getting more veggies into your breakfast

Katoo

I made a discovery that has really helped me add more veggies into my breakfast.  Take a look down the Mexican aisle as the grocery store for compliant chunky salsas.  Read the labels carefully a lot have added sugar - but a lot do not.  Oddly enough in two different grocery stores, I have found the store brand to be not only compliant, but cheaper.  The one I'm using now has onions, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and salt and that's it.

I do 2 scrambled eggs with a half cup spinach, topped with a half cup or more of salsa and 1/2 an avocado cut into chunks.

Easy, quick, delicious, and hits the spot.

I make a 'bag salad'.  I take a quart sized ziplock bag and put lettuce and any other veggies I feel like.  When I get to work, I dump some olive oil and a little balsamic in it.  Then I zip it up and shake.  I eat it right out of the bag with a fork.  It's a good way to have a 'tossed salad' on the go.

• Moderators

Interesting info on the store brand salsa. Who'd have guessed?

I use spinach a lot for breakfast because it cooks so quickly. Usually onion, often shredded rutabaga or red cabbage, occasionally red peppers, sliced very thinly, mushrooms, frozen broccoli. So many veggies go well with eggs!

For the work week I sautee greens (spinach, power greens, leeks, fennel, etc) and mix them into my scrambled eggs.  And I make a hash of starchy vegetable (rutabaga, sweet potato, etc) , onions and homemade sausage or sometimes bacon.  That generally gets me to my one cup.  If I need more I make a cucumber/tomato salad. 

• 5 months later...

Archived