Can I have snacks?

angelanadine

This may seem like an obvious question, snacking should be avoided, and meals should be eaten at meal-time, post-work-out or nursing/pregnant. I know, I read the book, the website, the FB group.

But -like presumably a lot of people- I crave something after dinner, in front of a nice movie ect. Is there any habit to have that would be ok? 

Some people suggest fat, so if I snack on spoonfuls of coconut butter, is that better? Nuts, seeds, dried fruit? Only in moderation, and more like a part of a meal as I understand it. A cup of coffee? A glass of carbonated water? Kale and zucchinis? 

I guess I'm wondering, is there anything that is truly ok to have to snack on, not even in moderation? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

• Moderators

The reason to eat is because you are hungry. Eating by habit or as a response to the stimulus of various events reflects the kind of relationship with food that you should probably work on changing. 

The ideal for establishing good hormonal rhythms is to eat within an hour of waking in the morning and then every 4-6 hours, stopping about 2 hours before going to sleep. Grazing, eating more often is not supportive of good hormonal rhythms. There are good reasons to alter the schedule periodically, but snacking is generally a bad habit. 

The reason to eat is because you are hungry. Eating by habit or as a response to the stimulus of various events reflects the kind of relationship with food that you should probably work on changing. 

The ideal for establishing good hormonal rhythms is to eat within an hour of waking in the morning and then every 4-6 hours, stopping about 2 hours before going to sleep. Grazing, eating more often is not supportive of good hormonal rhythms. There are good reasons to alter the schedule periodically, but snacking is generally a bad habit. 

Tom, do you have a list of what additives are compliant (if not healthy)? I know the big three no-nos from the guidelines (carrageenan, MSG, and sulfites), and I guess I can compile a list from the forums if necessary. But maybe you already have one?

• Moderators

Tom, do you have a list of what additives are compliant (if not healthy)? I know the big three no-nos from the guidelines (carrageenan, MSG, and sulfites), and I guess I can compile a list from the forums if necessary. But maybe you already have one?

I have not been systematic enough in my approach to keep such a list. What I recall is that over the years as I have looked up additives in Wikipedia and other sources, I have read about several things that are considered safe as food additives that I would not want to eat after looking over the details. 

I don't worry about this stuff much as I make a point of eating mostly fresh food. I consume canned salmon and tuna, beets, artichokes, olives, coconut milk, tomatoes, and a few other things. I buy the stuff that has ingredients I recognize and approve. I was looking at cans in the store the other day and was surprised that the store brand of beets I like was only beets, water, and salt, but a big-name brand included high fructose corn syrup. They add sweetener to canned beets? 

Thanks for the response, Tom Denham.

I don't much like your response, but I appreciate it.

I think there is much truth in it, I just don't like it.

I have much work to do on the snacking issue. I'm also on D13 of my W30, and arguably the cravings are the worst they have been so far. 

I think it might help if you made a rule. Following this whole30 for me is easier because there are hard and fast rules to follow. Break a rule and I'm not whole30.

We are a movie and TV family. For a few summers the kids and I spent weeks in the movie theaters. We decided to make a rule. No eating in the movies. It wasn't easy but it worked. We stopped buying movie food and eat absolutely nothing at the movies. That was 20 years ago and the rule worked.

I like that this program forbids snacking. It just makes it clear to me. If I have cravings or NEED to snack? I've not eaten enough the previous meal. Or have not eaten right. It's a learning experience. And it's not easy but it happens.

I found that out when yesterday I only had time to grab three HB eggs for breakfast. By 11 am I was in deep trouble and had to buy a protein box at Starbucks. I ate the egg and the fruit and gave the non compliant things away.

So I work on my meals making them as filling and balanced as possible. Another rule I cannot break.

It might help. I'm a rule follower. Not better or worse than anyone else. It helps me stay on track. Good luck!

Archived