getting back to whole

This is my third whole 30.  I have been spacing them about six months or so... what I am finding is there is NO WAY to go back to "regular" eating without gaining weight and feeling yuck.  It amazes me how quickly I can revert to eating the same old junk (read:  processed, wheat, fast food) even though it takes a couple days of feeling bad and then I'm off the wagon again.

Too bad it had to take this long, but awareness is progress I think!  And so launches my Whole Summer!

I will check in here to log what I'm eating, how I"m moving and any other stuff that comes up.  I did this before and it really helped. 

Yesterday:

coffee

2 egg muffins (eggs, red pepper, broccoli, bacon) and blueberries

kale salad (sesame oil and vinegar) and teriyaki flank steak, strawberries

1 1/2 big beef hotdogs, snap peas and red pepper fried in bacon grease

sparkling water

Movement:  Besides my very active job teaching Kindergarten, I live on a ranch.  So yesterday I unloaded stacked five bales of hay and three big bags of shavings for my horse.

I am going for a NO SNACK routine this time around.  Also limiting nuts, sweet potatos and coconut butter, my go to's for cravings... I can only have these on days that I formally exercise.  0 - 2 fruits per day

Here we go!

• Moderators

I am beginning to describe the Whole30 as a trial run of eating well during which you experience the blessings of this way of life. To the extent that you adopt this approach to eating on an ongoing basis, you keep the blessings. To the extent that you revert, you forfeit the blessings. 

Well said, Tom! 

Sadly, I find just moderating to be impossible.  It helps if I concentrate on how fantastic I feel when I stick to the program.

Yesterday I ate...

coffee, egg muffins, strawberries / blueberries (a small handful)

teriyaki steak and kale salad, 1/4 a pear, Pelligrino

Big bottle of Tejava tea

a big can of cold coconut water... it was HOT!

ground grass fed beef sauteed with organic broccoli slaw and a can of spicy El Pato, avocado

Craved something sweet and carby big time this afternoon when I misplaced my work iPad... resisted

Avoided indulging in coconut butter after dinner.

Rode my horse for 1 1/2 hours... had an intense lesson and felt focused and energetic!

Food for Wednesday:

**egg muffins and cucumber, coffee

**taco salad: lettuce, salsa, Mexican spiced ground turkey, grapes and strawberries

**chicken

**sparkling water

There were treats at school today... I resisted chocolate chip cookie bars and the cheese and sour cream for my taco salad.

Later there was a school party... There was fruit but I passed since I had already had some.... resisted all kinds of good looking stuff and stuck to my sparkling water - LOTS. We went to a taqueria on the way home from the barn... they wouldn't put just meat in a bowl for me (!) so I ate the insides of three chicken tacos and give the tortillas to my daughter. Meh.

Rode my horse for an hour.

Food for Thursday:

**last 2 egg muffins, cucumber

**leftover beef with broccoli slaw, red pepper and snap peas, hazelnuts

**big can of coconut water

**big beef dog, steamed broccoli, homemade mayonnaise

**Pelligrino, Tejava ice tea

Rode my horse for an hour.

It's been super hot this week and I have been drinking a ton of water. I reuse a Venti Starbucks iced drink cup with the green straw and I put in tons of ice. This way I can drink 3 or 4 of those. My stomach is already flatter this week. Yay! I was pretty tired this morning (Friday) but have had steady energy through the day.

Food today:

2 hard boiled eggs ("pastured" - we have ten chickens) and cucumber, coffee

Last of the teriyaki steak, leftover broccoli and snap peas with red pepper, hazelnuts, Pelligrino, an apple

Tejava tea

more hazelnuts, a beef dog with mustard, a big green salad with lots of veggies

After work I ran errands and had plans to take a quick jog before Cowboy Church. Then I got tipped off to a fire in our area and so spent the time stressing out and researching the location of the fire (luckily not close) before I could do chores and change for church. I ate the second portion of hazelnuts as a comfort snack.

Then ate the hotdog because I was afraid there would be nothing to eat at the potluck after church. Sure enough the only compliant item was salad. So I had a big plateful. The dressing probably had questionable oil but the amount was negligible so I am not counting it as a fail. I eyed some gluten free rolls but resisted. There were a TON of desserts but I stayed far away and just kept drinking water and more water.

