Forgive me Whole30, for I have sinned...

GlennR

Okay, tongue firmly in cheek there. But it sort of fits. I'm continuing with Whole30; I decided early on not to do a formal reintroduction of many forbidden items since I don't plan to re-incorporate them into my regular diet. But I will go off-plan now and then due to necessity or choice, and I wanted a place to register these "transgressions" and note down their effects on me -- so I have a running log of how various foods affect me. Thus, this is my confessional. :-)

Okay, so first off-plan item:

May 8 - Added 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to a blueberry clafouti I had for breakfast. No discernible effect.

Off to a good start!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 10 - Ugh. Making dinner, I saw that the tomato sauce for my cabbage rolls had added sugar. It was too late to go get a compliant one, so I just had to use it. Not a big deal, I guess. But annoying. 

May 14 - Made Nom Nom Paleo's strawberry banana ice cream for a family dinner. SWYPO plus almond extract.

Here's an exercise in logic: The danger of SWYPO is that the fake, not as good (even though technically compliant) food will just make you crave the original, unhealthy thing. So then, if the faux item is just as good as or even better than the "real" thing, then problem solved: there's no possibility of being tempted by the bad original because the fake is in no way inferior. SWYPO becomes SWoutYPO, and you and your healthy ice cream can live happily ever after, right?

Right?

I thought the danger of SWYPO is that you're filling up on treats instead of meat and vege - or was there meat and vege in the ice cream? :)

Oooh, that's a thought! 

But no: the idea of SWYPO is ain't nothin' like the real thing. I think you're thinking about food with no brakes.

Yeah, the jargon can get confusing sometimes. (And vaguely cult like...)

Huh I honestly thought that's what SWYPO was all this time. Not that it makes much difference to me, because SWYPO and foods without brakes are generally holding hands and going to the party together.

Guest Andria

So, I have question.  In your first post, you mention the vanilla extract as "the" off plan ingredient in your blueberry clafouti.  However, clafouti is chock full of off-plan ingredients besides vanilla extract.  What am I missing? Did I misinterpret what you were emphasizing and you meant the clafouti, rather than the just extract, resulted in no ill effects OR do you have a wonderful paleo clafouti recipe?? I am really interested in a good recipe! ;-)

So, I have question.  In your first post, you mention the vanilla extract as "the" off plan ingredient in your blueberry clafouti.  However, clafouti is chock full of off-plan ingredients besides vanilla extract.  What am I missing? Did I misinterpret what you were emphasizing and you meant the clafouti, rather than the just extract, resulted in no ill effects OR do you have a wonderful paleo clafouti recipe?? I am really interested in a good recipe! ;-)

Oh, sorry, I should have clarified. Yes, it was a Paleo clafouti.

Guest Andria

Oh, sorry, I should have clarified. Yes, it was a Paleo clafouti.

Gotcha!  That recipe looks lovely! and technically Whole30 compliant.  Yet, I suspect Whole9 would argue it's SWYPO if doing a Whole30 :( (I know you are not)

Guest Andria

I suspect Whole9 would argue it's SWYPO if doing a Whole30 :(

Hmm, maybe not now that I look at that recipe closer, as long as vanilla bean is used in place of extract.  I had done some hunting for paleo clafouti and some recipes use almond flour, so that would be a no no.

Gotcha!  That recipe looks lovely! and technically Whole30 compliant.  Yet, I suspect Whole9 would argue it's SWYPO if doing a Whole30 :( (I know you are not)

Maybe. But without added sugar, and yes, if you use vanilla bean instead of extract, I would argue it's just a fruit frittata. 

Add some spinach, if you want to make it more Whole30. I had a blueberry and spinach omelette during my Whole30 and no one made a peep. I think this recipe is closer to that than the "real" clafouti.

When dealing with off plan food and potential SWYPO after Whole30 this flow chart is invaluable: http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Whole9's-Guide-to-Nutritional-Off-Roading.pdf

The questions "is it special?" and "is it worth it?" are key for me when I'm in between whole30s. Sounds like the ice cream was worth it. Now just make sure to keep it special by not having it every day. ;)

When dealing with off plan food and potential SWYPO after Whole30 this flow chart is invaluable: http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Whole9's-Guide-to-Nutritional-Off-Roading.pdf

The questions "is it special?" and "is it worth it?" are key for me when I'm in between whole30s. Sounds like the ice cream was worth it. Now just make sure to keep it special by not having it every day. ;)

The link still does not work when I copy and paste, so here it is again for other people's reference.

A lot of what I'll be writing in this journal will be done in the spirit of humor and fun -- "tongue firmly in cheek," as I said in the first post. So for example, to be clear, I am never going to be in much danger from typical SWYPO food like ice cream and pastries, because I rarely eat the real versions anyway. The ice cream I made was for my family's benefit, not mine. The bit about arguing for endless ice cream was just me having some fun.

Soda on the other hand...

Yeah, anything that might remind me of a Coke -- i.e., any sweetened drink, such as juices or sweet iced tea -- is definitely SWYPO for me, and to be kept away with a 10-foot pole.

