LisaLulu's reintro log

Day 31- Dairy

Have a couple slices of mozarella cheese with my breakfast this morning. Didn't notice any symptoms in the 4 hours between breakfast and lunch.

Had 1/2 cup of vanilla greek frozen yogurt with probiotics after my lunch. 20 minutes later felt a few tummy rumbles and a bit of gas like I always get immediately after milk/ice cream or yogurt. Most likely lactose intolerance which I had mildy pre whole 30 as well. 

Going to give my tummy a break and have a dairy free dinner! 

Day 32- Possible bad news for dairy. Last night my knees really hurt, although I had been sitting in a bent position for a long time on top of them and they only hurt for a short while. 

Today I have vague, unexplained body aches like I used to have very frequently pre whole 30. But I also feel pregnant (which is possible) so I don't know if it's the dairy or hormones. If I'm not pregnant should I test dairy again at another part of my cycle?

I would give yourself several days off of dairy and then see again how you react.

The greek yogurt should have been pretty much lactose-free, but brands vary.

Try maybe lactose-free dairy vs. regular dairy.  Hard cheeses, like cheddar, are lactose-free.  Soft cheeses (eg, mozzeralla) are not.

Make sure to buy lactose-free yogurt to try.  Or, make your own, using the 24-hour process, which gets rid of most or all of the lactose.

I still have no idea if the dairy caused it, my husband and daughters are both sick with a cold, I feel a bit like I have one but more just achy and it went away in the late afternoon/evening and came back again this morning and is fading again which feels more like pregnancy. I just want answers, that's the whole reason I was being careful with reintro!!!

Day 34- Gluten 

Decided to do gluten next since I might be having it on the long weekend coming up. I had 2 hamburgers with buns for lunch and I noticed a huge addictive reaction. When I reintroduced dairy (and treated myself to a few chocolate chips on the other days) I would take a small serving, eat it and think 'that was lovely' when I was done with no desire to eat more. When I ate the buns I had a strong desire to EAT ALL THE BREAD IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. 

We will see if there are any physical issues. Dairy is definitely out with the body/joint aches the next day, I felt too awful to make it 'worth it'. 

Day 35

Yesterday I had a personal pizza with no cheese and it tasted just as good as pizza with cheese! There is hope for a dairy free life! I also had 2 more hamburgers with buns (and a plain bun). Serious addiction to gluten I've noticed that I don't have with sugar or dairy or any other food. I justified it as 'well I'm testing for sensitivity, a big dose will give me the best idea!' and 'this could be my last chance!' lol.

Today? I feel perfectly fine. Still not feeling anything. The day after dairy reintro (which was just 2 small servings) I felt like I was hit by a truck. So maybe gluten is still in the running and as long as I control my pizza dragon I can indulge occasionally.

This is really frustrating. I feel awful now, but it feels like a cold and my husband was home sick with a bad cold yesterday and both kids had it a few days before that. So I'm not sure if I have any delayed reaction to gluten, I just felt fine all day yesterday and when I got up this morning. Plus my period is now late. Ugh! I guess I'm going to have to 'test' gluten AND dairy again at some point!

Day 37- Rice

At rice at 2 meals today and had an upset stomach afterward both times. Not sure if it was the honey mustard chicken though- the honey could have done it. I'll eat some of the chicken tomorrow without rice and see if the same thing happens, if not it was probably the rice.

Day 38- Had a serving of rice noodles on their own last night just to see if it was rice and not something else- got another upset stomach. I also ate the leftover chicken on its own this morning and felt fine. So I guess rice is out. I feel fine today though, I guess rice just gives me indigestion.

Day 39-41 Went off track for the long weekend. Had milk chocolate on days 39 and 40 and appetizers and dessert at a party on day 41. Sick, achy feelings left with my cold symptoms so I think it was the illness rather than any non compliant food. When I ate off plan this weekend I felt nauseous every time I ate sugar but felt fine after eating the appetizers (which were various compliant foods on top of baguette slices) which makes sense as my gluten reintro gave me no symptoms either aside from the desire to eat more gluten. 

Day 42- Massive joint/body pains and aches yesterday so it must have been the food after all. I ate clean all day yesterday and feel a bit better today. Going to restart reintros from the beginning and spread them out as much as I need to so I can figure out what it is and lay off any sugar while I'm doing them just in case it's the sugar.

The only food I reintroed that I really enjoyed eating was bread and it seemed to have the least reaction so here's hoping gluten makes the second cut!

Day 44- legumes

The only legume I eat is red kidney beans so I made a big batch of chili and ate a bunch of that. So far no reaction but we will see. I like them in chili and soup, plus I'm not completely sold on the 'beans are bad' idea so I wouldn't mind being able to eat them on occasion.

Day 45- It's hard to believe I ate an entire pot of chili with beans yesterday and didn't get one bit of bloating or gas. So clearly it was another food damaging my gut and causing the digestive issues before, not the beans themselves! 

Feel fine so far today.

Day 46- went way off course. 2 parties today and ate non compliant foods at both. Now I have indigestion but I don't feel guilty at all, my whole plan post whole 30 was to eat clean on the ordinary days and enjoy delicious things when they came up socially. It just happens that many delicious things came up on the same day :P

Day 47- HORRIBLE indigestion last night after eating off plan at the parties, woke up to crippling joint pain this morning. Oh whole 30, I love how you make me feel on my on plan days, I hate how intense the reaction is now when I go off road socially!

This is a fine place for this thread as it is about reintroductions.

I will admit I've just skimmed a bit but based on what I've gleaned this is my advice. Return to Whole30 for 4-7 days until you are feeling good again and then start your reintroductions over. Continuing with the pattern of 2 on 1 off when you go wildly off doesn't really work as well. When I did my first whole30 I knew I couldn't start reintroductions properly right away so I did the best I could than did a whole5 and then did reintroductions.

Obviously you don't have to do this but you are definitely reacting really badly to something and narrowing that down will require some precision. 

Yes I think I will do 5 days between trying dairy again and then trying sugar on its own. I seemed to have no reaction to gluten or legumes and only mild indigestion from rice, but I've had joint pain the times I've consumed sugar or dairy. You're right, I'm reacting terribly to SOMETHING.

I also found during my reintroduction that I didn't have any huge physical reactions to moderate doses of single things (emotionally though - yikes can I eat white rice until the whole pot is gone hunger be damned). However in my almost year of riding my own bike I've found compounding a lot of non-compliant foods at once and/or a lot of off roading in short time frames generally leads to physical and emotional misery. Life after Whole30 is all about figuring out what works best for you.

Archived