Is there really an advantage to 30 days over 29?

For the record, I am not on 29 yet... about half way there.

But we have some family events coming up towards the very end of my Whole 30 (birthdays and meals out) that will make the last few days difficult. I don't want to be a quitter, and I'm doing really great so far, but is there so magic to 30 that doesn't happen if you just do 28 or 29?

Life is always going to happen. How you handle life is what matters. Getting through those difficult family days and staying true to the commitment you made to this program will give you a feeling of accomplishment and control over your decisions about health that are worth more than any food in my humble opinion. 

Other than that the 30 days are what has been shown to have the greatest healing benefit to the greatest number of participants over the years that the program has been used. It is also the number of days most prescribed for changing habits. Some people may not need the full 30 days to heal and test, but it is hard to say if that would be you or not. Some people need more than 30 days if their issues are chronic. After the 30 days you also have a pretty clean and un-irritated gut to test foods with. If you off road on day 28 with multiple no foods and have a reaction it will be hard to know what your reaction was too.

All that said my advice would be to stick it out and give yourself the proper reintroduction period even if it is hard. But nobody can force you to do that. If you decide to tap out early I would highly recommend you find a time to start over and actually complete the challenge. We can't make you finish your Whole30 but we can (and will) encourage you too. :)

In other words--no health benefits. Just "don't be a quitter"....?

Of course there are health benefits (there are usually health benefits after the first couple of weeks), and, of course 30 days is only marginally better than 29. And it's not a matter of being a "quitter." Sometimes life happens and you do have to adjust. I think ultimately, though, it's a matter of attitude -- do you see the 30 days as your maximum commitment (after which you go back to your previous diet/lifestyle), or something like a minimum, in which you take the lessons learned to make lasting changes. You can deliberately, thoughtfully, and for what you believe are the right reasons, go off the Whole30 on the 29th day, and I don't think it's a big deal. But do you make long-term changes afterwards? That to me is the important thing.

My $.02.

Looks like events got rescheduled so completing won't be a problem anyways. I have no doubt that I could do it, and I do plan to eat differently after it's done.

I haven't really felt any changes so far--either good or bad--that make being on this really worth the trouble. Hopefully I will by the end.

I haven't really felt any changes so far--either good or bad--that make being on this really worth the trouble. Hopefully I will by the end.

Ah, now I get where you're coming from. No wonder you were wondering what the big deal was between 29 and 30.

And I'm really surprised. No changes one way or the other? You even skipped the headachy fatigue almost everyone gets the first few days?

Like you, I hope things change for the better before the end.

Yep. No changes either way. No headaches, fatigues, irritability. No increased energy or other good feelings. Just normal.

I wasn't a super-healthy eater before, but I wasn't a horrible one either. I've never cared much for soda, alcohol, fast foods or convenience foods. I did eat a LOT of sugary treats, TONS of grains and dairy, and I cooked at home with boxed/canned ingredients mixed with meats and veggies (lots of cream of whatever soup casseroles).

I am sticking with the program and only eating approved foods. I'm limiting fruit to 1-2x a day with meals. I do sometimes eat a 4th meal/snack in the evenings because I'm a nursing mother and I stay up for several hours after dinner so I do get legitimately hungry.

But day 16 and I still feel normal. No changes, really.

You are only half way through and if coming from a not too crazy diet then not getting the crazy detox symptoms isn't too unusual. I didn't either. Some people don't really notice a difference until day 29. Everyone is different. Keep focusing on getting those template meals in. Are you eating a good amount of strachy vegetables? 4 meals is both acceptable and encouraged for nursing mothers.

You switched from "a LOT of sugary treats, TONS of grains and dairy, and... boxed/canned ingredients mixed with meats and veggie" to Whole30 -- and NO sugar withdrawal??? 

Not fair!   ;) 

GlennR: (sorry I can't figure out how to quote on here)

Yep. I mean, I still want chocolate/bread every day. But I don't feel like I NEED it like I did before (when I knew I was going to walk right over and eat a ton of it). The cravings aren't any better/worse/different from day 1 to day 16. I think I'm doing everything right, so I guess I just got lucky?

GlennR: (sorry I can't figure out how to quote on here)

Yep. I mean, I still want chocolate/bread every day. But I don't feel like I NEED it like I did before (when I knew I was going to walk right over and eat a ton of it). The cravings aren't any better/worse/different from day 1 to day 16. I think I'm doing everything right, so I guess I just got lucky?

You quote by clicking the Quote button in someone's post.  That copies and pastes their post in your reply, so when you add your message and post, they get a notification that you've responded to them.

Archived