Physibeth's 2nd Whole 30 - May 12th - June 10th

Physibeth

Sorry - I was trying to add a picture and can't seem to get it to work....

I made these for dinner tonight - they were a hit! I used sunrise spice (WF) to season them and piled them on top of a grilled hamburger in a lettuce wrap - delish!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! I always pile my burger on top of my sweet potato noodles. :)

I am so glad I went in to run through my BODYPUMP class as practice today. I did not realize how far back my shoulder injury had set me. I also hadn't done a full class since I did my video on May 4th. Yikes did I feel like a wuss! Hopefully I will be better off for it when I teach Thursday night. I'm so sore and shaky now. I think I really need to recommit (now that the shoulder is feeling better) to getting at least 2 full classes a week in again whether that is teaching, taking, or practice. 

Day 9 Recap

Meal 1 (7:30am): 4 eggs scrambled into baby spinach sauteed in coconut oil, 2 strips bacon, raw fermented sauerkraut, black coffee

Exercise (9:30am): Teach Water in Motion (1 hr)

Post W/O (11:45am): (way too late ugh - see above post) 1 egg white, handful of baby carrots, 4 oz coconut water mixed with water

Meal 2 (1pm): grassfed burger with mayo, spiralized sweet potato sauteed in coconut oil with garlic salt (yes I'm boring)

Exercise (3:15pm): Practice BODYPUMP (about 1 hr)

Post W/O (4:30pm): 1 egg white, handful of baby carrots, 4 oz coconut water mixed with water

Meal 3 (7pm): 4 spicy salmon cakes (Quick and Easy Paleo Comfort Food), mayo, romaine lettuce, balsamic vinaigrette, 8 oz kombucha 

The timing of the post workout meal is still not ideal, but the content is better and it is definitely choke downable. ;) Not sure if I need 2 egg whites or if 1 is enough. Saving the yolks. Not sure what to do with those yet. Suggestions? Up too late again. Night folks.

• Moderators

There are 3.5 grams of protein in one egg white. I don't think that's nearly enough to refuel your muscles after BP. If I recall correctly, you actually want more like 25 g post weight lifting. That's about the amount in a chicken breast.

There are 3.5 grams of protein in one egg white. I don't think that's nearly enough to refuel your muscles after BP. If I recall correctly, you actually want more like 25 g post weight lifting. That's about the amount in a chicken breast.

Ugh...this is something I'm really struggling with. I know Whole30 says 15-30 minutes after exercise, but is that the absolute window? I know it sounds like an excuse but I just can't choke whole foods down that quickly after a workout especially if I'm the instructor and I'm certainly not going to eat 7 egg whites after every class. I've tried the plain chicken breast thing and it is so awful. 

(Again...if anyone doubted that the moderators are real people...this is me keeping it real).

I know it sounds a little weird (disgusting?) but have you tried baby food packs?  I am not one for eating after a workout, but have found I can slurp the stuff out of the packs without having to chew - makes it go down easier.  Also, since they look like those applesauce packs you can by in the produce section, no one will realize its baby food!

I say find what works for you.  If you feel like you can adequately refuel eating later than recommended, go for it.  You work out much harder than I do, though, so take that with a grain of salt.  

I love that you're cooking again!  Some of the meals sound yummy.  I have gotten so lazy.  I read spicy salmon cakes and think that sounds so good and then I think, nah, it's easier to just dump the salmon on my salad from the can.  LOL  As long as I'm not bored with it, though, I'm fine with the lazy approach.

I know it sounds a little weird (disgusting?) but have you tried baby food packs?  I am not one for eating after a workout, but have found I can slurp the stuff out of the packs without having to chew - makes it go down easier.  Also, since they look like those applesauce packs you can by in the produce section, no one will realize its baby food!

Are you talking about something other than just pureed fruit/veggies? Ones with pureed meat? I think if I was to go a more liquid route I would just do the work to find an approved protein powder, but I'm trying not to resort to smoothies on my W30. Set a good example and all that jazz. I might look at the pouches though. Seems like it could be very expensive. Definitely a consideration.

