Day 4: Back pain? Also Nursing.

Hi! So starting last night I've had a dull aching lower back. Right in the middle, sorta between the top of my hip bones. I'm not sure if it's diet related but I did not do anything to pull it in anyway. I have read some things that pointed to ketosis but wasn't sure if it could be that. I started on Monday. I am also nursing a 5 month old, if that would relate at all. Wondering if anyone has experienced this back pain or had any insight. Thank you!

Hi! So starting last night I've had a dull aching lower back. I'm not sure if it's diet related but I did not do anything to pull it in anyway. I have read some thing that pointed to ketosis but wasn't sure if it could be that. I started on Monday. I am also nursing a 5 month old, if that would relate at all. Wondering if anyone has experienced this back pain or had any insight. Thank you!

Can you tell us what you have been eating in the last 4 days? It is very likely you are too low carb and/or not eating enough in general but it is hard for me to say without seeing what you have been eating.

Sure!

Monday:

2 hard boiled eggs and a banana

Salad with tuna in olive oil with lemon

Pollock with tomatoes, Guacamole, onions, peppers, lettuce, hot sauce

A whole Mango

Tuesday:

2 eggs scrambled with coconut oil and onion

2 bananas

Raw cashews/raw almonds

Kale/cilantro beef meatballs (quite a lot of them) Brussels sprouts

Beef soup which was just water/beef/garlic/cilantro/onion/salt

More soup for dinner with a whole avocado

Wednesday:

Meatballs and Brussels sprouts again

Stir fried chicken with mixed veggies

2 bananas

Raw cashews/raw almonds

Mango/red peppers/beets/celery/mixed greens/piece of grilled chicken

Cucumbers/tomatoes salt

Today so far:

3 eggs scrambled with tomatoes and onion

1 banana

Raw cashews/raw almonds

I also wondered if yesterday I possibly didn't have enough water? It was more that. Before whole30 but less than Monday and Tuesday. I think I had 120oz those days and yesterday like 80oz maybe.

Thank you!!

I'm assuming each line item is something eaten at a separate time, is that correct?

You certainly are eating very low carb which is especially dangerous while breast feeding. You are also really not eating enough in general. You need a lot more calories while you are nursing a baby.

My advice would be to start aiming for 4 meals a day following the meal planning template. Make sure that you include starchy vegetables in at least 1, but preferably 2 or more of these meals. Remember that a serving of eggs is as many whole ones as you can hold in your hand without dropping them. I have small hands and usually eat 4. Keep fruits as part of a meal either as an ingredient or directly following your meat, veggies, and fat instead of as a snack.

Some specific examples using what you posted on Day 1: 

- add an egg or two to your first meal and fill the rest of your plate with a vegetable (maybe sauteed kale or spinach) and maybe a sweet potato with some coconut butter

- Not clear if salad was just greens or more vegetables. I would add mayo to your tuna for more fat (which you also need a lot of while breastfeeding) and perhaps an additional vegetable.

- Your 3rd meal looks good though the portion size isn't clear. Was the mango immediately after that meal or later? 

You are off to a good start so just making some minor adjustments and generally eating more will go a long way.

Thank you SO much! This is VERY helpful. I also want to make sure I'm doing what's best for my baby so the fact that I've been too low is concerning to me. My supply has not dipped thankfully.

You are correct, they were all separately to indicate a different time for eating. Monday I had a REALLY bad headache, so the mango was actually my dinner and then I went to bed. The salad only had sunflower seed a and pepitas. It wasn't enough.

Right now, for lunch, I am having baked chicken that had some balsamic vinegar, almond flour, and garlic tossed with it, sautéed kale with tomatoes, and oven roasted sweet potato that I cooked with onions and herbs. It's quite a large portion. I wish I could upload a picture.

One if my main concerns has been the elimination if dairy while nursing, I've had some raised eyebrows when people ask. So I really do thank you. I'll have to make some mayonnaise.

I never had this pain when I first did paleo, but when I found out I was pregnant that went down the drain, so I wondered if it was related to nursing and not having enough.

You do not need to consume the milk of a cow in order for your body to healthfully produce milk for your baby.  Cow milk does not make human milk.  It is not the same thing.  (I'm saying this to you so you can say it in your head as you smile and nod at the people who think you need cow milk in order to make milk for your baby.  :lol: )

I'll add the following to what you've already heard - eat up! :wub:

Haha thank you! I definitely did laugh out loud reading that. It is definitely a silly misconception now isn't it?! I just devoured my lunch. I'm sure I will need to get something else soon. And I sure will increase my food intake. Off to the grocery store after work!

Quickly reverting back to my question, so I understand entirely, not eating enough is what is actually causing my back pain, especially bc I am nursing, I need I eat more. Hopefully this will all subside soon.

Thank you again.

Haha thank you! I definitely did laugh out loud reading that. It is definitely a silly misconception now isn't it?! I just devoured my lunch. I'm sure I will need to get something else soon. And I sure will increase my food intake. Off to the grocery store after work!

Quickly reverting back to my question, so I understand entirely, not eating enough is what is actually causing my back pain, especially bc I am nursing, I need I eat more. Hopefully this will all subside soon.

Thank you again.

I can't say with 100% certainty that the back pain is related to your diet, but if you had read that it is a symptom of ketosis then it is a possibility. I would make the adjustments and wait a few days and see if it improves. If you have the time to see a massage therapist or chiropractor that might give you additional good feedback. Regardless of your back pain it is clear you need to eat more in general and fat and carbs specifically so making those changes will only help even if it doesn't solve the original problem.

Archived