day 42, increased muscle pain: time to cut nightshades?

Hi

When my first whole30 ended on April 30, I decided to keep going. I had lost a few lbs, slept better, and felt less puffy. But my joint and muscle pain hadn't decreased. I have been primal and gluten free for 12 yrs. today I realized 2 things:

A. I have more muscle and joint pain than on March 30 ( I am an active skier, cyclist, and kayaker, but the muscle and joint issues have been getting in the way for the past 2 weeks.

B. I radically increased my nightshade consumption these past 6 weeks on whole30, since I've been eating lots of tomatoes and red peppers and chili pepper and eggplant ( I hadn't been eating potatoes before whole30, so starting whole30 didn't decrease that source)

So as of today I will drop my beloved tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant to see if that helps.

Any ideas about how long to avoid them before deciding if they are part of the pain?

Thanks

• Moderators

I have been eating Whole30-style for almost 4 years. I get a massage every week and it is always a painful experience. Despite work from talented therapists and a great diet, I am always sore with lots of knots. I figure this is what it means to be 56 years old and training vigorously with kettlebells trying to become stronger now than I ever was as a younger man. 

Having said that, keeping nightshades out of your diet should make a difference if it is going to make a difference within a few weeks.

Thanks Tom. Always sore with lots of knots? I'm just a few years younger and trying to figure out what is inevitable aging and what can be tweaked with diet and better warming up.

I have heard that making sure to eat enough healthy starches like tubers is important for pain management, especially if you're really active. You could try adding in more sweet potatoes & a banana as a fruit. I know people gasp at bananas, but one a day, and then one other fruit, can actually help if you're a very active person.

Archived