Food ideas for hectic/demanding work schedule

Hello,

I just started reading the book last night and I am really excited to find this book and website as a resource. I have some health stuff that we finally diagnoised - leaky gut and some food allergies, adrenal fatique and my cholersotrol was so low it was barely on the chart which I understand is really bad.

I have a more flexible day that would allow for lunches and snacks, but my husband has an intense work day that often leaves him racing from appointment to appointment and rarely allowing time for lunch. I am very concerned about his health and I'm hoping someone can offer some ideas on things that I can pack for him to eat that he could easily eat while driving to the next client, or if he does have five minutes to spare.

We were doing a lot of hard boiled eggs, but I recently discovered I am allergic and sourcing duck eggs has been a challenge. Obviously, he can still have them, but I think he's tired of hard boiled eggs.

What I am looking for are ideas for lunches and snacks that he can eat one handed and are still nutritious following the ideas presented in this program.

Thank you so much in advance for any ideas offered.

GG

Somewhat unrelated I suppose; but is it possible that you're allergic to what the chickens are being fed as opposed to the eggs themselves? I knew someone who thought they couldn't eat eggs and it ended up being a soy allergy. They switched to soy-free pastured eggs and blam! Problem solved! (I recommend Tropical Traditions for soy-free eggs:

http://www.grassfedtraditions.com/organic_soy_free_eggs.htm?__utma=159983352.266459698.1343586001.1343586001.1344226606.2&__utmb=159983352.4.8.1344226610452&__utmc=159983352&__utmx=-&__utmz=159983352.1343586001.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=159983352.|1=Visitor=266459698=1^2=FT=direct%7Cnone%7Cnull%7Cdirect%7Cnull=1&__utmk=204091472)

Back to the topic at hand though - I also have a rather hectic work schedule, I just make a batch of meals when I cook. It makes it so I only need to cook about 3 times a week.

-sliced up raw veggies (carrots, celery, bell peppers, and I think I saw someone suggested zucchini) are easy and delicious

-handful of nuts (not ideal, but better than not getting enough fat, probably)

-rolled up coldcuts (there's a few listed on here that are Whole 30-friendly, if you dig around the forum)

-jerky (as above, and I think some people have posted about how to make your own using a regular oven)

-leftover grilled meats that aren't too greasy/messy (I slice up grilled chicken breasts sometimes and eat them cold)

And, I think Pure Wraps might be good as an option. Carnitas and sliced avocado wrapped in one with some sliced veggies on the side would be a solid lunch and easy grab and go lunch.

Thanks for the responses so far. I love your ideas cak911.

Morganbrooke, It's taken me about 4 years working through and trying to find pracitioners to make sense of some of my symptoms, both western and eastern medicine. I finally found one who suggest we first look at my digestion. We did some extensive testing and I tested fine on soy, wheat and dairy, but had a major response to egg.

That is the one critisism of this book and program that I have. Eggs are a very common allergiene in people, so are citrus and a few other foods. I wish they would recomend going through a full elimination process of removing all common allergens and then bringing them back one at a time over the course of days. I'm going to start a more formal elemination diet for the purpose of narrowing down other food sensitivies. I'm planning on following Whole Life Nutrition and also using the GAPS diet as a referance as well. I read a post from another reader who commented that her skin condition became worse while doing the whole30 and she referanced eating a lot more eggs. My money is that she has a food allergy that she's eating as a result of this program and it's irritating her more now as a result.

What I did like about this book is the way they described leaky gut in a way that I finally understood. My doctor suggested I review Palio, GAPS and I think Natural Traditions. She said the smartest thing I've heard in a while when it comes to nutrition. We all have to individualize for what is best for our unique health needs. She wasn't 100% on board with not doing dairy and she had some other comments, to lead that we have to find what makes us feel the best and not everyone has a reaction to the foods that the authors of the book have. ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions please keep them coming! :D

Do you have a copy of Well Fed? I do what she does and on Sunday I do a LOT of prep work. I make up a big batch of emergency protein (usually ground meat, veggies, onions, spices...whatever is handy). I'll eat that for breakfast every day.

I also pack my breakfast and lunch the night before. So on Sunday night I'm packing my meals for the day on Monday. This just means Monday morning I put them all in my insulated sak along with the cold packs and I'm good to go.

Sounds like part of your issue is making time to eat the meals. Meals on the go could be meat muffins (this is in well fed) think of little meat loafs but done in a cupcake mold. Just grab and go. You could also do a wrap using lettuce leaves, and there is a whole 30 approved wrap as well.

Love your response hobbitgirl. Thank you! I used to make mini meatloafs but havent in some time, I'll have to do that again. I'll check out Well Fed. Thank you.

I can honestly say that the health stuff has been such a drain on me that meal planning became very over whelmimg, but I want and need to do that, I function better when I map it out.

Thank you.

Only for Amazon Prime members, from your Kindle, choose Shop in Kindle Store. Then click "see all categories" and a pop-up screen has a list and the last choice is Kindle Owner's Lending Library. Then do a search for Well Fed and download the book.

You can only view the book on your Kindle. Not a phone app or your laptop. Kind of a bummer because with other cookbooks that I have purchased I can view on my laptop and see all the cool color photos (I have an old keyboard Kindle, not the Kindle Fire). But can't argue with borrowing for free. :)

Good luck!

My wife is in a similar boat with celiac and multiple food sensitivities, so I really understand your situation and the feeling overwhelmed about meal planning. For your husband, egg muffins are a great solution - you basically make mini crustless quiches in a muffin tin (use muffin papers or they will never come out!!). You can vary the ingredients. We tend to use egg, coconut milk, grated sweet potato, and W30 compliant sausage, but you can use other vegetables, bacon, ground beef - whatever works for you. They freeze well, and you can make a few different varieties, freeze them all, and pull out a few at a time so you don't have to get tired of a particular combo.

egg muffins are a great solution - you basically make mini crustless quiches in a muffin tin (use muffin papers or they will never come out!!). You can vary the ingredients. We tend to use egg, coconut milk, grated sweet potato, and W30 compliant sausage, but you can use other vegetables, bacon, ground beef - whatever works for you. They freeze well, and you can make a few different varieties, freeze them all, and pull out a few at a time so you don't have to get tired of a particular combo.

I would love that recipe if you have it handy to share. Thank you. Not a cook here but I can follow a recipe.

Below is the recipe I started with, although I never follow it very closely. I usually add some coconut milk and a few more eggs, but if you aren't comfortable winging it, start with the recipe as written.

Sweet Potato Egg Muffins

• 2 tsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup chicken or turkey sausage, diced
  • 6 eggs, beaten
  • 1 large sweet potato or yam, grated

Pre-heat oven to 350. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, stirring often, add sweet potato and sausage, stirring to combine. Beat eggs in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper. Add onion/sweet potato/sausage mixture to eggs. Spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake until done (about 10-15 minutes).

Archived