Forgive me Whole30, for I have sinned...

GlennR

Two and half months of almost perfect Whole30-compliant eating (with minor post-W30 offroading listed in this thread), and now I'm having dreams of chocolate? And in the middle of a disaster film/Godzilla sequence to boot! (I'm nibbling on chocolate squares, one after another, while walking along a pier while I and a crowd of townspeople wait warily for Godzilla to emerge from the water.)

Yeah, my brain is weird.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

First real offroading:

July 13 - Dinner with family at an Italian restaurant for my mother's birthday. Noncompliant ingredients included: parmesan cheese in my Ceasar's salad (I passed on the croutons, but decided it wasn't Ceasar's salad without the cheese), and potatoes in my grilled rack of lamb. I don't think there were any other disallowed stuff, unless the balsamic vinegar had some added sulfites. Then, afterwards, a slice of raspberry almond cake which, I'm pretty sure, had some flour in it and certainly a lot of added sugar. (My mother commented she liked it because it wasn't too sweet; I found it tooth-achingly sweet.)

No terribly awful adverse effects; in fact, I'm not sure there were any consequences at all. Maybe just a bit of a fitful night in which I woke up midway through (and that may have been the coffee I had after dinner) and a sluggish morning in which it took me longer than usual to get going. The symptoms were so subtle I'm not even sure the offroading had anything to do with it.

A couple of days after the offroading on July 13, I had a minor outbreak of eczema. Again, not sure if it was cause and effect, since the eczema comes and goes.

July 15 - Another family birthday dinner -- my niece's -- this time at a Swiss restaurant. Stayed away from the bread and cheese, but the rule breaking included: sausages (had no idea what was in them), fruits dusted with confectionary sugar and dipped in chocolate fondue, baked potatoes, potato crisps, and fries (not a lot of any of them, a few bites of each at the most).I guess the baked potatoes and potato crisps were kosher given the recent news legitimizing potatoes for Whole30, but the fries definitely weren't. Oh, and vegetable oils, too, since some of these were fried or sauteed.

Again, the adverse effects were minimal. Maybe a continuation of my skin rashes, some difficulty sleeping through the night. But I'm actually quite surprised I haven't been impacted more by these noncompliant ingredients.

• 1 month later...

Aug. 15 - Indulged (started with a few squares) in an orange peel dark chocolate bar, then overindulged (scarfed the whole thing down). Ingredients weren't actually too bad -- the only noncompliant item was added sugar. Still, it made me feel a little ill for a day or two afterwards.

Upside? Yeah, not doing that again for a while.

Wow, so nice to 'meet' somebody who had the same thoughts as me regarding SWYPO, basically that if the non-health-destroying (although I won't call it healthy) version is as good or better than the original, it becomes SWoutYPO, (or just S lol). and although it should be consumed in moderation, it's so nice to know I'm not going to ruin my health when I do indulge.

I am always on the lookout for those 'as good or better' recipes to become baking staples, a whole new set of recipes to pass down to my kids

• 2 weeks later...

Aug. 22 and 26 - Purple sweet potato brownies (a piece each day). They had a little bit of honey, but otherwise were made of compliant ingredients. Totally SWYPO, though.

Aug. 22 - Used fish sauce that had added sugar. Negligible amount. 

No discernible effects.

Two and half months of almost perfect Whole30-compliant eating (with minor post-W30 offroading listed in this thread), and now I'm having dreams of chocolate? And in the middle of a disaster film/Godzilla sequence to boot! (I'm nibbling on chocolate squares, one after another, while walking along a pier while I and a crowd of townspeople wait warily for Godzilla to emerge from the water.)

Yeah, my brain is weird.

Quick, someone analyze this dream for Glenn.  I'm guessing Godzilla is your sugar dragon ....  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Sept. 21 - Lunch at a Spanish tapas restaurant with family. I tried to keep it compliant -- had gambas, grilled octopus, jamon serrano (cured, thin-sliced ham -- very like prosciutto), fingerling potatoes. Per the menu, the ingredients were okay, but I didn't bother to ask what was in the salsas, sauces, and olive oil dressings. Too much trouble. I figured I had enough in the clean eating bank to withdraw for a few possible off-plan ingredients.

• 2 weeks later...

Oct. 3 - My sister added some honey to the pork marinade for the grilled pork dish she made specially for me (during a family dinner). She went to all the effort to try to make my meal Whole30 (going so far as to get coconut aminos to replace the usual soy sauce) that I didn't have the heart to tell her sugar wasn't allowed either. S'okay, though.

Oct. 4 - Lunch with a friend at an Indonesian restaurant in SF. My grilled fish had both soy sauce and honey -- and may have had MSG, going by the way my head became cottony and my neck felt like it swelled up. I also ordered, since I was offroading anyway, crispy fried plantain with vanilla ice cream. So add to my transgressions: flour, hydrogenated oil, dairy, more sugar, plus God knows what else. I didn't feel bad afterwards, exactly, but I felt knocked out. Fell asleep in the couch in the afternoon, then fell asleep again after an early dinner. Like someone slipped me a mickey.

• 3 weeks later...

