Can I use dates to sweeten vinaigrettes/use pork rinds as bread crumbs?

abbyn

I bought dates to sweeten vinaigrettes- for example- I soaked 1 date in hot water to replace the sugar in a recipe that made 5-6 servings of carrot raisin salad. I'd also like to make a balsamic vinaigrette that tastes balanced, not sweet, and maybe even add some dates to a large batch of barbecue sauce I'd like to make. 

I'm sorry if this answer is somewhere else, I haven't been able to find it.

Also, I made this recipe from stupideasypaleo: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/03/30/crispy-buffalo-chicken-fingers/

and loved the idea of using pork rinds as a breadcrumb, so tonight I made salmon cakes that had a light breading of crushed pork rinds.

I think/hope these ideas are ok and not too swypo-y...

thanks for any input!

• Moderators

Dates are definitely okay -- they're addressed specifically in the Official "Can I Have" list here:

Pork rinds are also okay -- see this post:

*editing to put in the links that somehow disappeared after I posted this: The Can I Have list  and the post about pork rinds. Any idea why my links sometimes just vanish? It happens when I just cut and paste them into the posts instead of making a fancy link like I did in this edit.

Shannon is right, both of these are ok. That said, use caution with the pork rinds. Pork Cracklings you make yourself from pastured pork, awesome! Pork rinds purchased in a packet from a grocery store or convenience store? Maybe technically compliant (assuming no off-plan ingredients) but really not a good source of fat considering they are most certainly from industrial-raised, conventionally fed pork.

Archived