Brand new - starting May 15th

drhobbs

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also starting tomorrow! This will be my third Whole30 — first was June 2013, second January 2014. We try to eat paleo in between, and mostly do at home, but the more we go out, the more we're riding our own bikes... right off the road, sigh.

My goals for this Whole30 are to (1) finish, (2) do a couple of reintros I've been wondering about (white rice, soy, and specific types of dairy), and (3) afterward get into a workable everyday rhythm of Making Better Choices, i.e., riding my bike safely on the bike path.

Good luck to you and anyone else starting tomorrow!

I'm starting tomorrow too. My concerns out the gate are... I'm traveling for work my first two days, my husband and housemate are not doing this, and I haven't done much planning

Upside- almost all the ladies at my office (when not traveling ) are going to do it as well starting on Monday and I am starting tomorrow because I will finish day 30 and the next day will be my anniversary

My goals are 1. To breakup with food ! I feel like food is too much of a focus , a crutch, an escape, I want to put it back in its proper place of being primarily a fuel for my body 2. I wouldn't mind shedding a few (or 40!) pounds and/or inches 3. I've been wrestling with infertility for a few years and I understand a radical healthy change in duet can sometimes help that process and if I do get pregnant I want to have a healthier diet 4. A friend told me her moods stabilized when doing this , I sure could use some of that !

I started today as well!

For once in my life, after I went shopping yesterday I actually prepped everything

for the next few days.

I always say I am going to and then find myself with a bunch of food going bad in the fridge 

because I took the fast way out for dinners etc.

I truly believe had I not prepped my lunch and dinner for today I would have come to work and had a protein

shake and gone out to eat and "started tomorrow".

Instead I will have home made chicken and veggie soup for lunch and I had eggs for breaky!

We got this!!!!!

Hi,

I started today as well.  I wasn't as organized as I wanted to be, except that I did prep my breakfast & lunch for today last night.  I did some grocery shopping ($$$$), but believe I may need more veggies as the days progress.

I read the book, and have been glancing at the first Well Fed book.  Really like what I see in there.

I also have bookmarked the Whole30 timeline, so I can validate (if needed) any struggling.

I've been trying to eat GF for the past few months, so this is a huge step further.  I hope to get my thyroid in check and drop some lbs in the process.

Here's to day 2!

My boss just asked me to go on a 3 day business trip next week, ah this is apparently going to have a challenge at every turn but I'm determined !

I'm at Becks Prime waiting for an unseasoned steak cooked on a wiped down grill with a salad

Just coming in a restaurant makes me nervous cause I want so do so good and not have ANYTHING I'm not supposed too

Hey there!  I am back for my second Whole30, my first was September of 2013 and I made it 22 days.  I stopped for reasons unrelated to my self-control, so I feel good about it, but very much want to make it the whole way this time.  My cousin and best friend are joining me, so it is AMAZING to have support besides you fine internet friends... not that I don't love you all :-)

I had a chaotic start to my morning (woke up an hour late, had nothing prepared for breakfast) and managed to stay on plan by eating last night's leftovers.  Lunch will have to be a salad, which is easy this time of year (I live in the PNW)- but so far I feel great.  The headaches haven't hit yet... but last time the sugar dragon didn't rear its ugly head until Day 4.  Fingers crossed!

How are you all feeling?

Also, smeredith, I try to stagger buying veggies to about every five days or so, I think you're doing really well.  Otherwise, I have too many options and things end up going bad.  I budget about $80/week during Whole30, $50 to replenish the big stuff (meat, nuts, oils, eggs) and $30 for produce.  So far it works, and it's always ok to make a soup or chili and throw anything you need to use up in there.  It helps me to do that, and then you can freeze some of it and have it on hand for emergency days.  

Have you seen the recipe on Well Fed for chocolate chili?  I highly recommend it- it's fabulous!  

Let me know if you have questions, I am happy to help although I am not an expert.  And the forum mods are awesome!

KEEP IT UP!

BecFreeby - thank you for the tips.  I spent about $140 for this first week, but some of the things will be "one time/not so frequent" buys like coconut aminos.  I really like your freeze tip, as there are bound to be emergency days.  I want to be prepared for those, as that is my issue in the past with slips being when I'm not prepared [not slips of Whole30, this is my first time].

I've seen the chocolate chili and now that I have a recommend, I will definitely make it - yay.  There are a lot of things I've put sticky notes on in Well Fed, just not sure that everything in there is Whole30 approved.  I'm sure it's paleo.  I need to finish reading it.