Are you talking about something other than just pureed fruit/veggies? Ones with pureed meat? I think if I was to go a more liquid route I would just do the work to find an approved protein powder, but I'm trying not to resort to smoothies on my W30. Set a good example and all that jazz. I might look at the pouches though. Seems like it could be very expensive. Definitely a consideration.

OK - I may have spoken too soon.  I have seen "organic" chicken and veg, beef and veg, etc baby food products on the store shelves where I have bought my sweet potato/squash/carrot BF.  All run about 1.80/package but I buy on sale.  HOWEVER, when I looked at the meat/veg packs, they all contain some type of grain.  Sorry.....

I definitely struggled and eventually gave up on the post-WO food during my W30.  I couldn't force it down, it was usually very close to a meal, blah blah excuse excuse - but ultimately it didn't work for me.  I think getting in some protein (ie. two egg whites) is probably better than not getting any...

Day 10 Recap (1/3 of the way done!)

Meal 1 (7:30am): swirly crustless quiche (practical paleo), 2 slices bacon, kraut, black coffee

Exercise (10:30am): personal training session 1 hr

Post W/O (1pm): 1 cup of egg whites scrambled with 1/2 cup of pureed pumpkin sprinkled with cinnamon and salt

Meal 2 (2pm): grassfed burger, mayo, spiralized sweet potato sauteed in coconut oil with garlic salt

Meal 3 (5pm): 2 grassfed beef hotdogs, mayo, mustard, baby carrots

Snack (9pm): coconut larabar

So yesterday got a little off track food timing wise because I was chatty Cathy again after the gym. I certainly didn't intend on staying around that long. I did have a good first training session though and talked with her about the post workout meal and decided that buying a good quality liquid egg white (cage free and organic) was a better option than not having enough protein because I didn't want to waste my expensive egg yolks. (side note...I'm going to start saving the whites when I make mayo so I can add those whites in). The timing of the post workout meal was certainly off but at least I ate it and it was good. We'll see how it is when it isn't hot out of the pan. I think I need to double the vegetable in it too. We went to the Lindsey Stirling concert last night which is why the rest of my meals were so wonky. I didn't have time (nor was I hungry enough) to eat a proper meal 3 and I couldn't bring food into the venue so I just stuffed some larabars in my purse in case I started feeling light headed. I did so I ate one. Concert was great though the venue wasn't really designed for no seats...stage was too low and I really couldn't see most of the concert which is sad. Back hurt so much from standing and straining my neck for 3 hours too. But it was fun none the less. Slept like a log last night from I'm guessing around midnight until 7. Progress.

Did you know you can freeze egg whites? I use the silicone ice cube trays and put them in a freezer bag once frozen.

Yay for sleep!

That is good to know. At the rate I'm working out and making mayo I don't think I'll need to do that but it is good to have in my back pocket in case I do. :)

Day 11 Recap

Meal 1 (8:30am): 4 eggs scrambled in baby spinach sauteed in coconut oil, 3 strips bacon (they were small), black coffee

Meal 2 (1:30pm): 2 paprika baked chicken thighs (make it paleo), mashed cauliflower with coconut oil, romaine lettuce with balsamic vinaigrette 

Meal 3 (5pm): egg salad (made with 4 whole eggs and 2 yolks), baby carrots

Exercise (7:15pm): Taught BODYPUMP 1 hr

Post WO (9pm): 1 cup egg whites scrambled with ~1 cup pureed pumpkin

Much, much better on my meal timing yesterday. The gap between 2nd and 3rd meal had to be that small so I could digest before class but otherwise pretty good. My trainer said getting the post workout in within an hour was good. I know Whole30 says 30 minutes so I'm aiming somewhere in the middle of those two. Slept pretty well last night though perhaps not long enough. Probably was asleep at 11:30 and woke around 5:30 and dozed on and off until my alarm went off at 7. My first real BODYPUMP class went pretty well last night. We got started and ended pretty late because of the class before us and me trying to figure out the microphone. I think I need to go in and practice just my transitions. Moving stuff around the stage and figuring out where it all goes. I got myself too close to the monitor during triceps which resulted in some feedback. Teaching WIM again this morning and probably going to CX and hopefully to Sh'Bam tonight. Raining again here but still warm which is making it kind of muggy...but I hope it will get all the cottonwood out of the air because my allergies are driving me batty. The last few days have been so bad it looks like it is snowing.

