Need help doing AIP Whole30 - tips, tricks, howtos???

The Whole30 has definitely changed my life -- dramatic energy, skin, exercise recovery, blood sugar & joint pain improvements since my first one last August.  A big thank you to Melissa & Doug and to everyone here that put up with my whining about sweets in the forums and offered much useful advice.

However, given a family history of autoimmune conditions, along with my stalled weight loss & poor digestive function, I think I need to go further & try AIP to see if there are other problematic foods or if I just need more time & more healing.

My plan is to do my next Whole30 within AIP constraints.  (I've decided to do them quarterly as a proactive course correction.)  I'm very nervous about it -- way more so than I was with my first Whole30 experience -- I mean, how will I live without Well Fed mayo, chipotle & coffee!?!?!

Any advice or suggestions or reading/recipe recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Congratulations! I don't envy you on your AIP journey. I tried it and made it 8 days without eggs/mayo. I just couldn't do it anymore. I found that removing everything was too restrictive for me and am thinking I might try giving up one thing like eggs for 30 days and then nightshades and then nuts. I did not see any benefit whatsoever in 8 days so I don't think that AIP is my probelm. If you search google "whole30 AIP" or something like that you will get a lot of forums with tips and advise. I know a lot of people want to get the 30 days over with so they opt to remove everything for 30 days. Good Luck!

I did it, and so can you!

My first mental hurdle was figuring out how I'd manage breakfast without eggs - once I worked that out, everything else kind of fell into place. Plus I told myself I could do ANYTHING for 30 days.  Yes, AIP often needs longer to show full benefits, but I figured if 30 days later I saw no clear benefit that itself would be valuable information.  

Like you I have a family history riddled with autoimmune conditions but I'm luckily currently without any, so I think that made seeing any real benefit difficult - after 30 days I decided to slowly reintroduce - I'm following AIP reintroductions, AIP as recommended by Sarah Ballantyne (thepaleomom.com) in her new book The Paleo Approach, and that means reintroductions are 3-5 days apart and only one individual food - so basically even on a 30 day minimal full elimination it takes several months to work through re-introducing everything you took out.  

I've successfully reintroduced a bunch of stuff, had a surprise reaction to sesame of all things, and jury is still out on egg yolks (had a bad reaction but had confounding factors so doing another month without and will re-challenge).  

My advice is to figure out AIP compliant substitutions for your staples (maybe avocado ranch for mayo?), tea or something for the coffee (that was hard for me too) and well, the nightshade thing just was hard - I had no idea how much I used "spicy" tastes in my day to day life until suddenly they were gone.  Olive oil infused with garlic was my savior for the first week or two, it brought a somewhat spicy taste... and a lot of fresh ginger too.  

There are now several AIP cookbooks out, and I bought a couple, but mostly learned to adapt my old standbys and googled for a few others.  And PhoenixHelix runs a weekly AIP recipe roundup, I found a few good ideas there (including that avocado ranch) http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2014/05/07/paleo-aip-recipe-roundtable-26/

@sarahinparis:  Thanks so much for the advice.  You gave me the little tips that can be so very helpful, e.g., mayo substitute.  =)  The olive oil sounds genious -- love both those things -- did you just crush fresh garlic & add to EVOO?

I have been checking out PhoenixHelix - found her through a link to her kraut recipe. Which kraut, by the way, did amazing things for me, such that I am now working to ensure I have a constant supply.

Contemplating buying Sarah's big book or Mickey Trescott's cookbook, not sure which to get first.  And I did see that Melissa added AIP modification info in her newest cookbook, which I have & love, so maybe Sarah's book for the science-y hit, hmmmm, still not sure.

Anyone have both of them that could recommend which to start?

For me it is easier to follow by having a pattern that I stick more to.  Breakfast is typically soup--leftover meat from the night before and then lots of veggies, maybe some coconut milk in there or I make up some hamburger patties with onions and spices I keep the extra ones in the freezer to reheat quickly in the morning with some veggies.  Lunch is typically when I will have more of my raw veggies--a big salad, also with my protein, maybe some berries or cut up apple on the salad, too.  Then I can experiment more with dinner.  Sometimes I just good the meat I want to use with the words AIP and paleo and I find recipes or I do the same with a veggie.  paleomom.com has a section for AIP recipes, too.  

I also try and keep some fresh herbs like parsley and cilantro always on hand to cut up and top my soup or salad with and that seems to really make them more enjoyable.  

Mickey Trescott's cookbook is phenomenal. I've made probably 2/3 of the recipes in the book now, and every one has been awesome. 

