I'm SO hungry!

I just finished day 3 - this is my first time doing the whole30, but I've actually done similar "diets" for lack of a better word like this with a health practitioner.  I feel pretty prepared for this whole30 and understand the difference between hunger because I just want to eat and actual hunger.

I feel so hungry! I know this is only day 3 so it will take some time to get used to this, but how do you not snack?? I'm eating all 3 meals, feeling pretty balanced, but I definitely feel like I need a mid day snack and when I go to bed I'm so hungry again and just going to bed on an empty stomach. Is that normal/fine to be pushing through hunger pains? I feel like eating healthy is something I can keep doing the majority of the time after the 30 days, but the hunger thing doesn't sound super appealing.  How long did it take before you felt like you had a comfortable eating pattern?

First, eat bigger breakfasts; second, eat bigger meals; third, eat more meals as needed.  It can take some time to figure out how much to eat at each meal so you are not hungry between meals.  Finally, make sure you are eating fat with each meal.  I don't know about the fellers, but most women are pretty fat-phobic.

Eat up!

What Amy said. I would just add: try including dense carb veggies like sweet potatoes, root veggies, squashes, plantains, etc. to your meals. Salads and such are not really filling, and these dense carb veggies will really help keep you full till the next meal.

Be sure to follow the meal template. And rule of thumb: if you're hungry, you're not doing it right! Whole30 is the opposite of being hungry. So eat your fill! :-)

more fat and a bigger breakfast :) I know when I've done it right as I eat at around 7am then don't start to get hungry until about 1pm :)

It usually takes a few days to need only three meals. It took me at least a week the first time and maybe four or five days the second (I'd almost completely fallen off the wagon). I remember reading Tom the mod saying it took him almost a week, IIRC, the first time. This is ok.

Instead of snacking have a mini meal that follows the template. Also, fat fat fat. You're trying to get yor body to adapt to fat burning v sugar burning so give yourself fat not sugar. (So snacking on say a banana or dried fruit will be counter productive.)

What are you eating? A lot of people come into this with the 1980s fear of fat or a calorie counting past and do a lot of chicken breasts and salads, too few eggs, too little fat and not enough food in general. Not saying that's what you're doing but it helps to see a sample day's meals.

Don't fear fat. Fat is your friend.

Archived