Starting May 12th and concerned about carbs

tweedle914

I'm starting tomorrow and have completed all my shopping. I do have a concern as I have been low carb for 6 months (down 50+) pounds and I'm concerned about adding back in the carbs from all the fruits and some of the vegetables. I am carb resistant and I don't want to put weight back on. Anyone have any insight to help?

How many carbs have you been eating per day during the past 6 months?

You don't need fruit, so if you haven't been having much fruit don't worry about adding that in.  It's not a necessary part of the meal template.  If you do want to add in fruit, you could stick with berries and other lower carb fruits.

As long as you're following the template and eating veggies with every meal, adding in starchy veggies isn't required or necessary.  I need them because my body doesn't function well with fewer than 100g of carbs per day, but know plenty of people who feel good at less than 50g.  

This may sound scary, but don't even worry about carbs for the next 30 days. Just follow the meal template, eat as much as you need to each meal to stay full 4-5 hours till the next meal (you'll figure out amounts soon enough). Do not restrict your intake for fear of gaining more weight. Whole30 is an anti-hunger program! If your keep yourself hungry, that means the changes in your food habits will not grab a foothold or last long because your body will eventually rebel at the deprivation.

If all goes well, after a couple of weeks or so, your body will start converting itself into a primarily fat-burning machine instead of a sugar-fueled one. And that is the best way to get to and maintain your set weight: by burning fat instead of accumulating it.

Good luck!

Archived