Today is Day 1

nickirk

Kicked off the Whole30 today with my family. Even did the Well Fed cook up yesterday and spent almost 3 hours in the kitchen preparing the weeks meals.

Question for the more experienced folk. Any time saving tips on the Weekly cook up? I was exhausted by the end of mine yesterday and I would appreciate any time savers as I don't like to be a slave to the kitchen on my weekends ha ha.

Thank you!

Unfotunately because you have to prepare everthing from scratch there isn't any getting around the food prep. Your crock pot or pressure cooker can be your best friend. During the week I eat a lot of ground meat stir frys. The only veggie that I cut up are carrots and store them in a plastic container. I use some frozen veggies like broccoli. I also make a huge salad without tomatoes that lasts a few days. I add tomatoes as needed. Enjoy!

Thank you for the tips!

Could have also been because the boyfriend decided he wanted to "learn to cook" during the Sunday cooking marathon. Not sure if he helped or hindered the process :P

Guess we shall see next weekend!

Yes, the cook up can be exhausting. Would it be possible to do a little "extra" during weeknights that might help? For example, if you're baking sweet potatoes, throw in one or two extra? Or brown a lot of ground beef and use some that night and save the rest? (That's what I did last night)  That might help you, especially with prepping lunches for the next day. Kind of like cooking your weeknight meals for one or two "extra" people.

I usually try to cook extra even before I started the Whole30 so that I could bring leftovers for lunch the following day. BUT, I have to say, regardless of how exhausting Sunday's cook up was I am LOVING having such a short dinner prep time every night. Its amazing having dinner on the table start to finish in 15 minutes :-)

Also, it has made this whole plan easier on me just knowing I can go in the fridge and throw a meal together without having to check if everything I am using is compliant.

So, we shall see if this next weekend's cook up is as daunting knowing how helpful it truly is...

Here's to day 3!

Archived