More philosophical musings on SWYPO:

Okay, so banana pancakes are out because SWYPO -- because they're wannabe flour pancakes. But are kabalagala's okay? This is a Ugandan plantain fritter-like street food, with just ripe plantains and tapioca flour as ingredients. (The Nom Nom Paleo recipe book has a recipe of this.) It's not trying to be something else that's noncompliant. It's its own thing, a traditional food, already compliant. So, should be okay for Whole30, right? Right?

plantain-fritters-kabalagala-1275670l1.j

My vote: eat up. (However, if this is deep-fried, that would take it off of the Whole30 approved list. Save it for after Whole30, which I think is where you are.)

It was okay, though I still prefer turon (banana lumpia)!

Nov. 1 - Finished the Orange Peel Dark Chocolate

Nov. 6 - Had three squares of another dark chocolate

There seems to be a new satiation point for chocolate for me now. Two or three squares is fine, but more than that (say, half a bar) and I feel slightly ill afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Nov. 16 - Family dinner at a Chinese restaurant. Next to impossible to stay compliant, so I went the other way and indulged in dishes that I haven't had for months. Which means my transgressions included: rice, flour, soy, soy sauce, sugar, hydrogenated oils, plus whatever other hidden stuff goes into restaurant food. Also had sponge cake afterwards, so more sugar, more flour.

I felt really drowsy, even before dinner was over. Like my body was suddenly stiff with fatigue, my skull caught in a vise. But otherwise, no worse aftereffects. I was actually pleasantly surprised; I had thought that my first return to the sort of Asian food I'd grown up with would result in harsher symptoms. But no GI rumblings, nor the horror stories you sometimes read in these forums. I had been anxious about any serious offroading, but it seems I can take occasional noncompliant foods without too many consequences.

Nov. 25 - Office party. Had chocolate cake (which I made), pumpkin bread (which someone else baked), and half a glass of apple grape sparkling cider. Not too many noncompliant ingredients in the baked goods: some vanilla extract, maybe a bit of coconut sugar. Other than being SWYPO, the pastries were relatively okay.

The cider went straight to my head, though. No, it didn't have any alcohol; it was the sugar, boosted into my bloodstream by the bubbles. It did not sit well with my stomach, and the sugar rush gave me a headache. First sugary drink I've had in nine months and it did not agree with me. And I used to have a two-can-a-day soda habit.

• 2 weeks later...

Nov. 27 and days after - A little late, but here's my entry on my departures from the path during Thanksgiving dinner and the inevitable leftovers. Actually, I stuck pretty close to the program. Not completely: I had a little bit of corn pudding (with corn, milk, and sugar), sweet potato brownies (honey), stuffing (bread), chocolate snack cake (all good ingredients but SWYPO). But most of my food consisted of turkey with chicken gravy, roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted delicata squash, and cocoa toasted cauliflower -- all good stuff well on this side of Whole30 compliance.

No bloat, no stupor, no overeating. Not bad for a holiday infamous for overindulgence.

Now for the real test, though: here comes the Christmas season.

Dec. 12 - Dinner at Bridges Restaurant, Danville (trivia: a scene from Mrs. Doubtfire was filmed there). Bit of brie in a rice wrap (milk product, rice -- pretty sure it had some sugar as well). My swordfish entree had butter (milk product) and quinoa (grain). Also had a couple of glasses of lemonade (with sugar).

Birthday celebrations.

Dec. 15 - Family took me out to dinner at a Brazilian restaurant. Don't know what was in the seasonings; probably some hinky stuff. And since it was my birthday, I decided what the hell and had a couple of glasses of coke. First coke I've had since March. Then had gluten-free chocolate cake after; again, probably some verboten stuff inside. 

First time I really paid for offroading. Upset stomach and a touch of the runs after dinner. And I don't know what did me in, since I probably had a dozen noncompliant ingredients. I never did do a formal reintro, should think about doing one in the near future.

Dec. 16 - People at work brought cherry pie and sugary drinks for an small party for me. Pie was gluten free, but had sugar, corn starch, probably one or two other non-Whole30 things. Had a headache afterwards, I think from the sugar.

• 2 weeks later...

Dec. 24 - Jan. 1 - Since Christmas Eve, I've been pretty much off the reservation. All of my family were in town, and between family sit-down meals, holiday celebrations, and eating out, it's been a lot of the SAD, restaurant food, and worse: traditional starchy and sugary Filipino meals and treats. I've managed to eat some Whole30 meals here and there, usually when I eat at home, but often it's been the not-so-good (though often delicious) stuff. However, I've been able to contribute compliant dishes to family gatherings that were in no way inferior taste-wise to the less healthy stuff -- a little bit of counterbalancing and good modeling that I've been proud of.

No guilt: when else would I eat this way if not during this time of year, in the company of family, and enjoying tasty food and traditional Filipino goodies? And there haven't been any extreme consequences. Some constipation and other minor gastric perturbations (no details necessary), maybe a touch of lethargy. Nothing worse.

Back on track starting tomorrow. In fact, I'm making sure the next 30 days are strictly Whole30, so I guess this marks the launching of my second official Whole30.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived