If feeling low on energy at day 29

Could I perhaps maybe eat sweet potatoes pre workout even if it's not a over an hour workout? I had half of a huge sweet potatoe as part of my dinner tonight and I'm feeling better. Or should I stick with fat plus protein pre and lean protein and starch post? Also it's ok if I have a sweet potato for lunch and dinner right? I'm 6ft 40y 210lb male that's really active.

• Moderators

It is bad to put the bulk/fiber of sweet potato in your stomach before a workout. Stay with a little protein and fat.

It is okay to eat sweet potato twice per day, but remember that variety is a good thing.

• Moderators

Whatever you do, don't eat carbs before your workout, that'll keep your body dependent on using sugar for fuel. You want to change to fat as fuel, believe me.

Snarf those carbs (and some lean protein) after your workout. If you're having low energy, you probably need to give your body some time to adapt to its new fuel source. Don't fight this, take it easy for a few days while it happens. It took me about 10 days if I recall.

Roasted beets are good option for a carby veggie. Peel, cube, toss with melted coconut oil, a squeeze of orange juice, a sprinkle of kosher salt and roast at 425 for 25 min or so (depending on the size of your cubes).

Also, Melissa Joulwan's Velvety Butternut Squash from her cookbook Well Fed gets made and devoured every week in our house. It is so delicious!

Ok. Thx guys! I wonder why it takes so long and it's seems complicated but I'll keep going. Maybe for a whole 60. So no carbs before workout but plenty the rest of the day after morning workout.

Chris, remember you were in week four before you realized you were relying too much on carbs and fruit, right? Have you transitioned to eating more protein and fat and vegetables yet? Until you do, and you've been at it for a while, you will not become fat adapted. Give this a chance to work.

Archived