On track, off track, back on track BUT frustrated

I was on day 21 of my Whole30 Challenge and had to travel for a week.  I prepped as much as I could and even took food with me, but ended up breaking my Whole30 with wine and again a couple days later with mexican food.  I could definitely tell I wasn't eating right.  I was extremely fatigued and irritable.  I even told a family member that I couldn't wait to get home and eat compliant foods again. 

When I returned home, I spend an afternoon prepping for the week.  It has been a week since I have been back on track and I don't feel the effects I felt for my first 21 days.  With my first 21 days I was happier, had more energy and felt leaner-especially in my stomach, which is my major trouble area.  Now after being back on track I still feel tired and moody and on top of that I am more flabby in my abdominal region. 

I am trying to figure out an explaination to all of this.  I am getting frustrated and wondering if all this effort is worth it.  Could this be my portions? (eventhough I am eating the same portions I was eating the first go around.)  Am I using too much oil to cook in? (1-2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil). I work 12 hours a day and don't have time to workout, but figured eating compliant would be better than nothing at all.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

It sounds like you are starting over from the beginning and not from day 21. In other words, you are recovering from a setback. And maybe before, you had the enthusiasm of inexperience. Now you know that staying on track is hard and that going off track has consequences.

Working 12 hours per day is stressful and has consequences for our hormonal rhythms. Eating we'll helps a lot, but can not overcome everything. Sleep is extremely important to shedding fat. Are you getting a good 8 hours of sleep?

Same story here. Traveled on day 21. Tried to be compliant but failed. By day 5 of travel going home I was cranky and irritable but we were in NYC traffic and missed a meal.

I'm back home now and back to day 1. I think it'll take time for my GI system to recover. Just give yourself time and accept it's back to day 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I found that my digestion felt amazing in the first couple weeks of my whole 30, then in the last week or so I was constantly getting bloated like I was pre whole 30. I kept blaming it on this or that compliant food, but then my period came and the bloating stopped despite being done and eating some non compliant foods. I realized that a huge portion of my digestion issues are hormonal, which make sense as I had HORRIBLE bloating problems while pregnant both times.

Archived