I'm allergic to eggs, so I usually eat things like dinner for breakfast. Salmon with asparagus, cooked spinach, and celery root noodles is my typical breakfast. The nightshades are my stumbling block. I have to hide all the spices so I don't end up using them. 

I bought Well Fed 2 and Practical Paleo as recipe books - didn't use either one a ton, to be honest - once I found a few recipes I liked either by modifying my own or thanks to Google, I kinda stopped experimenting. But I cook for a family of 5 and I'm the only one paleo or AIP so most of the recipes seemed too involved and too unlikely to succeed with my clan, so dinners were generally just meat and veg on the table, with a side of pasta or whathaveyou for them... So the "other" things I made were generally for just me at breakfast or lunch and then it feels risky to make a whole one of a new recipe that I'm alone to eat...

I have Ballantyne's book - it's very thorough and long and I actually have 2 copies because I bought it first on kindle then realized you actually need it on paper to see the diagrams and all that - but in fact I've only read a small portion of it. I'd already decided to do a real full elimination AIP trial, had the rules from her site and I double checked a few spices and such in her book, and then honestly reading for weeks about all the whys just didn't seem necessary, since I was already fully committed.

I've read nothing but good reviews of Mickey Trescott's book, but since I didn't really use the other cookbooks, I've held back. The next cookbook on my wish list is Nom Nom Paleo and I'm still hoping I'll succeed with enough reintroductions to think that would be more useful for me. I've made several of her recipes (found online) and they've been great.some are even AIP adaptable.

Paleo Mom is the best science writer I've read. Or, one of them. Everything is clear, but nothing is dumbed down.

I did roughly 2 months of AIP last year and did a w25+ 5 ;) of AIP in April. I've been eating AIP since (not strictly w30 and I'm not 100% but I'm pretty close--though I eat the occasional serving of white rice, occasional wine, occasional chocolate and coffee--which I suspect I should cut.)

Paleo Mom has lots of great links. One I've added to my RSS feeder: https://salixisme.wordpress.com/category/paleo-autoimmune-protocol/. She has some interesting food ideas.

I recently met someone with a testimonial in PM's book. He was strict AIP for over 18mos and has eaten mostly AIP since--so, years. It can be done!

I think once you get past the initial freakout and grieving over your new favorite paleo foods, the AIP can be comforting and calming.

It's hell to try to eat out, I won't lie, but you will find things you enjoy!

Like Sarah I make very few "recipes," for similar reasons. I make one giant hunk f meat a week (brisket or pork shoulder, grass-fed, my splurge) and fill in with burgers, canned fish )mackerel and sardines), grass fed hot dogs. I make roast chicken or chicken thighs for dinner I can eat w my husband and kids. (Though my almost 3yo LOVES brisket, cabbage, kraut, and sardines!) When it's cold I eat beef stew. Now I eat a lot of meat over salad greens with my avo-lemon dressing (OO, lemon/lime/avocado).

I eat a lot of the same things over and over but it doesn't usually bother me. When I stray from that, I crave my regular meals. I miss them. They now feel comforting to me.

Sarah, I have NomNom book. I am feeling best on AIP. Don't bother with the book if you think that eggs and nightshades are not coming back to your menu soon. I was a bit disappointed tbh. On the other hand, I love her Ipad app.

My current favorite AIP blog is The Primitive Homemaker. Check for ideas.

Best thread, thanks guys!

I need to do an AIP due to my coeliac, but keep getting caught short (due to my own poor organisation!) and end up relying on eggs and coffee. I am also reliant on nuts and seeds (naughty me as they're not ideal.)

• 1 month later...

Hi I have started the whole 30 and now on day 10 I get the book " it starts with food" that I purchased and find out that people with autoimmune diseases should eliminate things like nuts and seeds. I have Reumatiod arthritis and that for 14 years now. But I would like to know whether COCONUT (nut), CHIA (seed), COCOA (nut/bean) and FLAXSEED OIL (seed) are no go?! And I apologize for any error in language I am from Denmark.

Hi all, I am on my second W30, first one I did no eggs or nightshades and this one is full AIP. I'm Day 21. 

Going well. 

@dansedino, flax, chia and cocoa are out on AIP as all are seeds. Coconut products are ok. 

I have found that prepping is the key to success and I too do a big cook up on Sundays with several proteins and especially condiments AIP style. I was a big almond butter gal but have found that coconut butter works as a good sub. 

I do miss mayo, can't lie to ya.  I happily eat a regular/small meal at breakfast and really don't miss eggs. The spices are the hardest thing I think - I love coriander and cumin. But there are plenty of herbs and spices you CAN have, so I focus on that. If you have a protein, some veggies, and a saucy sauce, you're good to go. 

