Whole30 No Nuts No Buts No Coconuts

1st30inSpain

Hi! I am on Day 1 (after a Day 3 restart. How was I supposed to know that homemade Gaspacho has bread in it?!) and I am having some issues with the template because I can't eat nuts or coconut due to a non-stomach related health concern.

Is there anything I could eat instead?

Does this mean my diet will be deficient in nutrients? 

I am not hungry at all between meals, except for sugar cravings triggered by the fact that I pass three bakeries on my way out of the house. 

Thanks!

Heaps of people don't eat nuts by choice or necessity - you're not alone there! And as long as you're getting fats from other sources, you're not missing out on anything. So things like avocados, olive oil, homemade mayo (which is olive oil, again :) ) - tonnes of other things too.

I know what you mean - I never particularly want bread apart from walking past the bakery early in the morning when they're baking!

Update: Eating out is hard as hell. Why would they douse salmon carpaccio with mayo? 

On a less obvious note, I just had a rather heated discussion with my roommate about repression. His point was that anytime we consciously deprive the body of something that is written on our neurological pathways it comes back with a vengeance. I was trying to articulate the idea of changing my attitude about food and learning about my bodies response to sugar. He maintained that the best thing to do when you feel like eating cookies is eat cookies because then you don't associate guilt with food. I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but I feel terrible. Also, it's not helping that I am arguing in my second language on very little sleep and that I am craving cookies.

I have SO many reasons to be doing this.   

So next time you feel like getting high, you should just mainline some heroin, then you won't associate guilt with it...

Is he also suggesting that we are unable to change any habit because it's written on our neurological pathways? I think there are many experts who would beg to differ with that.

During my w30, I found that I have to really, really stay away from nuts and coconut.  It took a little bit of doing, but I have actually learned how to incorporate other fats into my meals - duck fat, tallow, lard, ghee (I am now making my own - so easy), avocado (love guacamole), olives, olive oil...  and there is probably more. (My latest favorite:  moroccan dipping sauce from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com - just spoon over vegies or protein)  Each different oil that you cook with lends a different taste sensation to the food.  Amazing how I never noticed it before :)

Good luck to you on your journey!

Archived