Do you ever treat yourself?

Not on the whole30 but after. It's Mother's Day and our 34 th anniversary.

I'm a weight watcher. I know how to eat well and stay compliant. As a weight watcher I eliminated a lot of things from my diet long ago. Yet I'd treat myself to a piece of carrot cake and a glass of wine on my birthday. Well I had a glass of wine maybe once a week.

Sad huh? But allowing more into my life just led me to overindulging. Especially treats.

I learned to take the entertainment factor away from food. I use food to feed and maintain my body's health. I'm doing fine for my whole30.

Yet I would like to know from the people that maintain this sort of lifestyle. Do you treat yourself once in a while? Not that I feel deprived but maybe I do on a day like today when I might safely indulge.

Again not during my whole30 but later. I don't plan to re introduce much. I better off without what I've given up.

Sad huh? But allowing more into my life just led me to overindulging. Especially treats.

That doesn't seem sad to me.  That seems smart.  How does overindulging make you feel?  

Do you treat yourself once in a while? Not that I feel deprived but maybe I do on a day like today when I might safely indulge.

I treat myself when I feel like it.  If it's something really special (or even sometimes not so special) I'll have it.  It's a choice I make based on how I'm feeling at that time.  Over Christmas I went to a wine tasting and they were serving cheese with each tasting.  I know cheese exacerbates my acne, but made a choice to have it anyway.  And I loved it!  It was worth the pimple.  

Peg -

'The poison is in the dose'. Meaning, small "treats" won't be a problem. The thing I see with SOME clients, is that they do better completely avoiding certain foods. For some of the population, they are hyper-sensitive to the dopaminergic effects of food, and find it very difficult to stop consuming them. That's why I never recommend cheat DAYS. Maybe cheat MEALS, but it's really much healthier to think of food as not 'good' nor 'bad', but rather fuel, as you do.

Are you feeling anxious or hesitant about something, or just curious how others tackle this? This is a highly variable, "n=1" scenario, and your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps,

Casey

I lost 133 lbs with weight watchers. I'm working every day to maintain that loss. 95% of all weight loss programs fail. It's not easy but that's me in the avatar from last week. I look great!

I guess I'm not talking about a blow out week. I'm talking about a moment of one day I have a piece of carrot cake and a glass of wine.

Overindulging in my case opens a door for more. One moment a few times a year is all I ask for.

I love what I eat. I love the way I eat. This is no problem.

I guess I'm not asking for absolution for future indulgences I'm asking what do you all do? After the 30 days. Like it said I have no plans to re introduce much. I have no illnesses. Some food sensitivities I think might disappear if I stay off gluten but again I have no desire to add much.

I learned to take the entertainment factor away from food. I use food to feed and maintain my body's health.

Peg, is there any way to start seeing your current healthy diet as more than just fuel? It seems to me that if you put Whole30 on the "no-fun-but-I-have-to-do-it" side, and the cakes and wine on the "whoopee!-party-over-here!" side, you will always feel deprived and left out. And that doesn't sound like any fun.

For what it's worth, I've very entertained by my food nowadays. And this is a huge change for me because my old unhealthy diet pretty much left me indifferent.

Peg, I just wanted to say CONGRATS on your weight loss & yes, you DO look great in your avatar!   :D

It is hard to break those psychological connections we have to food.  For you, carrot cake & a glass of wine = a moment of pure happiness.  (In your mind). In reality, yes the wine will make you feel relaxed, warm, and happy.  The carrot cake will taste awesome (although after a Whole 30, maybe not NEARLY as good as it used to taste to you!)  And afterwards, you will probably have some regret when you feel like poo.  lol  Or maybe not.  But yes, these are all individual decisions we have to make.  I think the point is, to be mindful of our eating.  If you plan ahead that you are going to have ______ on a special day, and you look forward to it, and you savor the moment, and you stop there -- that is completely different than someone who finds themselves at the bottom of that bottle of wine or having that second or third piece of cheesecake.  Only you know how you are going to do with "food without brakes".

