Disgusted with food

I am now on day 24 and suddenly feel as though I have no appetite.  I have gotten really good at paying attention to my body's cues and when I do feel hungry, I will make  a big plate of food according to the template and maybe get half of it down and after about bite 4 that is a serious struggle.  I am most likely bored with my food and I get that but my concern is am I getting enough fuel for my body namely since I just began adding Olympic lifting to my workout schedule.

I have been reading "It starts with food" and the more I learn about my pre-whole30 food, the less I want to go back to that lifestyle.  I plan to adopt a mostly paleo diet following the whole30 but am now getting scared because the second food actually touches my mouth I lose my appetite.  I am usually able to eat breakfast without any real problems.  However, yesterday I made kale and scrambled eggs and as soon as the kale touched my mouth I was immediately repulsed so I just ate the eggs and my strawberries.  But this trend has been the same with some food group for each meal.  At dinner last night I was able to eat half of the chicken I prepared and about two bites of broccoli but that sweet potato was not going down. 

Just looking for some feedback.  Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, and last night I had a dream that I ate an entire bag of cool ranch Doritos.  I haven't had a craving for that and in my dream it wasn't even what I wanted but I  ate it anyway.  I haven't had food dreams since week 1.  I woke up and tried to rationalize that apparently the only thing my body wants is Doritos so maybe I should buy a bag and see how my appetite does with that....I'm not going to do it.  Honestly if I could have anything it would be Greek yogurt since I have been craving for at least three weeks now.  Just frustrated because I don't think I'm getting enough nutrition and my mind is playing tricks on me telling me to eat bad things

Hi There,

Losing appetite, especially when you feel you are doing so good, is frustrating.  But it is normal.  The loss of appetite thing may last a day or 3.  But be patient, keep on feeding yourself whole food.  If you want to be creative in the kitchen to inspire your taste buds - now is the time to do it.

I've been paleo/whole 30 since Aug 2012 and I still get times that I feel super "meh" about food.  It's then that I break out Nom Nom Paleos Korean Short Rib recipe, or make some of Well Fed's Pad Thai.  Basically make some of your favourites and that should help you get out of the slump a bit.

Thanks.  I thought I had prepared for this phase last week but maybe I over prepared.  I cooked tons of food over the weekend for meal prep and not a single thing I have sounds enticing.  I may just need to break down and buy a cook book.  I am usually pretty good about internet surfing for recipes, but when I'm in my kitchen after work; having a book handy with some pretty pictures may just be what I need right now.

Yup what Carlaccini said. This is totally normal at this stage. Feed yourself what you can. Save your leftovers and try to finish them later. Definitely try some new things. Your body is doing a last ditch effort to get you to go back to feeding it crap. It wants the quick carbs because it still isn't assured that it doesn't need them. And it doesn't. I have been paleo/whole30 since March 2012 and still have an occasional food dream and also go through meh days about food. Usually my meh days have more to do with cooking so I have my fallback foods. Things that are quick and easy and tasty. 

Thanks.  I thought I had prepared for this phase last week but maybe I over prepared.  I cooked tons of food over the weekend for meal prep and not a single thing I have sounds enticing.  I may just need to break down and buy a cook book.  I am usually pretty good about internet surfing for recipes, but when I'm in my kitchen after work; having a book handy with some pretty pictures may just be what I need right now.

Buying a cookbook sounds like a great idea. I would recommend Well Fed, Well Fed 2, or NomNomPaleo as great starter books. I'm kind of a cookbook addict myself.

• 7 months later...

I am having similar issues as TalMay, which does not seem to be uncommon on the forum, but I am sort of starting to panic.  I am on day 32 and I was planning on doing a Whole60, but I started reintroduction yesterday because I am having so many issues eating.

I have been disgusted by food for at least two weeks now.  I put something in my mouth, and it takes everything in me not to spit it out or to keep myself from gagging.  This is with pretty much anything.  I have tried cooking many different things (I have both WellFed books and the NomNom Paleo app) and even things that have been my favorite are unpalatable. 

