sluggish kitty blood food log- any help is appreciated!

JL.Lake

Hello! 

I'd love your help... this round is not going well. I technically started 17 days ago; however, I think this log is my mental start over. Up until yesterday I thought I had completed a few rounds of 30. I lost 8 lbs in the process and experienced true tiger blood. I'm currently more like a kitten..no a really large lazy cat curled up on a windowsill just counting the days. My stomach is EXTREMELY bloated to the point I look pregnant.

Over the past 17 days, I have learned:

-there's dextrose in my salt. 

-The carnitas at Chipotle are the only compliant meat option

-I should probably lessen the amount of coconut oil/ghee/avocado etc. I use while cooking

- nuts make my stomach hurt

(My weight typically fluctuates +/-3, but I've gained 7 lbs these past 17 day. yes, I put the scale away. )

Goals for the next 30 days:

- stop focusing on the number on the scale but experience some physical (however small) sign that shows I'm on my way to a leaner, fitter self

-get my energy back

-stop eating such ginormous portions

-control the bloat.

Today, 5/8

Ml: 1/2 avocado, 2 eggs, 1/4 of my hand-sized steak, 3 handfuls of spinach

M2: 3/4 hand-sized steak, 1/2 avocado, large bowl of arugala

M3: bowl of curried mashed cauliflower with cocomilk, green pepper stuffed with grassfed beef, walnuts, raisins, lots of spices (posted by nomnom I think... can't remember)

too much food for a shortish person already in "healthy" weight?

It does not look like too much food to me -- it looks like a great day!   :D

Keep up the great work.  Keep eating like that, and you'll be feeling awesome before you know it.  You've got this.   ;)

Have you decided what you think is causing the bloat?  Did you feel less bloated after this day of eating?  Nuts and seeds can be problematic, as can dried fruit.  Some folks have a problem with coconut -- won't know until you take it out for a few days and see.  

Hi, Brewer! I'm logging per your suggestion from an earlier post this week, although name was changed for some anonymity. Thanks for the motivation. Yep, taking out fruit altogether for a couple of days then going to stick to just one piece a day. Hope you're doing well!

Hello!

M1: 2 eggs, 1 egg white, 1/4 cooked green pepper and less than 1/4 of beef mixture from last night, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil

M2: 4 handfuls of arugala, 1 stuffed pepper leftover from last night's dinner

(Post lunch I feel awful. Terrible headache within minutes of lunch and even more extreme bloat... I blame walnuts in meat mixture.) 

M3: boneless pork chop baked with sauerkraut, 2 handfuls of arugala dressed in olive oil, 1.5 cups sweet potatoes roasted in olive oil, 1/2 cucumber

Activity-

1 hour reformer Pilates class

Overall outlook-

Positive. Happy that I finished the leftovers and feel like it's yet another lesson learned regarding nuts. 

If the walnuts (and other nuts are bothering you) - remember that coconut is a tree nut as well.  You might try cutting out the coconut oil that you are cooking in as well.  

I was having the same problem and it has taken several days to feel normal again after cutting out the nuts and coconut.

Hi, Brewer! I'm logging per your suggestion from an earlier post this week, although name was changed for some anonymity. Thanks for the motivation. Yep, taking out fruit altogether for a couple of days then going to stick to just one piece a day. Hope you're doing well!

The lightbulb just came on for me a little bit ago re: your salt intake.  You found out there's dextrose in your salt.  We were all telling you to salt up!  {face palm}   :huh:

I will be interested in hearing if your liberal salting continues when you are using a salt that does not contain sugar.  So glad you figured this out!

If the walnuts (and other nuts are bothering you) - remember that coconut is a tree nut as well.  You might try cutting out the coconut oil that you are cooking in as well.  

I was having the same problem and it has taken several days to feel normal again after cutting out the nuts and coconut.

Woah, talk about another lightbulb moment! Thank you for this tidbit! I was cooking in olive oil and have been for months...we roast a lot of things and I know EVOO is bad at high heats, so I switched to copious amounts of coconut oil. I'll pull out the Ghee. Any chance you know how bad roasting in olive oil really is? 