My personal experience is that I feel REALLY great when I am eating clean and disciplined, like on a Whole 30.  I am able to look back and see periods like that, like I am in right now, and I am able to look back and see periods where I was completely off-track, but it didn't seem so bad at the time.  NOW I can sit back with a clear head and say "What in the world was I thinking?!"  NOW I can see how awful I was really feeling, how low my energy was, how much moodier I was.  But I think to myself, "what triggered that?"  I know better, I've been eating pretty well for many years and read TONS of books -- I know the info -- so how did I end up there?  So then it comes down to figuring out your triggers and avoiding them.  

My goal now that I am feeling good is to try to stay clear-headed and feeling good.  There is NO bowl of ice cream, no chips & salsa, no Panda Express that can make me be a better person -- but I know they have the potential to bring me down.

Sorry, that got a little long, but anyway there it is and Happy Mother's Day!   :)

I'm done mine and today I had french fries with ketchup with my meal when we went out to eat and I didn't feel bad at all. For me, eating well at home is good enough because most of what I eat is at home. 

Really I'm not feeling deprived. I've been eating clean for quite a while. Not entirely like now but really clean. I view my meals as what got me where I am now. I took the entertainment factor out of meals. LI enjoy my company and don't need food to make the fun.

I'm glad to see some of us are able to enjoy a non compliant treat and then go right back to compliance. Again after the first. 30 days.

I've worked pretty hard to celebrate today. Mother's Day and 34 th anniversary. I scanned the menu and know what I'm ordering. I made my own ranch dressing and am bringing it along with me. I'm going to be fine. I'll save the cake and wine for when my 30 days are up. Very occasionally.

Thanks for the encouragement and wisdom folks. Can't do this in a vacuum can we?

• Moderators

Not on the whole30 but after. It's Mother's Day and our 34 th anniversary.

I'm a weight watcher. I know how to eat well and stay compliant. As a weight watcher I eliminated a lot of things from my diet long ago. Yet I'd treat myself to a piece of carrot cake and a glass of wine on my birthday. Well I had a glass of wine maybe once a week.

I learned to take the entertainment factor away from food. I use food to feed and maintain my body's health. I'm doing fine for my whole30.

Yet I would like to know from the people that maintain this sort of lifestyle. Do you treat yourself once in a while? Not that I feel deprived but maybe I do on a day like today when I might safely indulge.

Again not during my whole30 but later. I don't plan to re introduce much. I better off without what I've given up.

Absolutely I treat myself when not on a Whole30! Have you read the excellent Ride Your Own Bike? Very helpful!

Like you (and many people) I find it a slippery slope, especially with sugar and alcohol.

Sugar because when I have it, I just want more, more, more! It's the worst for me. So I work hard to make sure an indulgence is worth it before eating it. After I have a treat, I try to be extra diligent eat clean the next day.

With alcohol, it's just so easy for one glass of wine one night to become a nightly habit. Frankly, I love the taste of a nice glass, but I no longer love the feeling of the buzz. Weird, but true. And I especially don't like how much it effects my sleep quality and my overall good energy.

Hubz and I invested in the SodaStream machine and we make our own seltzer water. WORTH EVERY PENNY! It makes super fizzy drinks! We keep lemons and limes on hand for a fresh squeeze. It's divine. We also drink kombucha in a wine glass, another nice treat.

Honestly, a lot of what makes a drink desirable is the ritual of it all. Put it in a nice glass. Toast. Sit on your patio/deck/porch or at your nicely set dinner table and celebrate whatever occasion it is, whether that be a job promotion, the fact that you are alive or simply a Wednesday.

To your health!

Moving this to Off track/Staying on Track.

To answer the original question, for me, eating Whole30 style is already a treat!  :) 

I selectively off-road. Only good quality dark chocolate without soy, on rare occassions (no M&Ms or Hershey's Kisses for this gal). Some special meal while dining out or at someone's house that has risotto or dairy.  I love my red wine, but I have it substantially less often than I did before my Whole30.

Gluten-wise, I'm militant about staying off that 100% of the time. I was gluten-free for over 6 years before I did my Whole30, and there's no reason for me to reintroduce it, ever.

Oh yes. Ride your own bike was excellent advice. It's exactly what we tell our WW members. You have the program here waiting. Well stated.

I thought I had read everything. I have to go to the archives to see what I may have missed.

Archived