I love this sauce. I leave out the red pepper flakes. Couple meals a week I'll have spaghetti squash with grilled chicken, this sauce, and a big handful of parsley. SO GOOD. 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/31668858279/leons-caper-and-anchovy-miracle-sauce

There really are tons of good recipes out there that can easily be made AIP. 

I have Mickey Trescott's book but also find it easy to modify recipes from Nom Nom Paleo - love her website and book. 

I recommend these websites:

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/

http://www.phoenixhelix.com/

http://aiplifestyle.com/

http://www.thepaleom...immune-protocol

http://terrywahls.co...ut-terry-wahls/

• 3 weeks later...

@deb The sauce sounds fabulous - gonna try it tonight. Still searching for an AIP mayo that works, but found the garlic infused olive oil is great so I'm using that in the meantime. I love Dr. Wahl's book & visit most of those links. I also found a great blog recently: petra8paleo; wonderful recipes & thought-provoking articles.

I have been adapting my favorite recipes (except for Well Fed mayo!) with good & sometimes great results. Still not sure about which book to get next -- have to restrain myself or the books crowd me out of my house -- but things are going along well in the kitchen so I think PaleoMom's is the favorite.

Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Good luck on your AIP journey. I'm on day 17! The toughest part is taking eggs out of my diet. So you just have to get used to having different proteins for breakfast. I really like using avocado to replace mayo or top my burgers. So far I'm use to it but eggs are definitely going to be the first thing I try to reintroduce.

@deb: wow that sauce is fabulous - so good, I could just drink it!!

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good - life got extremely stressful these past 2 weeks, but I've managed to stay on track food-wise. Haven't kept up my exercise routine - energy flagging so I'm not pushing it for now.

18 days down!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here we are down to the wire. Tomorrow is Day 30, so what's next?

For me, I think I will continue on AIP for a bit longer and keep to Whole 30 guidelines for the most part, except for the occasional "safe" treat -- plantain wraps, anyone?

It has been a struggle for sure, but mostly in the beginning. After the 1st couple of weeks, I kind of settled into it. Doing a lot of outside-the-box meals, like a thing I call deconstructed Reuben salad -- chunk of leftover roast on top of big bowl of mixed greens, with homemade sauerkraut on top & garlic infused olive oil drizzled over. The infused EVOO and "Leon's Miracle Sauce" from Nom-Nom Paleo helped me get over my Well Fed mayo withdrawals; I still miss mayo, but am very happy using one of these in most places I'd have used mayo.

Where I used to think "over rice/potatoes" I now think "over cauli-rice and/or mixed greens" (I frequently start with a layer of mixed greens, then layer cauli-rice on that, then top with saucy/main/meat/whatever). Mastery of cauli-rice has helped immensely; keeping cauliflower cleaned & prepped in the fridge means cauli-rice in 10 minutes. This cooking hack from Whole30's page of said hacks is your cauli-friend.

To be honest, I actually enjoyed the challenge to rethink recipes within AIP confines. Some things were a resounding success (my son actually prefers my AIP makeover of Tom Denham's slow cooker chuck roast) & Melissa's Cocoa-Toasted Cauliflower translated well (carob for the cocoa, ginger & wasabi for a bit of heat in lieu of the paprika). Some things will not be reworkable, but might be reintroducible -- eggs obviously are one of those. But, I've seen enough progress to make me want to continue for a bit longer.

2 biggest bonus items for me ==>

#1 - I believe I have FINALLY slayed the sugar dragon; seriously, I've been whining about this since I first discovered paleo over a year ago and I realized I don't think about it much anymore, except in social situations (home made brownies brought to the office!).

#2 has been hunger & portion control. Seriously, anyone that hasn't experienced the constant ravenous hunger that often accompanies obesity has no clue how liberating its absence can be. I've had days when I didn't eat lunch until 2PM because that's when I got hungry. I've also found myself looking at a "normal" sized plate full of veggies & some meat & thinking "hmm, that looks like a lot of food" -- new territory for this chubster. Astounding!!

So anyone that thinks they can't do it or it's not worth it, I say "Try it - you may like it"; at the very least, you'll have learned something about yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to take a look into AIP part of the Whole30 as an  assistance to Autoimmune disease... Thank God for this forum

Nanny D that is what I am doing; have been since 6/9! Do it!

Its really not that hard. Ok it is hard but its do-able. 

Outdorsgirl is joining the Dirty30 as well on Monday and she'll be doing it too.  

I am posting AIP recipes this time too with the Ingredient of the Day. 

Have you read this blog, great place to start, she has Hashimoto's Disease:

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/about/

Archived