Forgive me Whole30, for I have sinned...

GlennR

Saw this post I myself wrote some months ago in the Reintro section:

You hit the nail in the head about one practical life issue regarding Whole30. You become much healthier, you heal your gut, but that can also make you much more vulnerable to allergens and irritants you used to be able to ingest in passing. I plan to travel home to the Philippines sometime, and now I'm concerned that I might be spending the entire trip in gastronomic distress, since I can't imagine being anywhere near compliant with the food we have there (rice, soy sauce, MSG, tons of preservatives, etc.).

Post Whole30 life forces us to find the balance we can live with. For example, my understanding is that if you want to live part-time in the non-Whole30 world, you can regain some of the "immunities" you had before. If you continue reintroducing sugar (incrementally), I feel sure some of the protective lining you used to have will return, and your reactions will decrease in severity. You go back partway to the way you were. But of course, that would mean you live with a less than optimal and healthy digestive system. Tradeoffs.

For what it's worth, my personal solution is to more or less remain on Whole30 (very minimal offroading) and not even bother reintroducing for now, since I'm concerned about the sort of reactions you've been experiencing. I recognize this is not practical (or desirable) for some; it may not be practical for me in the long run (that future trip back home I mentioned). Eventually, I will have to reintroduce things that will make my stomach churn (literally :-). But like I said, we try to find the best solutions we can in an imperfect world.

Good luck finding your balance!

And realized those fears are gone. I've been offroading -- not too badly, I didn't fall into a junk food, soda-guzzling lifestyle, nor did I gorge myself on processed foods -- but I did spend the holidays eating lots of foods with starch, sugar, soy, legumes, dairy, etc. And they barely had an effect. Not zero, but nothing like the nightmares I feared. 

Cool to realize.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I'm actually sick. I'm rarely sick, and certainly not since I started eating Paleo 2 years ago, stopped smoking 1 1/2 years ago, and switched to mostly Whole30 eating 10 months ago. But my nose is dripping, I'm coughing and sneezing occasionally, and I'm running a slight fever. 

And I think it has something to do with something I ate. I had a bad case of acid reflux a few days ago. Came from the chocolate chili I'd been eating; I have reactions of varying intensity to nightshades and, I think, to hot spices. (Really should do a formal reintro to isolate which...) But this time it was fairly bad, my throat felt really burnt and acidic. 

And I think the distress from the acid reflux actually lowered my immune system, allowing a bug already in my body to catch hold and overcome my defenses. And so I have a cold, a rare occurrence.

Anyway, that's my amateur diagnosis.

Ooooo,  Glenn.   Rest and recover.    You know what I read for acid reflux...take 1-2 teaspoons of EVOlive oil.   Let it run down your throat.

Try it.   It might help.   It's also good for a cold.   I posted it once.  I'll find it for you..

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

Soothe sore throats or coughs by swallowing a teaspoon or two of warm olive oil, let it trickle slowly down to coat your throat.

It is said that extra virgin olive oil may help boost your immunity.

The same remedy is said to help with heartburn.  Use before you go to bed.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

Soothe sore throats or coughs by swallowing a teaspoon or two of warm olive oil, let it trickle slowly down to coat your throat.

It is said that extra virgin olive oil may help boost your immunity.

The same remedy is said to help with heartburn.  Use before you go to bed.

Thanks, MeadowLily. I might try that tonight if I still feel bad.

So many on here are getting the dipconnaroo flu.  Try it, they use it in Greece.

Homemade sore throat/cough remedies, containing olive oil are highly effective because when swallowed olive oil coats the sore throat, instantly soothing the dry itchiness, which is often responsible for the accompanying cough. Next, the anti-inflammatory components go to work soothing the pain and inflammation in the throat.

Dill Pickle Juice Eases The Pain

All you have to do is drink (Dill) Pickle Juice...Save the juice left in the jars after the pickles are gone... it tastes better than plain vinegar. You can drink it or gargle with it.

(I worked with a Japanese man who said his family ate dill pickles and gargled with pickle juice whenever a sore throat/cold was coming on)

Reintroduction: Non-gluten Grains

I wrote at the end of my second Whole30 log last week that I would be doing a formal reintroduction this time around (I skipped it the first time), but that I would do the slow version. So today, I started with non-gluten grains. I had: 1) corn with breakfast, 2) rice and corn at lunch, and 3) rice again at dinner. 

No immediate effects that I can tell. I'll monitor the next couple of days and see if that changes.

Reintroduction: Non-Gluten Grains (Conclusion)

Three days in and still no clear effects that I can attribute to non-gluten grains. I had a minor outbreak of eczema, but that's more likely from the green bell pepper in the egg muffins I had (I have inflammatory reactions to some nightshades). I've been tired the past couple of days, but then I'm still recovering from a nasty cold. Bottom line, any adverse reactions to non-gluten grains are so ambiguous or subtle that they can fairly be discounted.

