Smoothie with unsweetened coconut milk and frozen pineapple?

Lexuslinda

After dinner tonight I used my magic bullet and took about 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk and 1/2 cup frozen pineapple and blended. I am on day 4 of plan. After drinking I feel like I got a little buzz in my head? Is this drink whole 30 approved. Did I choose the right fruit, liquids etc, ?????

Sorry Linda, liquid calories are definitely not recommended.  They want us having real, whole food that we are required to chew and that will help to keep our blood sugar steady -- not shakes or smoothies.

As for the buzz in your head... do you mean like a sugar rush?  What kind of coconut milk are we talking about... a can with just coconut milk & water listed as ingredients?

This would be considered Sex With Your Pants On Food. Also it is a total dessert because you had it after dinner when you would normally have dessert. Although it is really hard to fight the sugar dragon, when you eat this stuff you are feeding it. Good Luck on the rest of your whole30.

• Moderators

We want you to break the dessert habit during a Whole30. This was dessert. Moreover, we suggest you avoid smoothies and shakes. Liquid food digests faster, so does not keep you full as long. For the same reason, it lends itself to overheating.

How long will this desire to have a snack last? I probably wasn't hungry. Should have known when my husband offered me sardines and I said no. I am starting day 5. I ordered the book which will arrive today. I am hoping it gives me more information on how to get through this.

How long will this desire to have a snack last? I probably wasn't hungry. Should have known when my husband offered me sardines and I said no. I am starting day 5. I ordered the book which will arrive today. I am hoping it gives me more information on how to get through this.

On getting through a Whole30, there's lots of information available online.

- Review the program rules

- Check out the Can I Have Guide for frequently asked questions 

- Building each meal to fit the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat will go a long way toward ensuring your success. Your goal is to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours, minimizing the need to snack.

- As you experiment with portion sizes, if you find that you're genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal containing a protein and fat.

- To get an idea how going through the 30 days can look for you, check out the Whole30 timeline

I'm 33 days in and still desire an evening snack, even though at this stage of the game I'm not actually hungry after dinner like I was in the beginning. I kept on past the 30 days because I kept feeding the sugar dragon with raisins, and was eating way too many nuts/nut butters. Im hoping that by going longer I can break the sugar addiction and at the same time stop the desire to snack in the afternoon and evening.

I find if I miss a scoop of guacamole with my meal I am ravenous 2 hours later. The guacamole holds me nicely. No desire to snack. Yesterday yes out of boredom but not hunger. I resisted.

The book really does help!

This.

I read it cover-to-cover twice in the past 1.5 years.  

The first time, I must not have been in a place where I felt like I needed it as much.  I enjoyed the info, used some of the recipes and then I let my sister borrow it for awhile (she never did follow it or finish the book).  The second time, recently, I started highlighting important info and things I wanted to be able to come back and reference later.  I am finally doing my first "real, actual" Whole 30.  It feels like a breeze to me because I truly understand the rules and why I am doing this.

I'm 33 days in and still desire an evening snack, even though at this stage of the game I'm not actually hungry after dinner like I was in the beginning. I kept on past the 30 days because I kept feeding the sugar dragon with raisins, and was eating way too many nuts/nut butters. Im hoping that by going longer I can break the sugar addiction and at the same time stop the desire to snack in the afternoon and evening.

During the first couple of weeks in my Whole30, I would sometimes think I felt hungry after dinner. But then I would do an inward scan of my body, remind myself I just ate, and recognize I was actually pretty full. The craving was for something, but it wasn't hunger. Only once did I resort to a real snack late at night, and that was because I really did undereat throughout the day.

• 5 weeks later...

I understand the part about not having this as a dessert, but what it you had the drink with dinner? I don't mean to be splitting hairs but say instead of coffee, tea, water (which you've had enough of today), you have a nice dinner of chicken and kale and instead of a fruit you mix this up to drink with your meal? Again, not trying to be difficult. I am on Day 20 - and have done this a couple of times - not as a snack or a meal replacement but just to have along with my meal.

I understand the part about not having this as a dessert, but what it you had the drink with dinner? I don't mean to be splitting hairs but say instead of coffee, tea, water (which you've had enough of today), you have a nice dinner of chicken and kale and instead of a fruit you mix this up to drink with your meal? Again, not trying to be difficult. I am on Day 20 - and have done this a couple of times - not as a snack or a meal replacement but just to have along with my meal.

The issue is that it's a dessert and it's juice; neither are recommended. Even if your scenario addresses the first issue, there's still the second. It's not disqualifying (and twice over 30 days is negligible). It's just not the best thing for re-setting good eating habits and hormonal rhythms.

Yes, I understand that. Although - frozen organic fruit is not juice. I get it. I'll stop. I'm on Day 21, I'm not going to start over because of this misunderstanding. However, with the exception of wine, and the occasional "smoothie" I'm pretty sure when this is over I can do without all the other stuff! For the most part, this has been the most fun "diet/cleanse/new way of eating" I've ever experienced. I have learned to use veggies and spices in a whole new way and feel pretty darn secure that I won't be going back to the sugar, grains, dairy, legumes, etc. Except for wine. I miss wine!!  :wub:

smoothies made with compliant ingredients are not recommended, but having them would not require a restart. Here is the official word on smoothies: 

Smoothies: We'd rather you didn't

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn't getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it's had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we'd rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.GlmFP3EG.dpuf

Archived