No formal exercise today.

I did a sizeable cookup today, starting with banana bread for my husband and daughter. Resisted licking any fingers.

Roasted an organic chicken, fried some homemade beef sausage patties, steamed acorn squash, cut up watermelon and veggies for tomorrow's horse show. Made tuna salad with chopped cucumber, cherry tomatos, hb eggs and homemade mayo. Mixed up a bag of broccoli slaw with grated apple and balsamic vinagraite.

I ate:

beef sausage patty and steamed broccoli with lemon, coffee

tuna salad and an apple, Tejava tea

roast chicken and broccoli slaw, coffee

I jogged two hilly miles today. Ran out of gas a little since I started out late in the morning and didn't eat before. But overall I feel terrific. So glad to be doing this again.

On day 9 I ate...

Sausage patty and blueberries, coffee

Cold roast chicken, raw veggies (red pepper, carrots, cucumber, cherry tomatos)

Three sunny side up eggs, broccoli slaw

No formal exercise today. I would like to start some regular yoga practice, I feel stiff and a little bit old and creaky, especially when I get up from sitting too long.... otherwise my energy has been much more steady and I am sleeping great. Ready for the school year to end (I teach Kindergarten)

On Day 10 I ate:

last sausage patty and blueberries, coffee

Tuna salad, broccoli slaw, strawberries, hazelnuts

Big beef dog and mustard, steamed broccoli and mayo

Pelligrino

Rode my horse for two hours, including lesson.... a vigorous afternoon! I'm so proud of my not snacking so far!

Yesterday I ate

big beef dog, blueberries, coffee

leftover steamed salmon, broccoli and acorn squash with mayo, watermelon

corned beef, couple of chicken wings, zucchini and red pepper (hot case food from the corner store), kombucha

Last night was Open House.  For whatever reason I awoke this morning with a headache.  The hot case food was really salty?

There was chocolate birthday cake at work today.... resisted.  Also turned down lunchroom pizza.  All that bread just looked gross to me!

Tonight I have a retirement party.  Should be interesting.  It's potluck and I am taking store cookies.  Hope there's something I can eat.  If not oh well... I almost enjoy feeling empty.  Looking forward to a nice long relaxing weekend!

Rode my horse on Thursday but no formal exercise yesterday or today.  Can't wait for school to end (2 more weeks!) so I can do morning workouts again.

Been having food dreams... I ate something noncompliant and was deeply saddened and disappointed.  Cereal (it was like pralines, or chocolate clusters), and canned peaches on a graham cracker crust.  Alcohol.  Each time I debated (in my dream) whether I would admit it or not on this log.... lol!!

"It amazes me how quickly I can revert to eating the same old junk (read:  processed, wheat, fast food) even though it takes a couple days of feeling bad and then I'm off the wagon again."

Do you respond the same way to all non-Paleo food or just the above? There's a middle ground between Paleo and the very bad foods such as wheat/fast food/candy. I'm thinking if you add on some middle way food that does not make you feel awful, it will sustain your Paleo efforts rather than be completely Paleo and then indulge your cravings. Although I understand reintroduction is tricky and takes some effort.  

Yesterday I ate

Three sausages, some pineapple and grapes

Red pepper rolled up in pastrami with mustard, cherry tomatos, cucumber, strawberries

Spinach salad with pecans, a few grapes

A little heavy on the fruit today. There was nothing to eat at the party but the salad. I didn't get all bent about the dressing but it probably had a sweetener of some sort. This was a potluck and it was completely void of protein unless you count cheese. Lots of dips, crackers, desserts. I drank sparkling water and left early. After church I had a handful of hazelnuts.

No formal exercise today.

Hi there-

Just seeing your log now.  You've navigated some tricky situations there and are pretty active - well done!

A couple of questions/points (all coming from a place to help you get the best results from your Whole30):
- do you have a copy of the meal template?  Folks tend to get the best results when they follow the template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and an appropriate compliant fat at every meal. Last few breakfasts have been missing veggies: don't let fruit push veggies off your plate

- is the pastrami compliant? (No gluten, soy, carrageenan, sugar/sweeteners or other non-compliant ingredients?)  Same question for the bacon, 'big beef dog,' sausage and corned beef.  Getting compliant processed meats can be tricky, and I'm especially concerned about foods from "hot case food from a corner store." I know the chicken from my local grocery store in their hot case contains soy and carrageenan, as an example.