(Fruit juices are a definite gateway drug for me. I start with them, then move on to fruit sodas, and before I know it, I'm back to my two-can-a-day Coke habit. That's 16 frickin' teaspoons of sugar!)

The longer you eat this way the less that stuff will appeal to you. Trust me. I only drink fruit juice now when I'm very stuffed and coughing and I usually cut it with water and aloe juice. But I cut my soda habit a year before I even attempted paleo and I remember how hard it is. I like to drink lightly flavored mineral water and compliant kombucha now when I want some fizz, but even the fizz craving isn't really there anymore. It is amazing how things adjust over time.

And yes I realized there was a lot of tongue in cheek there, but having that diagram never hurts anyone. ;)

Glenn, if you can come up with a SWYPO version of banana lumpia I will be your best friend for life.  (Post Whole30, of course!)

Also, clarification of terms:

"food without brakes" refers VERY specifically to foods created by the food industry to mimic the flavors of real nutrition while providing no nutrition.  The result is that we eat more and more and more, because our bodies are wired to associate those flavors with actual nutrition, and the flavors are super-charged while the nutrition is completely stripped from them.  So we end up with food with no brakes - food we keep eating and eating compulsively, biologically seeking nutrition from these super-charged (and, our bodies tell us without us realizing, they MUST be super-nutritious) toxic food-like substances.  So we end up terribly unhealthy because we've been sold food that lies to us - food with no brakes.

SWYPO is sex with your pants on and refers to foods that approximate the foods without brakes above as well as Paleo sweet baked treats and related foods.  It points out that these foods are not as enjoyable as their non-SWYPO counterparts, they keep our minds thinking in unhealthy food patterns, and they move more nutritious foods off of our plates.

Post-Whole30, we're asked to consider both of these categories carefully, and to ask ourselves if it's worth it before indulging.  Everyone will have a different answer.  But we can still make our choices with eyes wide open and a full understanding of what the food industry wants to do to us.  (Cue Jaws music here)

And Glenn, banana lumpia is definitely on my list of foods I'm allowing post-Whole30.  So get on it.

Also, clarification of terms:

"food without brakes" refers VERY specifically to foods created by the food industry to mimic the flavors of real nutrition while providing no nutrition.  The result is that we eat more and more and more, because our bodies are wired to associate those flavors with actual nutrition, and the flavors are super-charged while the nutrition is completely stripped from them.  So we end up with food with no brakes - food we keep eating and eating compulsively, biologically seeking nutrition from these super-charged (and, our bodies tell us without us realizing, they MUST be super-nutritious) toxic food-like substances.  So we end up terribly unhealthy because we've been sold food that lies to us - food with no brakes.

Great points! There are many non-franken foods that I think fall into this category as well though. They are different for everyone. In my reintroduction period I found white rice to be one and I've always known (though try to forget) that cashews and dried mangos fall into this category as well even in their purest forms.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Glenn. :D

May 18 - At a belated Mother's Day brunch for my mom, after an otherwise compliant meal, I added a teaspoon of sugar to my French press coffee. I've gotten used to taking it black, but not that black.

I'm out of control!!!

Great points! There are many non-franken foods that I think fall into this category as well though. They are different for everyone. In my reintroduction period I found white rice to be one and I've always known (though try to forget) that cashews and dried mangos fall into this category as well even in their purest forms.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Glenn. :D

Yes, true.  I left that part out.  We can be triggered by compliant foods, even if they were not created by the frankenfood industry.  So then even compliant foods become foods without brakes.

I was thinking more about this because I feel this way about macadamia nuts.  They grow near where I live, and so I can easily buy them any time.  I have family members who had macadamia nut trees, and the process of harvesting the nuts, preparing them for roasting, and then roasting them is INCREDIBLY labor-intensive.  It's back-breaking work.  I think what makes mac nuts food without brakes for me is that I don't have to do the work involved in eating them.  If I spent the hours (days) required to actually take them from tree to mouth, I'd eat far fewer (and after all that work I'd probably need the fat they provided).  So some of this food without brakes idea comes from frankenfood, and other trigger foods may arise because of a variety of reasons, including our separation from the process of obtaining the food.  I mean, I complain when I have to go to the grocery store - again.  :rolleyes:

On it.

Excellent.

May 18 - At a belated Mother's Day brunch for my mom, after an otherwise compliant meal, I added a teaspoon of sugar to my French press coffee. I've gotten used to taking it black, but not that black.

I'm out of control!!!

Watch out world!!

May 19 - I had turon or banana lumpia (Filipino fried banana crêpe) with my breakfast, technically compliant (all Whole30-approved ingredients) but the very definition of SWOYP.

But this one is all AmyS's fault!

Love it!!!  Those things are so amazing.  Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

June 1 - Made and had Nom Nom Paleo's strawberry banana ice cream again after a family brunch. It was basically the leftover frozen bananas and strawberries I had left in my mother's freezer from the dinner two weeks ago (May 14), which we just used up. A couple of weeks between SWYPOs is not bad as transgressions go, I think.

Archived