these coconut milk additives?

Derval

YIKES! Never seen that much in just a can of coconut milk. Honestly don't know. Use within 2 days and remove from can once opened and put in another container? :blink:

I got very lucky and happened upon a new brand at Wal Mart. $1.48/can and the only ingredients were coconut milk and water. Not even the usual guar gum! I'll be going back for more of that!

• Moderators

Uhhh. I'd probably pay for the more extensive stuff. Poking around on Wikipedia was not reassuring and I found this on eHow....

According to the "Journal of National Cancer Institute," the "Journal of Nutrition" and the FAO Nutrition Meetings Report Series, polysorbate 60 can cause detrimental reproductive effects, organ toxicity and cancer in high doses. However, the FDA designated the chemical as safe for limited use in food. According to the Environmental Canada Domestic Substance List, polysorbate 60 is not suspected as an environmental toxin.

Thanks for the researching Tom, I will stick to the nice organic stuff for sure. That is scary stuff.

Hello,

Polysorbate anything is icky. Sodium Metabisulphite is also no-no.

I am really enjoying your many posts :)

Glad you posted this...I just bought my first tin of coconit milk (havent a clue what to do with it yet) but on the ingredients was guar gum and I hadnt a clue what it was or if it was ok....you answered MY question in your first post :D Thanks....

YIKES! Never seen that much in just a can of coconut milk. Honestly don't know. Use within 2 days and remove from can once opened and put in another container? :blink:

The can I bought also says to remove it from the can (which I think is standard practise for all canned food if your storing it in the fridge) and to consume within 2 days...is using it within 2 days bad? As in should it last longer....or not last :D

I have had coconut milk in my fridge for weeks and it's been fine. I don't like to eat it every single day, but every once in a while I like it over my berries. I do remove it from the can and put it in a plastic container; when I do that, it usually hardens nicely into a little whipped cream like substance.

Archived