- coconut water: avoid using that as a routine beverage, per the Can I Have Guide 

"Coconut Water: Read your labels

Most coconut waters are technically compliant, containing only natural sugars from the coconut. However, some brands add sugar to their ingredients, so read your labels. Anything with added sugar is out for your Whole30. Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light†fruit juice. If you're involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don't let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine."- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.90K9OCtK.dpuf

Thank you Chris! All very good points. There really is no way of knowing if some of that protein is noncompliant. Maybe yesterday's food will sound better?

Garden kale and three homegrown eggs cooked in ghee, coffee

Coconut water (no sugar)

Tri tip with lettuce, tomatos and onions, 10 or so prunes, mixed green salad and cantaloupe, Perrier

Just two meals today. Rode two horses, three hours total. It was hot and dusty! Therefore the water.

I am always careful to read labels.... when there are any. In prior Whole 30's I carried nuts for "emergencies" but don't want to go down that road this time around. I will work harder to figure out how to carry meals along so I'm not forced to compromise.

Thank you Chris! All very good points. There really is no way of knowing if some of that protein is noncompliant. Maybe yesterday's food will sound better?

Garden kale and three homegrown eggs cooked in ghee, coffee

Coconut water (no sugar)

Tri tip with lettuce, tomatos and onions, 10 or so prunes, mixed green salad and cantaloupe, Perrier

Better ... although watch the prunes ... the serving size on those is about 3.  :)

My recipe for teriyaki marinade:

Equal parts coconut aminos and pineapple juice

Crushed garlic and grated fresh ginger to taste

This is equally tasty on chicken, beef, and fish!

Today I ate:

Tuna salad: can tuna, two chopped hb eggs, chopped celery, cherry tomatos and avocado dressed with balsamic vinegar

Coffee, water, Kombucha

Grilled chicken, one grilled beef rib, zucchini and red pepper sautee, salsa and guacamole on top of everything

Strawberries, pineapple, honeydew melon

Ran two hilly miles today, felt awesome! Then took a refreshing nap. Attended a party and resisted Caesar salad with croutons, rolls (looked gross), tortellini (not a big pasta fan anyway) and fruit shortcake with whip cream (just ate a little of the fruit). Ate a lot of dinner but still hungry on the way home... had a pack of fruit and nut mix from Starbucks and a handful of hazelnuts when I got home. Evidently exercise makes me more hungry, and I need to eat three meals on days I work out.

Today I ate:

tuna salad with hb eggs, celery, avocado, red pepper and balsamic, coffee

last of the dry roasted hazelnuts

Perrier, Tejava

beef hotdog with mustard, grass fed beef patty with tomato

a little cantaloupe, couple strawberries

Took a nice long walk on the beach today, the sand really worked my calves! Enjoyed a BBQ with the Inlaws while avoiding chips, crackers, cheese, cookies, ice cream sandwiches, microwave popcorn and Sees candy. I deserve a medal! lol Just watched everyone else indulge and honestly didn't want any of it, especially the processed white hamburger and hot dog buns that looked totally fake and gross to me.

Made a pot of chicken soup this morning for the week with the bones from last weeks roast, celery, onion, carrots, garlic and a handful of chopped kale. Checked my pastrami and found it was compliant so I'm set for lunches though I'll probably need to shop for vegetables before the week is up. Only seven and a half days of school left! Hope I don't get a bunch of wine and candy for teachers gifts like I did last year.

Halfway done. I feel leaner and my pants fit better. My energy is steady and I'm sleeping great. Moods have stabilized pretty well.

Today I ate:

chicken veggy soup and two hb eggs

grass fed burger patty, red pepper, cucumber, avocado, apple, almonds

Venti unsweetened passion iced tea from Starbucks

roast chicken leg/thigh, huge pile of veggies (zucchini cauliflower yellow squash and broccoli), Kombucha, few spoonfuls of coconut butter

Very hungry / munchy today. Maybe due to a stressful meeting though my nerves stayed calm and I felt generally relaxed. No formal exercise.

