Day 4 - Friday 9th May 2014

mumontherun

Hi All

I'm at the start of day 4 (just had my eggs for breakfast!) and I'm feeling a tad weak and headachy. Is that a normal part of the Whole 30? Also, I didn't sleep very well last night (I'm usually 'sleep like a log girl') and actually had a dream that I was at a BBQ eating and drinking whatever I fancied. In reality, I'm keeping my cravings under control by drinking loads of water (usually with a squeeze of lime).

My book arrived yesterday and I've started reading it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the science in it (I'm a mature student studying Sciences) but I haven't got to the food plan yet. I think I've been being ultra strict (I haven't had any fruit because I'm not sure which ones are OK) and perhaps not eating enough because I haven't got all of the information yet. Maybe that's why I feel a tad shaky? I have the day off college and my children are at school from 9am to 3pm so I'm going to head back to bed and devour the book today!

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm loving reading everyone's posts and really like the success stories....very inspiring!

Have a fab day!

Maria.

You are probably not eating enough. Have you downloaded the meal planning template? You should eat 1-2 palm sized portions of meat or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand. 1-3 cups of veggies, 1-2 thumb sized portions of fat for every meal. You can have 1-2 servings of fruit each day if you want. You can have any kind of fruit you want. You also should eat starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, squash, etc. each day. Are you drinking 1/2 your weight in oz of water each day?

You might want to go to the whole30 website and click on the I'm new link. That should have all the information you need. Good Luck!

I did the same thing at first.  I started my day with 2 eggs and some spinach and felt like I was just fine.  Then an advanced member told me the same thing - not enough food.  So I added hamburger or turkey and made a two-egg scramble in the morning (I still do).  I add my vegies (2 cups - I put spinach, green beans and sweet potatoes in it too to make it extra yummy) and some olives and ghee and call it a morning.  I add some of the olive juice too - even better.  It lasts me well into the lunch hour.  It seems like a lot of food - especially at first when you are used to eating oat meal and some fruit for breakfast!  But it really starts my day off right.  If you use coconut oil for cooking the cleanup is easy too.

I had a headache, nausea and was weak the first few days.  I think it lasted 2-3 days and then I rebounded.  Everybody is different but that's what happened to me.  And I was surprised how quickly the headache came on.  Now I'm feeling very good.  I finished my Whole30 a few days ago but decided to keep going because I have long standing health issues.  I've seen improvement and want to give my body as much time as it needs to heal.  Why mess with success?

I wish you the best.  Have fun with your Whole30!

Laurie

Thank you for the advice Tina & Laurie!

I've almost finished reading the book and it looks like I'm just in 'carb withdrawal'....as my old eating ways consisted of toast for breakfast, pasta for lunch and protein with rice/potatoes for dinner supplemented by sugary snacks and almost daily red wine. I guess my body is in a bit of shock at the change!!!!

Also, I think I haven't been eating enough as you both suggested. I haven't felt too hungry between meals but just a little weak, shaky and tired. I managed a run this morning but my legs were like lead. I've been having two eggs with veggies every day for breakfast but on running days I'm going to have a banana too. I think that will help.

Been really craving gooey chocolate fondant and peanut butter ice cream!!!! But, I'm now five days in so am really determined to see this out. Last night was a real test as I would normally have a few glasses of red wine and some chocolate whilst watching a movie on a Friday night.....but my steak, sweet potato wedges and spicy homemade salsa (tomatoes, chillies, avocado, mango, red peppers, olive oil, lime juice, salt & black pepper - yum!) hit the spot and I spent the evening sipping fizzy water with lime!

I'm having roasted duck leg with butternut squash (roasted in the fat that comes off the duck!) and spinach/rocket/watercress salad with orange segments & balsamic/olive oil dressing tonight. It's a spin on a 'dinner party' meal that we occasionally have but just substituting the roasted potatoes for squash. Easy peasy!

Bye for now

Maria.

Archived