Hi Bethany,

I know I'm late to the party but I just wanted to add my 2 cents about boiling eggs and peeling them.

1) Bring the water in your pan to a rolling boil (make sure there is enough water to cover the eggs that you are cooking)

2) once the water is boiling drop the eggs gently into the water (you know that spaghetti spoon that never gets used any more?  Great for gently dropping the eggs into the water!)

3) put the lid and boil them for 1 min and 30 seconds.

4)  Turn the heat off.  Leave the pan on the burner for 6 minutes (for slightly runny yolks) or 7 minutes (for barely firm but soft yolks)

5) Very Important! - As soon as the timer goes off dump the hot water and run cold water over the eggs.  Pick them up and run them individually under the water.  Do this until the eggs are room temp or cooler.

6) peel and enjoy. Or refridgerate anf enjoy later.  The shell should come off fairly easily.

I have being doing this method for longer than a year now and I have never had a problem with the shell sticking to the white.

Hi Bethany,

I know I'm late to the party but I just wanted to add my 2 cents about boiling eggs and peeling them.

1) Bring the water in your pan to a rolling boil (make sure there is enough water to cover the eggs that you are cooking)

2) once the water is boiling drop the eggs gently into the water (you know that spaghetti spoon that never gets used any more?  Great for gently dropping the eggs into the water!)

3) put the lid and boil them for 1 min and 30 seconds.

4)  Turn the heat off.  Leave the pan on the burner for 6 minutes (for slightly runny yolks) or 7 minutes (for barely firm but soft yolks)

5) Very Important! - As soon as the timer goes off dump the hot water and run cold water over the eggs.  Pick them up and run them individually under the water.  Do this until the eggs are room temp or cooler.

6) peel and enjoy. Or refridgerate anf enjoy later.  The shell should come off fairly easily.

I have being doing this method for longer than a year now and I have never had a problem with the shell sticking to the white.

Thanks! I want to make more egg salad this summer (because I forgot how much I love it) so I will give this a try. If I want firmer yolks for egg salad or deviled eggs would I leave it for 8 minutes? 

Had a great high energy WIM class this morning and stayed for CXWORX so now my core is sore. Ready for a nap now. ;)

Day 12 Recap:

Meal 1 (7:30am): 4 eggs fried in bacon fat (no veggies - oops - was about to pile some kraut on my plate when I realized I had to get going)

Exercise (9am/11am): taught WIM 1 hr, 30 min CXWORX class - break in between to rest, change clothes, and I ate 1/2 a coconut larabar

Post W/O (12:15pm): 1 cup egg whites scrambled with ~1 cup of pureed pumpkin

Meal 2 (3pm): 4 spicy salmon cakes (quick and easy paleo comfort foods), mashed cauliflower

Snack (5ish?): macadamia nuts and raisins (yes I know this is something I tell people not to do and I wasn't even hungry - totally the wrong reason to eat and the wrong choice and I know it but I'm being honest here)

Meal 3 (9pm): 4 eggs fried in bacon fat, spiralized sweet potato sauteed in coconut oil

Got to bed around 10:30 or 11. Kept waking up for a while and then finally slept through until 7:30 when the yowling cat woke me up. (we still have her quarantined before of loose stools - sigh). I need to get a meal plan together and do some cooking/shopping today as I've run out of things I can just grab and heat at this point. Need to do a cleaning of the fridge first too I think. Yesterday could have been a very productive day but I succumbed to the tv and the couch. Need to not do that today. 

• Moderators

I need to make a to-do list myself so as not to piss away the day. Thanks for the reminder!