Brewer, I bought pink himilayan...woah, it's delish!  :D

Woah, talk about another lightbulb moment! Thank you for this tidbit! I was cooking in olive oil and have been for months...we roast a lot of things and I know EVOO is bad at high heats, so I switched to copious amounts of coconut oil. I'll pull out the Ghee. Any chance you know how bad roasting in olive oil really is? 

Brewer, I bought pink himilayan...woah, it's delish!  :D

You really should not cook with olive oil at high heat.  Not only that, take a look on Amazon at the book called Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil.  Apparently, we are lucky when we buy olive oil if we are even getting olive oil.  I did a lot of research on this, and read somewhere that Costco's (Kirkland brand) organic extra virgin was actually found to be one of the top-rated ones.

Coconut oil does really well at high heat, and has so many health benefits.  Definitely try several days without it and see how you feel -- but I hope you don't have to exclude it altogether.  :(

And yes, our family loves the pink himilayan salt, too.  We got a grinder of it at Costco.  We also use Real Salt and I mix it half-and-half in the shaker with iodized sea salt... because I can't decide on the iodine issue.  That way we get a little of both worlds.  

Thanks for the book recommendation as well as helping me get my Costco shopping list for the weekend. I buy a lot of Kirkland products..shocking how quickly we can go through one of those vats of oil. 

On a slightly drearier note, I woke up feeling wretched. My bloat is pretty indescribable at the moment. Yet another culprit I'm eliminating today -- LaCroix and sparkling water from Trader Joe's. I'm praying I wake up tomorrow and I experience that magical feeling of relief. (clearly I am also working on patience.) I feel like I tried to slip on a child-size inflatable inner tube and it got stuck around my belly....

To summarize my learning:

-chill on the fruit

-try to cook most veggies

-cut the nuts

-temporarily cut the coconut oil

-take out the bubbly water

-keep trucking.

Positive note... I was so happy to blanch aspargus for the first time this morning. It sounds so silly, but it really is the simple things that give me joy lately. I have been happier which is WONDERFUL!  Why is that overshadowed by the stuck-in-an-inner tube feeling right now? 

M1: 3 eggs cooked in ghee and blanched aspargus 

M2: leftover pork chop with sauerkraut, blanched aspargus, about a cup of snap peas (I'm out of fat at home. Hopefully I'm not starving at the end of the day!)

Positive note... I was so happy to blanch aspargus for the first time this morning. It sounds so silly, but it really is the simple things that give me joy lately.

This is awesome, :D and this stood out to me as proof that you are determined and that you are going to stick with this.

Do you experience this kind of bloat when you are not on a Whole 30?  I'd like to help you figure this out, but I'd need more history.  If this is a pretty recent/new thing, it must be something you've recently added or that you are eating a lot more of.

I used to eat nuts & seeds to the point of major gas & bloating.  Definitely a good idea to have those out completely for awhile if you suspect them.  If this does turn out to be your issue, you may have to look into soaking/sprouting if you want to continue having them.  Just like with beans, when they are soaked & rinsed repeatedly, it removes a lot of the things that cause us digestive issues.

Coconut oil does really well at high heat, and has so many health benefits.  Definitely try several days without it and see how you feel -- but I hope you don't have to exclude it altogether.   :(

Brewer5 - do you have any suggestions to replace the coconut oil?  I have found that I cannot tolerate it at all.  I have been cooking mostly with ghee now, and when I use higher heat I am using duck fat.  Any other suggestions?

Good morning! 

Here is what I actually ate yesterday. 

M1: 3 eggs cooked in ghee, blanched aspargas

M2: aspargas, leftover porkchop with sauerkraut, snap peas

M3: (survived happy hour with colleagues and actually had fun!) soda water with orange, small plate octopus and greens with olive oil 

M4: leftover pepper stuffed with grassfed meat, walnuts, raisins, curry, etc. 

Thanks for keeping the support coming Brewer and Kmlynne... 

