Trouble with Hunger & Bloating

I need help diagnosing if I am doing everything right! I'm on Day 3 and have noticed my stomach is super bloated almost to the point where it feels like I have the flu (assuming it may have something to do with my intestinal tract). I've really been trying to eat everything in the meal plan but find it hard to get into the groove of enjoying so many vegetables and not grabbing a piece of bread or granola bar as well as finding approved fats that I can enjoy (besides avocados all the time). Am I having too much fruit? Does the bloating just happen but will go away as you continue to eat well? Does your body adjust to the hunger or should I be okay from the start if I add enough protein? This is what I've been eating the first two days: 

Meal 1:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, tomatoes and salsa, 1/4 avocado 

Lunch: Salad, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, balsamic vinaigrette, 1/2 avocado, apple, strawberries (was super hungry after this and realized I needed to add more protein....well protein period.)

Dinner: Chicken Breast, Broccoli with approved salsa, sweet potatoes 

Day 2: 

Meal 1: Scrambled eggs again, tomatoes, roasted sweet potatoes
Meal 2: chicken salad, cucumbers, 1/2 avocado, grape tomatoes, green beans, strawberries 
Meal 3: beef, fried egg, tomatoes, salad, watermelon, almonds 

Another struggle is making sure I get everything packed together before I leave, seeing that I work full time with about an hour commute. Would appreciate any help I can get! Thank you!

Congratulations on reaching day 3! Have you checked out the timeline? http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/.     It is a good guideline although you may not follow it exactly. The whole30 is changing the foods that you eat so your digestive system is going to feel messed up for a while. Are you taking digestive enzymes? Are you taking probiotics? These can help with the bloating. Also raw veggies and nuts can cause bloating so you may want to eat cooked veggies for a day or two and no nuts and see if there is any change.

Now for the tough love, this is a whole30 not a whole3. You need to be patient with your body. You are changing all the rules and your body needs time to catch up.

Your meals look good. You can add more veggies if you still feel hungry, the timeline suggests 1 - 2 cups. I like to have at least two different veggies at every meal if I can. Your fruit looks fine (1 -2 servings per day). and it looks like you are eating some starchy veggies each day. You can do it!

• Moderators

Review the meal template. Your food report does not include how much you are eating and many newbies do not eat enough. If you are hungry, you almost certainly need to eat more. Protein, fat, and veggies. What you are eating sounds okay, but Tina is right that raw veggies can be difficult to digest. Also, raw veggies are often not very filling.

Also, how crucial is it that you include some type of coconut in every meal? The meal planning template suggests a handful but I'm wondering if that is for every meal versus having coconut milk or oil.

Who says you need to have coconut at every meal? ;)  You need a compliant fat at every meal: choose one or two options from the meal template.

Archived