All puffy from sweet potato fries...

PamH

Hi again,

I have been lying low for a few months.  Several Whole30 attempts under my belt, but the best I could do was 56 of 60 days compliant; never with 30 in a row.  But, learned a ton and feel better! Now just to practice what I now preach...

Last night we went out to celebrate Mother's Day.  I decided my dinner was going to consist of sweet potato fries and chipotle aioli after tasting the first few fries.  Left the rest of my dinner alone and inhaled the fries since they were there and I love them.  That literally was all I ate; and it was a lot.  Between the coating they obviously used and the Omega 6 oil overload.  Ugh

I woke up this morning feeling like my face was swollen and puffy.  Ached a bit and just feeling off.  

So very much a lesson learned (again).  It just isn't worth the consequences.  Like a hang over.

I am resisting doing another Whole30, but I just can't seem to remove the little bites of non-compliant foods here and there without voicing out loud that I am starting another Whole30.   :mellow:  So I think I will.

Starting another Whole30.  Monday.  There are treats in the fridge for Mother's Day.

My non-compliant days were outrageous face first into chocolate chips and such kind of days.  I would go 15 days on Whole30 without seeming to have a huge problem and then wake up on Day 16 with intense cravings.  It was a strange cycle that I just could not break.

I consider that first Whole56/60 a success, though.  My taste buds were definitely rebooted and some bad eating habits erased.  My diet now is soy free, mostly gluten free, mostly casein free, mostly grain free and mostly sugar free.  I still need some work on eating meals and not snacking all day and definitely eating more protein at regular intervals.

I struggle with overeating and then restricting or exercising to compensate.  Long standing issue.  I have an appetite switch that seems to be flipped to 'on' when I first eat in the morning and it carries on for a few hours.  Honestly, if I could, I would eat the majority of my daily calories between 10am-2pm but I have a family and a job and a life that intervenes.

I just got home from the gym.  Cardio helped.  Maybe the sweat blew out some crap?

I would go 15 days on Whole30 without seeming to have a huge problem and then wake up on Day 16 with intense cravings.  It was a strange cycle that I just could not break.

Are the intense cravings hunger, or just cravings? Because if it is hunger, maybe this is your body just saying, "More food, please!" As I've posted elsewhere, I don't think it's strange -- and certainly not a moral failing -- that we binge now and then. It's kind of how we were designed: a feature, not a bug. The adjustment needed is not to resist it, IMO, but to binge well (i.e., not with chocolate).

If it is a craving rather than hunger, then please ignore what I just wrote.

Are the intense cravings hunger, or just cravings? Because if it is hunger, maybe this is your body just saying, "More food, please!" As I've posted elsewhere, I don't think it's strange -- and certainly not a moral failing -- that we binge now and then. It's kind of how we were designed: a feature, not a bug. The adjustment needed is not to resist it, IMO, but to binge well (i.e., not with chocolate).

If it is a craving rather than hunger, then please ignore what I just wrote.

Hard to tell if it is hunger or cravings.  They are so intertwined in my head.  When I am hungry, I go for the craving foods.

I think I will try to eat a steak when I feel this way.  A big steak or a huge burger.  What I seem to do is try little bits of this and that to avoid eating one bolus amount of calories and wind up eating more than I ever would have eaten had I just had a juicy steak.

I have a history of calorie restriction.  It has been a difficult concept for me to 'eat more'.  I am suspect that you are correct.   ;)

Hi again,

I have been lying low for a few months.  Several Whole30 attempts under my belt, but the best I could do was 56 of 60 days compliant; never with 30 in a row.  But, learned a ton and feel better! Now just to practice what I now preach...

Last night we went out to celebrate Mother's Day.  I decided my dinner was going to consist of sweet potato fries and chipotle aioli after tasting the first few fries.  Left the rest of my dinner alone and inhaled the fries since they were there and I love them.  That literally was all I ate; and it was a lot.  Between the coating they obviously used and the Omega 6 oil overload.  Ugh

I woke up this morning feeling like my face was swollen and puffy.  Ached a bit and just feeling off.  

So very much a lesson learned (again).  It just isn't worth the consequences.  Like a hang over.

I am resisting doing another Whole30, but I just can't seem to remove the little bites of non-compliant foods here and there without voicing out loud that I am starting another Whole30.   :mellow:  So I think I will.

Starting another Whole30.  Monday.  There are treats in the fridge for Mother's Day.

Monday morning is here.  Just not sure what I want to do.  Whole30 carries some big down sides for me.  The restrictions feed my control issues, calorie counting (unfortunately), focus on my weight (sadly) and obsession with food; but the good way I feel while eating cleanly is so positive.  What to do.  What to do?

Considering just going sugar free.  All sugars.  I rarely eat gluten, casein and legumes anyway.  

I've only been on for two days and I feel a little bloated? Do I need to drink more water? Confused...

I think it a very normal adjustment period for the belly to be bloated.  Some say it lasts for a few weeks or even the entire time.  If you are suddenly eating more veggies or more animal protein I wouldn't be surprised if your GI tract is a bit overworked.  

I hate to pop in with this random question, however, when they say to eat sweet potatoes, are they referring to white flesh sweet potatoes or orange flesh, I understand there are both, in addition to yams.

Sweet potatoes come in white, brown, orange, purple, who knows how many other colors...all are good options for starchy veggies. Often sweet potatoes are referred to as Yams in the US, these are also ok. Actual Yams like you might find in the southern hemisphere are good too, and fine for the whole30 plan.