I think I may have solved some of my mysterious crappy feelings.... I got my period! I remember that Whole30 does change my cycle a bit. My period came early which explains some of my bloat. I have never been that bloated pre-period in the past, but I do think that was a major culprit. On the other hand, I don't attribute it all this... I have severely suffered digestion woes particularly with constipation my whole life. I believe it is predominately due to stress and anxiety. It has been an insanely stressful week as I finish a Master's degree, get a year-end evaluation for my teaching, as well as deal with colleagues being let go. I think I need to accept that stress wrecks havoc on my body. The past three months I have added yoga and Pilates into my routine. This has had a wonderful impact on my overall well being. This past week, however, when things got rough, I think stress won. I have to finish a thesis by Sunday, and I am excited to be able to take a deep breath when it is all over. 

So, I will continue to with all my learnings and continue to track coconut reactions, nut reactions, fizzy water, etc. But I must say that I woke up with a slightly smaller inner tube this morning and I am oh so grateful. 

Brewer5 - do you have any suggestions to replace the coconut oil?  I have found that I cannot tolerate it at all.  I have been cooking mostly with ghee now, and when I use higher heat I am using duck fat.  Any other suggestions?

Ghee (especially grass-fed) and duck fat (assuming these are healthy ducks, not "factory ducks, lol) are GREAT choices for healthy fats.  I hear Chris Kresser talk about duck fat in his meals when he does his podcasts, and I really respect him.  I've never had it (where do you even get it?) so you are ahead of me on that one!   ;)

If you still wanted to be able to get some of the health benefits of coconut oil, I wonder how you would do with MCT oil?  If you aren't familiar with that one, maybe check it out.  It is NOT meant to be used for high-heat cooking... however, I found out about it because so many people are using it in their bulletproof coffee recipes.  So it is obviously being heated in that instance.  But I mostly use it when I make my homemade nut & seed butters in my food processor.  I have also used it as part of a salad dressing, or even just drizzle it over a can of tuna with some garlic powder or some olives.

Avocado oil is another one I have seen in several Paleo recipes, but I just finally bought some and I have not used it yet.  I think I was planning to use it to make mayo.

I also use pastured bacon grease.  When we are lucky enough to buy uncured bacon from a local(ish) farm, I save the fat in a glass jar in the fridge.

If you still wanted to be able to get some of the health benefits of coconut oil, I wonder how you would do with MCT oil?  If you aren't familiar with that one, maybe check it out.

Brewer5 - I just wanted to let you know that I checked on the MCT oil and it is made from coconut....   I have decided to stay with the ghee (just have to get used to the butter taste again) and the duck fat. 

I found my duck fat at Wegman's but after your post looked into it to see how the ducks are raised.  Nothing said about it on the package, so will have to contact the company.  I hadn't even thought about that aspect.  If they are "factory ducks" I will have to try the stuff from amazon.

Thanks! So nice to wake up and not feel the nagging sensation that I need to start writing! 

Yesterday:

M1: 3 eggs cooked in ghee

M2: carnitas from Chipotle with lettuce, guac and pico de gallo

M3: salmon from a restaurant ( said to be dry-grilled), aspargas, cucumber, guacamole

I hope to enjoy the sunshine today on a nice long walk, but no intense workout planned. 

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mamas!

My eating was slightly off today, but spending the day with my mother and grandmother was well worth it. I didn't derail, but did feel headachy when my body was telling me to eat something and the only compliant thing was lettuce with lemon squeezed on it.

M1: 1 egg, 1/8 avocado

M2: homecooked brunch to honor my mom eaten outside on the patio --heavenly! sweet potato hash, 1 poached egg, 1 compliant lamb chorizo sausage, aspargas

M3: lettuce and lemon (while we brought pizza to my grandparents' nursing home.... so worth me being hungry as they were SO excited to have pizza. I didn't feel any urge to even have a bite.) 

M4: pistascios and proscuitto on the ride home

M5: 1 1/2 compliant sausage, 3 handfuls of spinach, leftover hash

Like I said, not perfect, but I was very strong against temptation this weekend: bypassed mimosas, pizza, pastries, drinks with coworkers, truffle french fries

Happy Monday. Happy it was! The weather was glorious. My wonderful mother made my eggs this morning then we shared our coffee before she sent me off to school. It was a flashback to my childhood and a great way to start the day. 