Thanks again.  

I'm feeling very hopeful with the support here.  

Day 2 is half over - yay.

Melissa Jouwlan makes it a point of making practically everything in Well Fed, and Well Fed 2 Whole 30 compliant.  The ones that are not compliant she makes a note at the top.  So Well Fed - it's the crumble at the end and Well Fed 2 it's the sweet potato "waffles" and I believe another dessert.

Love Well Fed and Well Fed 2! I cook almost exclusively from them and get no complaints. ;)

Day 3 and already feeling SO much better. I know there may still be a detox crash coming, but at this point I am flying high -- sleeping ever so much better, head so much clearer, didn't wake up with a headache today like I do when I'm eating poorly, mood is more manageable. We do eat Whole30-style at home regularly (like I said, WF and WF2 all day every day!), it's just that lately we were going out to family events a lot where there were not great choices to be made anyway and we made worse ones than we could have. So the foundation is pretty strong, but I did expect more detox symptoms these first few days... We shall see!

How is everyone feeling after day 4?  I have had a slight headache and some minor achiness, but overall this is MUCH better than the last go around.  I made lots of tasty treats for the upcoming week (mayo, chocolate chili, chicken salad, and kabobs- yum!) so that should help a lot with the crazy schedule.

Question for you guys- what's your go-to post workout snack?  I did a 5 miler on Saturday, and I don't think I ate enough after because I was STARVING two hours later... with an hour and a half to go until dinner.  It was quite the cranky afternoon for my poor husband :-)

I'm feeling good after day 4.  Only experienced headache day 2.  I guess I'm lucky.  

While I had hoped to do lots of prep yesterday, I only did a little.  I wanted to get in & make a slew of recipes from WF.  At least I have b/l/d made for today, that is huge progress.

BecFreeby - Regarding working out, I had thought I read in ISWF (and my trainer told me) to lay off heavy exercise for the first 2 weeks, as your body is adjusting to this new program.  I've just been doing treadmill and outside walking, none of which is making me famished.  So I don't have any suggestions for you - YET.  Hopefully someone else here does.

Hope everyone has a good Monday - and day 5.

Thanks smeredith, I bought some Larabars yesterday and will try to keep them on hand for the emergencies.  I realized that I really hadn't eaten enough protein that day, and I do plan to lay off the longer runs for the next few days.  I haven't had another "cranky spell" yet, so maybe I cracked the code on my own  ;)

And great job with the prep!  Sometimes taking it one day at a time makes it more manageable.  You'll find a good routine that works for you.  I like to just make extra whenever I cook, throw it in a container, and put it in the fridge or freezer for an emergency or lazy day.  Give that a try, it can save your butt when you're starving and pressed for time.

My headache today is much better- practically non-existant.  I don't have the fatigue that I experienced last time, either.  So that's basically awesome.

Happy day 6- we are almost one week down!  Way to go everyone!

How are you feeling?  I'm having a much more manageable time, but had an odd phenomenon... I have a ton of trouble falling asleep and feel so restless.  Has anyone else experienced this?  The last time around, I was so tired that my bed was like a new life partner, but I am just not able to pass out like I normally do.  Any suggestions/tips/sage advice?  Maybe more water in the evening?

Hi - This is my first time around, and I think (honestly) the only thing that has changed is that I'm waking 2-3x a night to use the loo.  I would get up maybe once a night in the past , so this is rather disruptive.  I figure it is from all the water in my veggies?  I am drinking the same amount of water during the day I always have, so that is all I can pinpoint.

Hoping that changes soon.  It's messing up my good fitbit statistics! :(

Where did all of our May 15th starters go!  I think it's just you and me in here, smeredith! :-)

How are you feeling?  

My sleep is back to normal, I slept like a ROCK the last two nights, so I'm thinking it was more related to anxiety than anything else.  Now I've moved on to more fun things, like a serious food aversion.  Protein is making me gag, and I don't know what to do about it!  I've tried chicken, beef, pork, and eggs, and all four cooked different ways are totally turning me off.  I have to force it down, and I am dreading my meals because of it.  I'm not usually a big meat eater, but this is unusual.  And unpleasant.  And gross.  

Suggestions?

Yep, BecFreeby I think it's just the 2 of us - oh well  :rolleyes:

I'm feeling good.  Still tired from waking up a few times during the night, but ok with it.

