HELP! Can't figure out food reaction from eating out!

I am on Day 32 of my whole 30+.  Last night was the first time I have eaten out.  I called ahead to budakkhan (restaurant) ahead and they could manage my food options.  I ordered a bib lettuce salad no dressing- it had carrots and radish on it.  I brought my own home made dressing.  I ordered a steak and reminded them I am dairy and gluten free.  My steak and steammed asparagus and both were delish.  Fast forward about an hour later.  My stomach started hurting.  Totally bloated, gas pains and my stomach felt hard almost.  Got home about 2 hours after dinner and had bowel issues.  This is first time I have ever been able to tie reaction back to food.  I was convinced they must have marinated steak in something.  Called today, spoke with manager who remembered my request and swears just a cut of steak, no marinade (it tasted awesome FYI).  Now, I am not gluten intolerant (per testing) but I did this program to uncover sensitivities and I really think I had one- but what could it be? The only other thing I had was club soda (2 to be exact).  I haven't had club soda during whole 30 but drank it all the time prior.  Could it be the soda?

Do they use any oils to cook with, or a "grill baste"? Did they season the steak with anything that might contain soy or MSG? 

I personally don't drink carbonated anything because it does cause bloating and/or stomach pains. It could just be that if there was nothing in the food.

Maybe a Moderator can chime in with more advice...

Too big of a steak or too fatty of a meat could cause GI problems for me.  Just too much protein.

That, mixed with 2 carbonated beverages, would do it after 30+ days of not drinking soda water.  Your body is probably just extremely sensitive to changes right now.

My guess

I am confident the steak was not a bad cut.  I am going to try club soda this weekend and see how I do.  I have had club soda before when I was low carb and it has never affected me.  My guess is the "grill baste" may have still happened.  The steak was so flavorful and even grill appearance I have a hard time believing it wasn't touched with something else.  Thanks so  much for all the help!

The reason I brought up grill baste is that some chains (Carabba's specifically) use it on their grilled meats. To order off their gluten-free menu, you have to ask them to NOT use it. I'm not sure what's in it, but I doubt they are the only restaurant that uses something similar for extra flavor. That's in addition to making sure you order the gluten-free version of the dish- for some reason you have to specifically ask for  no grill baste as well. 

I still think it was the combination of it all.   Complete overload of carbonation, protein, fat and radishes (radishes can be an issue for some) was more than your GI tract could handle.  The hard, bloated stomach makes sense to me after you list what you ate/drank.

Either way, it shows you should be careful if you want to avoid problems.

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth, some restaurants use sulfites to preserve fresh foods and I've had quite the reaction to those.  It took me some time to figure it out -couldn't understand why lettuce and grilled chicken kept making my stomach so upset.  In the end, my doctor helped me to figure it out.  Might not be your issue, but thought I would share just in case.

Archived