My recipe for teriyaki marinade:

Equal parts coconut aminos and pineapple juice

Crushed garlic and grated fresh ginger to taste

This is equally tasty on chicken, beef, and fish!

Gonna try this! Thanks!

Yesterday I ate

2 hb eggs, almonds, coffee

roast chicken breast, cucumber, red pepper, avocado, blueberries (I felt terrific after this meal!)

Venti unsweetened Passion iced tea

ground turkey cooked in coconut oil with cinnamon and garlic salt, broccoli slaw and grated apple; few spoonfuls of coconut butter

Rode my horse 1 1/2 hours.

Brought my chicken soup for breakfast but didn't have time to eat it and it didn't really appeal. Made up for the veggies at lunch! Resisted treats at school: pastries, brownies, Chobani yogurt, granola bars, hash brown casserole. Any other time I would have eaten them all. Felt really awesome after lunch... Satisfied, energetic and alert. Resisted coconut water after my ride and drank plain water instead :). Pretty tired this morning as I have been staying up later...shifting to summer...but after I got rolling felt good. Really looking forward to long empty mornings for running and yoga! My body wants to stretch. Five more days of school.

Today I ate

natural beef hot dog, cucumber, coffee

ground turkey and broccoli slaw hash, red peppers, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, cantaloupe, almonds

steamed broccoli and mayo, steamed shrimp, cantaloupe, a little coconut butter

Took a little nap after school today. No formal exercise.

Yesterday I ate:

hb egg, cucumbers, red pepper, almonds, cantaloupe, coffee

Rest of the ground turkey / broccoli slaw hash, blueberries, cherry tomatoes

Venti unsweetened iced Passion tea

Three grilled chicken thighs, a burger patty with mustard, cucumbers, snap peas, mushrooms, radishes

The barista at Starbucks made a mistake and offered me a free Venti green tea lemonade...I wanted it but passed due to the sugar in the lemonade. Resisted various salads at the church BBQ (macaroni, potato) and BBQ potato chips, my favorite. Rode my horse 11/2 hours. Stayed out of the coconut butter jar. Feeling good, able to stay up later than usual and enjoy some family time. Also very happy with my digestion.... eliminations are clockwork, comfortable and complete.

Yesterday I ate

pastrami dipped in mayo, cucumber and red pepper, coffee

banana and dry roasted almonds (felt like too many)

really delicious chili (made up recipe - grass fed beef cooked in bacon fat with chili powder garlic and cumin, diced organic tomatoes, black olives) over fresh chopped raw garden kale - YUM - cucumbers, cantaloupe

couple handfuls pistachios, sparkling water

Had a friend over and we took a really great five and a half mile hike! A beautiful day in the forest.

Food for yesterday:

two hb eggs smeared with mayo, cherry tomatos with salt, red pepper

a little chicken, celery dipped in mayo

grilled burger patty, two hotdogs, chicken thigh; pineapple and watermelon

Attended a sweet 16 party last evening. There were cupcakes and French bread with sour cream/spinach dip, but no vegetables. There were two kinds of lemonade and tons of soda (and beer) but no water! That was weird. The meat was almost certainly noncompliant. However Im going to attempt this eating until my birthday August 17.

Food for today:

chicken soup, coffee

Leftover chili on fresh chopped kale, red pepper, two apricots, some cantaloupe and strawberries

Kombucha

teriyaki chicken shredded over chopped lettuce and raw veg salad dressed with balsamic and olive oil, few spoonfuls of coconut butter

Husband overbought fruit for his party, and I hate waste, so we are enjoying it. No formal exercise today or Sunday.

Today I ate

2 hb eggs, raw veggies dipped in mayo (broccoli, celery, red pepper), coffee

Chopped salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, romaine, carrots and creamy vinagraite (mixed a spoonful of mayo into balsamic and olive oil); teriyaki chicken; mango and blueberries

Couple handfuls of trail mix (tried to avoid the dried fruit) had macadamias, cashews and almonds; medium black iced tea

Two awesome egg muffins, citrus Kombucha

Made the muffins tonight like this:

Spray muffin tins with coconut oil. Line each cup with half a slice of ham. Nestle in some kale and sprinkle with salt. Crack an egg into each kale cup and topped with chopped green onion. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

So now I have some awesome breakfasts lined up.

Archived