I used to make my own sauerkraut - it is just cabbage and salt. You can find fresh (not canned) sauerkraut in most grocery stores that is compliant. Just be sure to check the label

I wouldn't worry about what is "paleo" and what is not. If you're here to do the Whole 30, I would recommend you just follow the rules and not get confused with other websites/sources. Paleo can mean different things to different people; there are plenty of foods that people consider paleo that are not part of the W30 program. 

Tradtional sauerkraut is fermented. You rub the cabbage with salt, and put it in a brine in a container, then let it sit for 2-4 weeks while the bacteria turn the sugars in the cabbage into lactic acid. It's been made for generations and is absolutely paleo. However, most sauerkraut made these days and sold in the grocery store is artificial. It might have started out fermented, but the canning process involves cooking it, which kills all the beneficial bacteria. They also add lots of preservatives and possibly artificial colors. Those are not really paleo.

The only brand I've ever heard of being traditionally fermented (and not cooked during canning either!) is Bubbies. They have sauerkraut and fermented pickles. Both are whole30 and paleo.

However, most sauerkraut made these days and sold in the grocery store is artificial. It might have started out fermented, but the canning process involves cooking it, which kills all the beneficial bacteria. They also add lots of preservatives and possibly artificial colors. Those are not really paleo.

Just want to tease this out a little bit:

Canning process kills beneficial bacteria = still Whole30/paleo, just not probiotic

Preservatives and artificial colors = not Whole30/paleo

Archived