A bit nervous about my 1st (and likely only) night out during the Whole30 tonight.  I've looked at the menu about 10x and vacillated about what I'll order.  My friends all know that I would have rather put this off for another month, but 1 is in town and only has tonight to meet up with us. I was going to back out or not eat, but thought that was silly.  Others have been there, done that and still remained compliant.  I can too.

Protein...I hear ya, but for different reasons.  My lack of planning left me with nothing made for dinner, I had finished making my breakfast and lunch for today and was like "waitaminute - what's for dinner TONIGHT?!"  I realized I have frozen salmon patties, but already had salmon for lunch that day.  My usual "oh I'll just have cereal" was not going to happen.  I made it through ok, but need to get on board with better planning, so I'm not in a quandary and not bored with the options.  I don't eat beef or pork, so my options are fish, chicken, eggs.  

Hang in there - we've done a week already!!

Hi there! I started on the 15th also...just found this board. I'm really doing well, eating a lot of variety. I have found a few new recipes that I've mad a couple to times and love. I actually bought a spiralizer and have had so much fun experimenting with. Tonight we had foiled packets of spriralized sweet potatoes, sliced peppers and onions, chicken all tossed with some homemade fajita seasoning, lime and olive oil. After they baked for 20 minutes, I topped them with some wholly guacamole. My hubby even ate one packet and said it was good( he is not doing this with me.....loves his meat, potatoes and white bread!). I cooked a big batch of chicken breasts this weekend and then portioned out 5-6 ounces in small bags and popped them in the freezer. sure helps me to have that made for lunches/dinners....

I've been sleeping really well...and waking on my own, ready to get up...which is so unlike me - I usually have to drag myself out of bed! Can't believe one week is finished!

I'm here! Trucking along.

If you are sick of protein, try a mild white fish?

Excellent idea... I should have thought of it! Halibut is in season, I'll try that tomorrow. I made some egg salad for breakfast in the morning with pickles and dill, so hopefully changing up the "egg" taste will help.

Also, the "Sunday Night Stew" by the Pioneer Woman is AMAZING- I made it last night with extra veggies and no sugar, and it was divine. Seriously good. Please all go do it and let me know the life changing impact it has :)

S, I hope it went ok at the restaurant. I got nervous too, but you went prepared so I'm sure it was just fine. I have a bachelorette at the beginning of June that I am very stressed about, so I understand. Good luck!

On to Day 9!

I'm pretty frustrated. I had to travel unexpectedly 5 of the first 7 days and I lived on boiled eggs, bell peppers, and avocados , a few times I found lettuce to turn that into a salad and a couple times I had steak with only salt and pepper and steamed spinach and broccoli. I doubt that sirloin was grass fed but it was my best option. I'm still tired, having trouble sleeping , crankiness is starting to set in. I have been so careful yet here I am on day 9 and not experiencing the benefits. I'm committed to finishing but I feel like the great success stories I have read are just going to be other peoples stories :-(

Don't get discouraged, Brea- you are doing really well, and the benefits will come your way because you're getting healthy.

For the record, I had a really rough day yesterday, aches and a headache, blood sugar crashes, no energy, and very cranky. So you are not alone :) I feel better overall, but definitely not finding benefits yet. Tomorrow and Sunday are the days most people quit, so let's just purpose to survive the weekend and see how we feel on Monday.

I haven't heard any reports of Tiger Blood- so we have that still to look forward to.

I'm proud of all of us, this isn't hard and we CAN do it!

Hi Bec & Brea - my dinner out last night was actually fine.  I arrived early, got seated and immediately spoke to our server and told her I had allergies, similar to gluten and recited my memorized FGLASSD- flour, grains, legumes, alcohol, sugar, soy, dairy.  I have committed it to memory now.  She said "no problem" and went to speak to the chef.  By the time the others arrived, she checked back with our table and came to me and pointed out which things I could order that the chef could easily modify with my restrictions.  I felt MUCH better and enjoyed dinner without a knot in my stomach.  I woke up fine this a.m., so assuming everything was compliant, or I'd have had issues.

Interesting that this am after the gym, I felt exactly like you Brea - here I am on day 9, walking at least 10k steps every day, following to a T, and don't feel different and clothes are still tight.  I won't throw in the towel - yet, but this morning was feeling VERY discouraged.  I read a few success stories, so know I clearly need to wait til day30 to assess.  It's just hard to accept that my body is reacting positively to these changes, when there aren't any outwardly signs of it happening.  Here I was thinking I'd do a whole45...

But Bec, you're right, this isn't hard.  We can do it.

Archived