I am not even craving junk food.  The idea of going to Chick-fil-A and getting what used to be my favorite meal sounds disgusting.  I just don't want to eat anything.  But at the same time, I am HUNGRY.  For the past hour I have been trying to eat my breakfast - eggs, bacon, veggies and some raspberries.  So far I have been able to eat the berries, but otherwise I have only eaten a piece of bacon, had one bite of egg and have nibbled on the veggies.  The smell of the food makes me nauseated.  I think maybe I can eat the berries because they don't have a strong odor?

This has been more or less what has happened to me for the past week or two.  I have been preparing and sitting down to three meals a day and I force down as much as I can, but I am still hungry.  I am starting to feel dizzy which is not good and I am scared and just want to cry.

I plan on going to a restaurant for lunch today and hopefully I can get something that is new and appealing there.

Also, I did a Whole30 two years ago and did not have these issues.  Other than not wanting to eat, I feel much better than I did when I started.   I had whole body inflammation, swelling and joint pain which almost completely gone - I didn't realize how much chronic pain I was in until this stuff went away.  Maybe part of me doesn't want to eat because food made me feel so terrible in the first place.

Has anyone every had such extreme aversion to food for such a long time?

• Administrators

I am having similar issues as TalMay, which does not seem to be uncommon on the forum, but I am sort of starting to panic.  I am on day 32 and I was planning on doing a Whole60, but I started reintroduction yesterday because I am having so many issues eating.

I have been disgusted by food for at least two weeks now.  I put something in my mouth, and it takes everything in me not to spit it out or to keep myself from gagging.  This is with pretty much anything.  I have tried cooking many different things (I have both WellFed books and the NomNom Paleo app) and even things that have been my favorite are unpalatable. 

I am not even craving junk food.  The idea of going to Chick-fil-A and getting what used to be my favorite meal sounds disgusting.  I just don't want to eat anything.  But at the same time, I am HUNGRY.  For the past hour I have been trying to eat my breakfast - eggs, bacon, veggies and some raspberries.  So far I have been able to eat the berries, but otherwise I have only eaten a piece of bacon, had one bite of egg and have nibbled on the veggies.  The smell of the food makes me nauseated.  I think maybe I can eat the berries because they don't have a strong odor?

This has been more or less what has happened to me for the past week or two.  I have been preparing and sitting down to three meals a day and I force down as much as I can, but I am still hungry.  I am starting to feel dizzy which is not good and I am scared and just want to cry.

I plan on going to a restaurant for lunch today and hopefully I can get something that is new and appealing there.

Also, I did a Whole30 two years ago and did not have these issues.  Other than not wanting to eat, I feel much better than I did when I started.   I had whole body inflammation, swelling and joint pain which almost completely gone - I didn't realize how much chronic pain I was in until this stuff went away.  Maybe part of me doesn't want to eat because food made me feel so terrible in the first place.

Has anyone every had such extreme aversion to food for such a long time?

Any chance you're pregnant?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having this feeling for the last couple of days too. I'm at day 29, and my appetite went WAY DOWN a few days ago.

I had a super long cycle this month during which I ate A LOT including many starchy veg, and now that that is finally over, I'm dealing with some not-so-fun postnasal drip. I just don't want to eat most things. I managed broth with veggies and some turkey this morning but I couldn't imagine a breakfast of the size I had been having (4 eggs + 2c veg + avocado or coconut milk).

Not sure if I need to mix it up, wait until it passes, or force myself to eat on schedule. I can tell that my body is throwing a tantrum wanting me to eat a bowl of rice or plain noodles (bland things I usually have when I'm not feeling well) and the fact that reintroduction is looming definitely comes into play.

Edit: I am still sick but food started becoming appealing again. It took 3 days of just staring at food and eating what I could manage until I was totally full.

Archived