I'm still not going to incorporate them into my regular meals. But it's relaxing to know I can have rice when I eat with family, or have some corn on the cob during summer barbecues, without worrying about it.

Mulling an alcohol reintro next. Tentative plan:

Breakfast - mimosas

Lunch - wine

Dinner - beer

I mean, per the reintro guidelines, we're supposed to have an item from each off-plan group once each meal, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Reintroduction: Dairy

Continuing my very slow-roll reintroduction. Dairy today:

Breakfast - Spanish chocolate milk

Lunch - slices of edam cheese

Dinner - coffee ice cream

Yup, dairy and I don't see eye to eye. Bloated after having each serving, tummy rumbling, flatulent the whole day, pooped several times. Plus I had these burning pinprick itches that would start from under the skin in almost random spots (behind my eye, behind my ear, above my lip, on my shoulder, near my armpit, etc.) and surface onto my skin. 

I didn't have much dairy anyway even before I started Whole30, so keeping away from it isn't much of a change. Nevertheless, despite all these discomforts, it's worth it to have it on special occasions. The chocolate milk and edam cheese are traditional Christmas season treats that I grew up with. I'm not going to avoid them during the holidays, they're too much a part of my childhood. And ice cream is nice now and then during parties. So on those and other rare occasions, I'll have a spot of dairy and pay the price.

Reintroduction: Dairy (Conclusion)

Almost all symptoms had subsided and disappeared by yesterday, the second day, except for a little lingering gassiness. So, not so bad. As I said, dairy would be an okay indulgence on such occasions as holidays and gatherings.

• 4 weeks later...

March 27 - most of a bar of dark green tea chocolate (all okay ingredients except for sugar -- but of course it was a chocolate bar)

March 28 - rest of the bar

Delicious. Left me ever-so-slightly ill and wanting more, though. But nice as a rare indulgence.

• 2 weeks later...

April 5 - Family Easter brunch at my mother's. It was Filipino-themed, so there were Filipino breakfast meats (with soy sauce, sugar, food coloring, preservatives), pastries (sugar, flour, cheese, etc.), and fried rice. Plus had a glass of Coke, which gave me literally a sugar rush (felt like a cold chill went through my blood). The rest made my tummy rumbly, but nothing worse.

Brought compliant tapa to the feast, just to show that you could do Filipino breakfasts and stay Whole30.

• 2 weeks later...

April 11 - Another family lunch, with family friends, and again with Filipino food. The usual culprits were there: rice, soy sauce, added sugar, dairy, etc. Plus I OD'ed on coffee and Coke as we whiled away the whole afternoon chatting away. A few rumblings from the non-compliant stuff, but more pronounced were the cravings days after for caffeine and sugar. Took several days for the cravings to fade.

EDIT:

Oh, and sleep was also disrupted for several days.

• 1 month later...

Playing catch-up:

May 10 - Mother's Day lunch at my sister's. I prepared half the feast, which I made compliant. But I partook of the other half, which included bread (grains), butter (dairy), potato salad (store-bought mayo), soda (sugar), and ice cream (dairy and sugar). I was a little gassy afterwards, probably because of the dairy.

And I ate a lot -- something like three times my normal meal. So I also felt really stuffed and sleepy.

May 17 - Took my niece to watch Pitch Perfect 2, and we had burgers and garlic fries afterwards. (I also had some soda.) It's been more than a year since I've had restaurant burgers and fries, and I'd actually been wanting it for some time. Funny though, while having it, it was okay but nothing spectacular. So okay, that satisfies that craving for a while.

Very little discernible ill effects. 

May 18 - Business dinner with clients. I had Ceasar's salad (cheese, dressing) and seared scallops over risotto (grains). Oh, and lemonade (sugar). Very little discernible ill effects. Maybe I craved sugar a little a few days afterwards, nothing worse.

I keep thinking I should to continue my formal reintro, but it's almost too much bother to break Whole30 eating -- my norm by now. But info is good, so I'll get around to it. Someday.

• 2 weeks later...

June 1 - Pizza and salad and soda dinner at my sister's house. Also had a cupcake, which was so sweet I gagged at first.

Stomach got rumbly (probably from the cheese), got some rashes (from peppers), and got first a sugar rush then sleepy (from the sugar and starch). Also had cravings the next couple of days for sugar and starch.

• 2 weeks later...

June 14-18 - Nibbled my way through a bar of almond dark chocolate, a couple of squares at a time.

June 18 - I was making a late lunch when we had a power outage. I didn't know how long it would be till the power came back and I was really hungry, so I got food from outside instead. Got In-n-Out burger, fries, and coke. Delish, but I felt stuffed and lethargic afterwards. Otherwise, not so big a deal.

A sugary few days:

June 21 - Dinner at my mother's. I ate compliant but had soda with my meal.

June 22-23 - Nibbled my way through a small dark chocolate bar over a couple of days.

Archived