Do note that we avoid all colors of regular potatoes including red and purple as well as the white and yellow-colored ones.

Pam, after talking with you some here on the forums, I can sense some of the struggle you face as you choose how to eat.  Whole30 isn't designed to be restrictive, really, but if it triggers disordered thinking or behavior for you, I can understand your thinking hard about whether or not to do it. 

As I've mentioned before, whenever you post a food log I respond with a "you need to eat a lot more at each meal" but then it turns out that this is one of the most difficult things for you.  I really feel for your situation, since doing what appears to be most healthy seems instead to trigger feelings, thoughts, actions that you don't want to include in your healthy life.  I really think you've done an amazing thing working so hard to deal with how best to eat in order to be healthy. 

At the same time, I know we're about the same age and at this age the difference between feeling good and feeling off, healthwise, is pretty significant.  Do you have a way that you can work with your healing/behavioral/therapeutic (not sure of the correct terminology here) tools for a while and see if those can be integrated with Whole30 eating?  I'd love love love to see you in a position where instead of a vicious cycle you get into a positive cycle.

And it's definitely true that you've made a positive cycle for yourself, with the "never give up" strategy of Whole30 attempts.  I commend you wholeheartedly.  Honestly, I feel like I'm rambling, but I want you to know that battling back from what you've faced takes enormous courage, and you get full credit plus more for staying alive and fighting to make a full life for yourself.  I just wish Whole30 could be like icing on the cake for all of your incredible successes.  Since it hasn't been, at least not totally, not yet, I'd suggest being as gentle and celebratory with yourself as you can, and then some on top of that.

And, ya know, eat more.  When you can.  You rock. :wub:

I hate to pop in with this random question, however, when they say to eat sweet potatoes, are they referring to white flesh sweet potatoes or orange flesh, I understand there are both, in addition to yams.

I ate the orange flesh ones in excess

Pam, after talking with you some here on the forums, I can sense some of the struggle you face as you choose how to eat.  Whole30 isn't designed to be restrictive, really, but if it triggers disordered thinking or behavior for you, I can understand your thinking hard about whether or not to do it. 

As I've mentioned before, whenever you post a food log I respond with a "you need to eat a lot more at each meal" but then it turns out that this is one of the most difficult things for you.  I really feel for your situation, since doing what appears to be most healthy seems instead to trigger feelings, thoughts, actions that you don't want to include in your healthy life.  I really think you've done an amazing thing working so hard to deal with how best to eat in order to be healthy. 

At the same time, I know we're about the same age and at this age the difference between feeling good and feeling off, healthwise, is pretty significant.  Do you have a way that you can work with your healing/behavioral/therapeutic (not sure of the correct terminology here) tools for a while and see if those can be integrated with Whole30 eating?  I'd love love love to see you in a position where instead of a vicious cycle you get into a positive cycle.

And it's definitely true that you've made a positive cycle for yourself, with the "never give up" strategy of Whole30 attempts.  I commend you wholeheartedly.  Honestly, I feel like I'm rambling, but I want you to know that battling back from what you've faced takes enormous courage, and you get full credit plus more for staying alive and fighting to make a full life for yourself.  I just wish Whole30 could be like icing on the cake for all of your incredible successes.  Since it hasn't been, at least not totally, not yet, I'd suggest being as gentle and celebratory with yourself as you can, and then some on top of that.

And, ya know, eat more.  When you can.  You rock. :wub:

It is slowly changing my habits and mindset.  I am realizing that slow change is probably the way it is going to be for someone who has struggle with a serious eating disorder for literally 34 years.  I have had good decades and bad decades but never decades without struggling at some level.  

As long as I am not going backwards, I am happy.  A good therapist has been part of the solution.

What I have noticed is that I CAN eat more as long as it isn't sugar and processed carbs.  I feel more and more "free" every day.  I really do.  I am a talker who loves to think out loud, so I post and ramble when things are good and when things are bad.   :o

Seeing how following a low histamine diet has nearly eliminated frustrating symptoms and low level depression has given me the extra motivation to continue.  

Thank you for chiming in.  I appreciate the suggestions, the concern and the compliments! 

Were the sweet potato fries also gluten free?  I only ask because Iron Hill Brewery - terrific brew pub, now with a couple of outlets in the Phila area - has awesome ones with three "dips" - I went with a friend during my W30 and scoped out a GF meal (and other W30 compliant stuff, of course) and the fries were not GF.  I wept.  I think they are dusted with flour or something before they're fried.

Nonsensical, but the end result was fantastic the lone (and last ever) time I got to try them.

Wondering if something in addition to the oil could be a problem...

Were the sweet potato fries also gluten free?  I only ask because Iron Hill Brewery - terrific brew pub, now with a couple of outlets in the Phila area - has awesome ones with three "dips" - I went with a friend during my W30 and scoped out a GF meal (and other W30 compliant stuff, of course) and the fries were not GF.  I wept.  I think they are dusted with flour or something before they're fried.

Nonsensical, but the end result was fantastic the lone (and last ever) time I got to try them.

Wondering if something in addition to the oil could be a problem...

Oh, I highly doubt they were gluten free.  I avoid gluten but I don't have huge troubles aside from triggering hunger if I eat it.  This was the fried in Omega 6 oils for sure.  I ate, um, a lot.   :wub:

Archived