Sasberry's Whole 30 Log

sasberry

My boyfriend and I tried our first Whole 30 in mid-March. It wasn't too difficult for us to adjust (although giving up beer was really hard), since we have been mostly Paleo for awhile. The hardest thing for us was getting used to the structure, which after a few days we ended up loving. We made it about three weeks, then fell off the wagon. We both followed the template as prescribed, were loving the food, had beat our sugar demons, and were noticing some very positive physical changes (minus being completely void of energy), but for some reason we gave up.  We just got home from a cruise full of horrible food and a lot of alcohol, and we decided to give it another try, since we both feel really disgusting right now. We made a deal to log EVERYTHING - meals, how we feel, exercise, energy levels, etc., and we think doing this and having a tangible record of what we experience is really going to help keep us on track.

Before our last Whole 30 attempt, I was pretty nervous about the changes. After about 5 days I got into the groove of food prep, cooking, and doing things like making my own condiments. I am a huge fan of the Well Fed cookbooks, which I relied on heavily during my last Whole 30. I'm glad I learned so much during my first attempt, and I've already noticed through my prep that I'm coming into it with more knowledge. I prepped all of my veggies yesterday, which saved me a ton of time this morning when I was making breakfast. I also knew to build a weekly menu and shopping list, and to shop for a week at a time. Knowing what to expect is a plus, especially since I just started training for a marathon. I'm wondering how I'm going to have to tweak my food intake to accommodate my training, and how the energy deficiency is going to effect my running.

This morning, I made omelets with onions, garlic, sweet peppers, jalapeños, and shiitake mushrooms, cooked in olive oil. We also had a half cup of strawberries each, and coffee (his was black, mine had coconut cream).  I added the minimum prescribed amount of fat, but I think I should have added more. 

For lunch we both had tuna salad with whole 30 compliant olive oil mayo, romaine, pickles, celery, and tomato, and two handfuls of nuts (cashews and macadamias).  My BF also had a banana. 

For dinner we had shepherd's pie (from Well Fed): ground turkey, mashed cauliflower, carrots, and onions.  We were both hungry around 8, so I had a banana, he had an apple, and we shared mixed nuts and olives.

Lesson learned: eat more during the day.  :)

Day 2:

Breakfast: sweet potato home fries with ground turkey

Lunch: leftover shepherd's pie and salad (and nuts and an apple for the BF)

Post-Workout: Banana and almond butter

Dinner: turkey burgers and cauliflower potato salad

The biggest thing I noticed today was a serious lack of energy during my training run. I ran five miles, about two hours after eating lunch. Not sure if I was just sore from my run on Monday or if I'm not eating enough. 

We're both feeling pretty tired, but we know that's par for the course during the first two weeks.

For post-workout, try following the meal template recommendation of protein and optional vegetable carb.  No fruit and no fat (nuts are a fat source on a Whole30).

Regarding your snacks on day 1, if you're hungry between meals, have a mini meal that includes a protein and fat.  Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to have with or immediately after your main meals only.

Day 3:

Breakfast: we split the last of the sweet potato/ground turkey home fries, and the BF had a hard boiled egg. 

Lunch: For him: turkey burger, ground turkey and cauliflower mash shepherd's pie. Lunch for me: tuna salad with romaine, tomato, pickles, and no-potato salad

Dinner: Stir fry with chicken, bok choy, mixed veggies, and coconut aminos

Day 4:

We ran out of eggs yesterday and I forgot to buy more. I had no idea what to do for breakfast this morning, since I hadn't really anticipated this EVER happening. When you buy two dozen eggs at a time it seems kind of ridiculous to think about not having any. Whole 30 problems. :)

Day 4:

We ran out of eggs yesterday and I forgot to buy more. I had no idea what to do for breakfast this morning, since I hadn't really anticipated this EVER happening. When you buy two dozen eggs at a time it seems kind of ridiculous to think about not having any. Whole 30 problems. :)

Leftovers? One thing that helps is to stop thinking of it as breakfast and start thinking of it as meal 1. Personally I prefer to have eggs in the morning. I am generally only cooking for myself and I buy at least 3 dozen eggs a week for what its worth.

Archived