on a special dinner doesn't mean you have to choose off plan foods.  You can still have a delicious meal with stuff on plan.  And, you can make a conscious choice about only choosing one group at a meal.

I like the idea of introducing that food ahead of the special day, though.  It would be no fun to have a bad reaction during the event!

Archived