Looking for others who have taken "longer" to feel the magic!

Hi!  I'm on Day 22 of my first Whole 30 and am beginning to realize that it's going to take me longer than 30 days to "feel the magic". ;)  

I'll admit that my sugar cravings have greatly diminished (yay!) and I think I've lost some inches (haven't weighed myself), but my biggest reason for starting the Whole30 was to FEEL better and I'm not sure I'm seeing much of a difference yet.  I'm extremely careful about reading ingredients to make sure everything is 100% compliant and I'm following the meal template the best I can ... but I'm still dealing with digestive issues, lack of energy & a general blah feeling.

I keep reading that it can take "more than 30 days" to completely heal my gut and feel better, and I'm okay with extending my strict Whole30 compliance for as long as it takes to do that.  I guess I'm just looking for reassurance from others who have taken longer to "feel the magic" to convince myself that it WILL happen if I just stick with it. :)

Any thoughts, tips or "success stories" would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

• Moderators

I'm on day 74 and I did 47 days last year. I don't think the magic is always what people expect it to be, and even when it is it's not sustainable. I've had days of high energy and amazingly buoyant mood and I've had cruddy days. It's life, man, but healthier.

I'm on day 37, and feel like I'm now seeing some benefit. I had to modify after the first 30 days (limiting nuts, fruit, dried fruit) and am focusing more on higher protein breakfasts, and it seems to be making a difference.

I also did the first 30 days with my hubby and 3 kids (age 2, 4, 6) and that stressed me more than I realized. Now that their restrictions are a bit relaxed, I'm finding the whole thing a lot easier.

Thanks LadyM and Haren13!  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I totally agree that this is a healthier way to eat and I plan to continue on after my first 30 days (although I may be a bit more lenient if I go out to eat, etc).  I wasn't really expecting "magic", but I guess I was just hoping to have some relief from my digestive issues and feel more steady energy by now.  I've started adding a few more starchy carbs to see if that helps, and for now will just keep plugging along.  It IS a Whole30 and not a Whole 22, right?  There's still hope that I'll feel much better by Day 30 ... or 31 ... or 32 ... :)

I just finished my 2nd W30- and both times I really started feeling better at around day 29-30+. Some people just need more time- I am about a week or two off the regular timeline, so if I were in a position to continue and do a W60 or more, I would! 

You are doing something great for your body and your health, and for some of us the results aren't immediate- we don't jump out of bed one day with Tiger Blood. For some of us, little by little it adds up and one day you look back and realize that it does work, and you feel absolutely amazing. Keep going, stay positive, and trust that it will happen... eventually. :)

You have gotten great advice so far so I have little to add. Upping your starchy vegetables is the correct thing to do if you are still feeling really low energy. Also check in with your fat portions and make sure those are enough. Linking a couple of other articles that might be encouraging to you. Everyone's experience is different. Mine tends to be very similar to the timeline but I'm of generally good health and came to W30 from 1 year of focusing on non processed foods and low sugar + 3 months of less strict paleo eating. Everyone's context and journey is different and you still have 8 whole days left. When you get to Day 30 make an honest evaluation. Do you think you could get more from another week or so? If you do than schedule what seems sustainable and check in again at the end of that. Once you feel like you are ready to try reintroductions than you are ready. Our own moderator Tom just kept eating W30 for a long time before trying anything else because he liked how he was feeling so much. Everyone's journey is different.

http://whole30.com/2014/04/tiger-blood/

http://whole9life.com/2013/02/multiple-whole30s/

The entire article this quote is from doesn't apply to your question but this paragraph does.

Thirty Days Wasn't Long Enough

While radical health improvements can take place in just 30 days during the program, when you put it into context, decades of less than healthy behavior often can't compete with 30 days of Whole30. Fat adaptation (teaching your body to use fat as fuel) takes time.* Stubborn medical issues, like psoriasis, migraines, chronic pain conditions, or diabetes, can't be fully resolved with just a month of healthy eating. And an unhealthy psychological relationship with food—and the cravings, habits, and emotional ties that go along—are often the toughest battle to win.

*This is especially true if you're coming from a S.A.D. (Standard American Diet). It can take several weeks before you learn to trust the “hungry†and “full†signals your body is sending you—and you may not have been eating enough in the beginning, because you were afraid of all that fat.

Many Whole30'ers report that they didn't feel or see “the magic†until day 45, 60, or beyond. Whether you choose to extend your Paleo elimination program or not is entirely up to you, but think about your results in terms of the context of your life, your health history, and your habits—and realize that maybe, you'll need longer than just 30 days to see the ultimate results you were hoping for. But then again, you also have to make sure you're measuring the right thing. Quite possibly…

Archived