Good luck trouble shooting the need for more veggies. Some days you do great at it. This is what these logs are so helpful for.

Veggies have always been my hard sell. I've gotten so much better in the past 2 years and much more adventurous. I'm looking forward to my CSA starting up again in June because it forces me to eat more variety or throw things away and I get guilty throwing them away. I'm still struggling a little with the need for quick prep/little clean up lately which makes it more difficult especially seeing salad hasn't really appealed to me lately either. Whine whine whine. If anyone thinks I'm being self righteous when I reply about such things with my moderator hat on they need just read my logs to know I'm preaching to the choir here.  :rolleyes:

Went to the gym this morning and ran through the workout I did with my trainer on Wednesday. I'm not sure I got all the weight selections right but I tried to work myself to fatigue and think I did a good job. Cut my after gym chat short enough to get home and get my food in within 30 minutes or so of finishing this time. Yay!  :) Looking forward to a rest day tomorrow...praying for no last minute emergency sub requests (which is what happened last week).

• Moderators

I know it's been wonderful progress for you just to get into the kitchen more and make a diversity of compliant meals for this whole 30, so take this for what it's worth. I've made it a priority to change up and spice up my veggies, and Well Fed and Well Fed 2 have been a godsend. As has been my spiralizer. Maybe throw a zucchini or a cuke in that sucker now and again? Having a variety of sauces/dressings on hand to toss with lightly cooked veg or dip raw veg into is another go to for which the WF cookbooks have been terrific. And having a stock of different veggie possibilities with little to no prep and clean up has been a snap this way. Even easier than the cook up model, something I relied on during my last w30 but didn't like nearly as much as this.

Anyway, again, I respect your struggle and your own troubleshooting abilities. Just wanted to offer what has worked for me. And bear in mind that the only veggie I've eaten and can't tolerate is green pepper.

I can't eat bell peppers either so that makes a lot of recipes off limits sadly. I think my biggest challenge with vegetables is my lack of knife skills (I believe this has been discussed before in fact) so I will shy away from things that I think will suffer because of that. I did sit down and make a decent meal plan today. Need to do my shopping after church tonight. Hopefully enough variety to keep me interested and on task. I like the weekly cookup idea but it rarely works for me. I find coming up with two meal plans I can rotate for the most part generally keeps most of my cooking to 2 days in a week. Keep on keeping on. ;) The other thing that keeps me from a great deal of recipes is my fear of handling hot peppers. Like I was considering making the pineapple salsa from NomNomPaleo to put on crispy smashed chicken this week but didn't want to deal with the jalapenos. I'm going to have them with cumin roasted carrots instead so it is all good. ;) 

Day 13 Recap:

Meal 1 (8am): 4 fried eggs and a big scoop of kraut, black coffee

Exercise (10:15am): ~45 min of strength training - went through all the exercises I did with my trainer on Wednesday

Post WO (11:45am): 1 cup of egg whites scrambled with half a can of pureed sweet potato and cinnamon

Meal 2 (2pm): 4 indian spiced turkey sliders (practical paleo), mayo, small sweet potato spiralized and sauteed in coconut oil

Snack (3:45pm): (sigh) macadamia nuts and raisins (this was really brought on by a few of getting hungry again before I got home from church and shopping)

Meal 3 (7:45pm): 2 grassfed hot dogs, mayo, mustard, baby carrots, bubbies pickles, handful of raisins

Had planned to have something much more substantial for meal 3 last night but by the time I got home I was hungry enough that I didn't want to wait another hour for dinner. The raisins and nuts thing is so very out of character for me. Not really sure what is triggering the decision. Goal is to keep out of them for the remainder of my Whole30. No excuses. I'm strong enough to make the choice to walk away from these things.

Got decent sleep last night. Maybe even 8 hours, I didn't really pay attention to what time I went to bed. Only woke up when husband came to bed and I think that was briefly.

No gym today but should try and do some cleaning and prep work for my classes this week and the show I'm stage managing on Friday. Yesterday ended up being not so productive. 

Archived