Nutritional Label vs. Ingredients list SUGAR

Rachel_7546

I am on day 21 of my Whole30, but I am really not counting. From day 1 I planned on this being a change in my lifestyle, not just a 30 day trial. Because of this mentality, I have told myself to stay calm and do the best you can. 

I only had a couple of slip ups, that came with drastic consequences (I'll post about my mood swings separately), but mostly I am feeling great and I have lost almost all my joint pain so there is no stopping me now.  :D

There is something that has been bothering me. I have given up my kryptonite of cheese in all formats, and the least healthiest thing I eat right now is nuts. I know nuts are allowed in limited quantities, and I follow that rule. It's the labels on nuts that bug me. Has anyone found nuts that don't have sugar in the nutritional label? There is no sugar in the ingredient list so does that mean there is no added sugar? Do almonds naturally contain sugar? (pic of almond bag below) 

Information below found on Harvard Nutrition website: 

By law, The Nutrition Facts Label must list the grams of sugar in each product. But some foods naturally contain sugar, while others get theirs from added sweeteners, and food labeling laws don't require companies to differentiate how much sugar is added sugar. That's why you'll need to scan the ingredients list of a food or drink to find the added sugar.

post-45194-0-39997700-1399921155_thumb.j

My understanding is that under the category of Carbohydrate they differentiate between fiber and sugar, but that having grams of sugar on the label does not necessarily mean there is added sugar in the product.  Since the label says almonds and salt, I would say you are safe on that front.  

Congrats on your success thus far :)

• 1 year later...

Exactly what I'm struggling to understand on day 11. If a pecan shows 3 sugars under the "nutrients" label does that make it NON-compilent even thought its natural sugar?  like, I mean so coconut cream reads to have sugar but still see others consuming it? i haven't had either but want the correct answers. Thanks!!!

• Moderators

Exactly what I'm struggling to understand on day 11. If a pecan shows 3 sugars under the "nutrients" label does that make it NON-compilent even thought its natural sugar?  like, I mean so coconut cream reads to have sugar but still see others consuming it? i haven't had either but want the correct answers. Thanks!!!

You have to read the ingredients list, not the nutrition facts. If there's sugar or sweetener of any kind in the ingredients list, that food isn't compliant for Whole30.

If there's no sugar in the ingredients list, but the nutrition facts lists grams of sugar, those grams of sugar come from naturally occurring sugars in the food, and those are okay.

Look at the ingredients list - if there is sugar in any form it's out.

Sugar will appear on the nutritional label for many foods because many foods have naturally occurring sugars.

Look at the ingredient list only.

Archived