Forgive me Whole30, for I have sinned...

GlennR

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dec. 24 -

Dinner - Bacalao and pan de sal

Dec. 25 -

Breakfast - ensaymada (brioche topped with butter and cheese) and Spanish chocolate milk

Traditional Filipino breakfast fare, especially during Christmas. I knew the dairy would disagree with me -- indeed, my stomach was grumbling within minutes -- but this food is tradition and nostalgia for me. Gotta have it during Christmas.

Christmas Dinner with family -

Starting soup had orzo (gluten grain). Lentil salad had lentils (legumes) and feta cheese (dairy).

Italian roast pork and roasted broccoli and bacon were compliant. (So was the baked salmon, but I didn't have any.)

Had bread and butter with the meal (gluten grain and dairy), and fresh-squeezed lemonade (with sugar).

Dessert was poached pear (with sugar) with vanilla ice cream (dairy and sugar) and chocolate fudge (sugar, chocolate). Had half a glass of wine with dessert (alcohol).

No major adverse effects. The feast was definitely worth it.

Dec. 26 -

Breakfast - ensaymada and Spanish chocolate milk

Again, rumbly in my tumbly.

Lunch - Bacalao (last of my stash) and bread rolls

Dec. 28 -

Had a late bacon cheeseburger with fries and orange coke lunch prior to watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens with my teenaged niece. Meal and movie were pretty good.

Dinner at her house afterwards with her, my sister, and brother-in-law. Meal was very Filipino: rice with meatball soup (pork meatballs, patola or luffa, and rice noodles in chicken broth), seasoned with soy sauce. So, non-gluten grains plus soy, minimal protein and veggies. (I was hungry again in a couple of hours.) Also had one or two (or six or eight) chocolate-covered potato chips. So fricking good. Cravings the whole day afterwards for sugar/chocolate.

Hopefully done with my holiday excesses for now.

Dec. 30 - Chocolate covered potato chips. Had a hankering for them after I had some a couple of days ago at my sister's. But the ones I got (from Trader Joe's) were a cheap-o version (my sister bought hers from Nieman Marcus) and not very good. I could taste the hydrogenated oils slightly rancid on the tongue. Lesson learned: if I'm going to misbehave, go for the good stuff.

Dec. 31 - New Year's Eve dinner at my sister's. Prime rib, cauliflower au gratin, roasted carrots, zucchini topped with cheese and panko crumbs, bread rolls, chocolate cake, juice soda. Then as the evening marched on to the turning of the year: crackers and cheese, plus champagne and apple cider. Some good stuff, but with all off-plan food groups amply represented.

Jan. 1 - Chocolate covered donuts for breakfast.

Happy 2016!

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully done with my holiday excesses for now.

Dec. 30 - Chocolate covered potato chips. Had a hankering for them after I had some a couple of days ago at my sister's. But the ones I got (from Trader Joe's) were a cheap-o version (my sister bought hers from Nieman Marcus) and not very good. I could taste the hydrogenated oils slightly rancid on the tongue. Lesson learned: if I'm going to misbehave, go for the good stuff.

Dec. 31 - New Year's Eve dinner at my sister's. Prime rib, cauliflower au gratin, roasted carrots, zucchini topped with cheese and panko crumbs, bread rolls, chocolate cake, juice soda. Then as the evening marched on to the turning of the year: crackers and cheese, plus champagne and apple cider. Some good stuff, but with all off-plan food groups amply represented.

Jan. 1 - Chocolate covered donuts for breakfast.

Happy 2016!

This is a good lesson!

Jan. 16 - Chicken gyro wrap and soda for lunch. Tingled from the sugar buzz.

Jan. 18 - Game day with family at my Mom's. Salad and pizza and brownies and soda for lunch. Leftover pizza and soda for dinner.

Feeling like I need to loosen the reins. Staying mostly compliant has been a slog lately, partly due to food boredom (though the Merguez meatballs I made last weekend did a lot to ease that -- very tasty). But it's also partly the sheer logistical tedium of having to plan out my meals in advance so much and doing all my cooking in intensive bursts. As I've mentioned, my current living circumstances necessitate my having to cook elsewhere from where I actually live to make my meals for the whole week. The work of having to shuttle back and forth -- buying groceries, and then bringing them to my mother's house to cook, and then taking all the cooked food back home -- has been wearing me down. I would love to not have to worry about it so much and just get takeout now and then. And I've been missing some of the carby food I used to eat -- not rice, so much, but spaghetti and bread/pastries and so forth.

Offroading doesn't seem to affect me all that much, as I've logged here. Minor symptoms at most. So I might let myself off the Whole30 hook a little more often, to ease some of the pressure. I'll see how it goes.

Jan. 21 - Half a glass of soda with dinner.

Jan. 22 - Lunch with a friend at a Vietnamese place. Imperial rolls, pork bahn mi, beef broth, soda.

Will be making an effort to alleviate food boredom by trying new recipes. Just bought pork baby back ribs and beef short ribs to try my hand at some new rib recipes.

Jan. 30 - Brunch at my client's event: had quiche (noncompliant ham, plus dairy, I think), bacon (noncompliant, I am sure: I could taste the preservatives), and a croissant (gluten grains). Fruits and coffee were compliant, though I had way too much of the latter. Jittery the whole day.

Feb. 2 - Dinner with friends. I brought my signature spaghetti squash pancit. They prepared a rotisserie chicken (store-bought, so maybe some preservatives, sugar), salad that had a little sugar, steamed broccoli (compliant), and cassava cake (sugar, flour) slathered with lemon curd (dairy, sugar). Also, had half a bottle of hard cider (sugar, alcohol). Nice dinner. Kept me up, though. Probably the alcohol and sugar.

Feb. 7 - Superbowl family gathering at my sister's. Overloaded on sugar and starches: pastries, soda, pasta, chips. Plus other bad things.

Ever notice that when you have sugar after some period of time of abstaining, your tongue feels like it's slightly tingling? Or fuzzy?

Tried two slow-cooker rib recipes in the past week or two. Well Fed's 5-spice pork ribs was good. Nomnom's Korean short ribs was just so-so. As I've commented on before: coconut aminos remains a less than adequate substitute for soy sauce -- not enough oomph. I would pay good money if someone would come up with a full-bodied umami delivery system to truly replace soy sauce.

• Administrators

I would pay good money if someone would come up with a full-bodied umami delivery system to truly replace soy sauce.

Have you tried making the aminos substitute from Mel Joulwan? It's not bad and definitely more flavourful than coconut aminos.  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/01/substitute-soy-sauce-coconut-aminos/(it's not Whole30 approved due to the molasses but since you are post?)

Have you tried making the aminos substitute from Mel Joulwan? It's not bad and definitely more flavourful than coconut aminos.  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/01/substitute-soy-sauce-coconut-aminos/(it's not Whole30 approved due to the molasses but since you are post?)

You know, the list of ingredients looks similar to that in Worcestershire sauce.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived