Whole30 & Depression Medication

Hi all, I am looking to start whole30 soon, just downloaded the success guide. I was curious to see how staying on my depressionmedication will effect the outcome. I currently I take 20 mg of Lexapro (generic) and 30 mg of Cymbalta. I am working with my doctor to wean off the Cymbalta and will only be taking the other. How might this effect the outcome of whole30 and could there be possible effects on how I react to the medication? Thanks!

Shawna

Thank you for posting this! I have been taking Cymbalta for 9 years and am finally in a place to say I want out! I am working with my doctor to start weaning me as well (have not started yet). I would love other posters to share their experiences!

This is a tough question, as we're not doctors, and everyone responds to the program differently. Continue working closely with your doctor, and understand that the medication you're on won't affect the big picture goals of the Whole30... But your changing hormones and gut environment may impact your mental status. Many have been able to wean off their meds after their Whole30, but you'll have to play it by ear and see how you feel. Sorry I couldn't offer something more definitive than that - there are so many moving pieces to this one that it's impossible to predict how things will go.

Shawna, you may be surprised to see how your depression is tied into diet. I believe very strongly that depression and carbohydrates (especially the crummy ones - cereal, sugar...) are directly linked for me. I can't say with 100% certainty which comes first, depression and then carbohydrates or carbohydrates then depression. But I am starting to believe it's carbohydrates being causally linked to depression. This is just me, but maintaining complex carbs (tons of veggies) and meat sure makes my brain happier and my outlook on life more optimistic. What a welcome change! Good luck to you and just stay dialed in to your moods and keep your doctor informed.

• 1 month later...

Keeping a record of what you eat, time you eat, and your mood at various times of the day is really helpful. In terms of if the meds will affect the Whole30, I think as we get healthier some of the side effects of some drugs become more noticible particularly one's that cause gut issues. I don't know why this is though. The good news is that for many of us our mental illness greatly improves on Whole30.

• 4 weeks later...

Part of why depression and carbs tend to go together is that carbs trigger a serotonin dump that tends to be over-processed by the brain leading to a mild deficit which creates a sense of feeling a bit blue and leading to a craving for more carbs to bump you up again. I talk with my patients about this all the time when we're discussing their coping strategies which include food for most folks.

Personally I've found that the meds are very important to my well being. That really varies a lot from person to person. I also urge you strongly to work with your doctor on this and not ever try to go off the meds without a doctors support through it.

I've found that eating clean paleo is really good for my mental health, but not the whole picture (for me). Sunlight exposure, walking, good quality sleep and stress reduction are also really important. Essentially the meds keep me alive and a clean diet and other lifestyle changes make me thrive.

I may consider weaning again, maybe in 6 months or so, but I wouldn't do it without a really rock solid mullti-month diet/lifestyle habit in place or without doctor approval and care.

Archived