Today I had one of those "wow, my body is actually changing" moments as my pants felt just a tiny bit looser. The bloat was gone! This small step felt like great reassurance, although I know this journey is more than that for me. I am my happiest self when I am on a Whole30. This is a hard feeling to capture for my non-believing friends. I thank my hubby for getting it. 

I did eat dried fruit today in a salad that also had almonds. I felt fine after both...just guilty as I packed this beautiful salad then remembered my "lay easy on the apricot" thing. Sugar dragon is not squashed but certainly much better. I will be careful tomorrow as I don't want to go back to every day. 

M1: 3 eggs in ghee with 2 handfuls of spinach

M2: 3 handfuls of spinach, 5 dried apricots, almonds, chicken breast

M3: 2 small boneless porkchops (palm-sized) cooked in coconut oil, sauerkraut baked with apple and onion, 3 handfuls of spinach

1/2 kombucha

Activity:

Intense 45 minute spinning class no PWO meal --- contemplating starting those as I think that is why I ate two chops.

Woah...you know you have a clear brain when you can remember what you ate a day ago! 

Tuesday

M1: 3 eggs and 2 handfuls of spinach in ghee

M2: curry beef, 3 handfuls spinach, 1/2 avocado, oil

M3: 1/2 avocado, chicken breast, 3 handfuls arugala, 2 small sweet potatoes (yes, 2!!!  :o)

Activity 

AM- One hour Pilates before work

PM- 1 hour weights/cardio (tough!) class

Wednesday-Today!

Wonderful day despite what would typically be a high anxiety workday. woo! 

M1: 2 eggs, crumbled curry beef, 2 handfuls spinach

M2: 1/2 sweet potato, 3 handfuls spinach, olive oil, 1/2 cucumber, crumbled curry beef

M3: (6:30) PRE WO beef patty made w almond flour, egg, onion, and dashes of cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, salt, tumeric; 3 handfuls spinach

Activity: (7:30) 1 hour bootcamp class....kicked my butt, but I felt like I was rocking the workout. (which is rare.)

POST: (15 minutes after class) 1/2 beef patty and 1 sweet potato roasted in ghee

If you are into PRE and POST WO mini meals, how does this look? PRE too early?

Woah...you know you have a clear brain when you can remember what you ate a day ago! 

If you are into PRE and POST WO mini meals, how does this look? PRE too early?

Is it sad (or scary)  :P  that I actually realized you had not checked in?  haha

I do not think your PRE was too early at all.  Especially if you felt like you were rocking your workout.  I mean, that is awesome.  Whatever works -- keep it up!

POST -- they say stick to the carbs & protein.  You don't want a lot of fat in this window.  You got some fat from the beef, so next time maybe try it without the ghee.  

Otherwise, things are looking great to me -- and it sounds like you are feeling great, too.  No major bloat?  And I don't see a dried apricot in sight -- good job!  ;)

Thanks, Brewer! 

No bloat! This week has felt really wonderful! This is the closest I've ever felt to the tiger blood feeling. I have yet another high pressure day at work today, but I'm surprisingly calm. Have a great day! As always, I appreciate your support!

Thursday!

I just used my new zucchini spiraler! Love it! My mind was convinced I was actually eating spaghetti. I just doubled up on fat my last meal as I was still hungry after my first half. I'm still playing with  pre and post WO after Pilates. My muscles are certainly working, but I'm not sure what my threshold is. 

M1: 3 scrambled eggs with red pepper (in a little ghee)

M2: 1/2 sweet potato cooked in ghee, 4 handfuls of greens, hamburger patty, a few tbsp olive oil 

(This is one of the first times I was very hungry between meals!)

5:00-Pilates

6:30-leftover 1/4 Sweet potato in ghee

7:00-2 compliant Italian sausages, a plate of zucchini noodles, 1 small avocado

Listening to the body... expecting a warm cup of tea then early bedtime. :D

Archived