Day30 - starting with non-scale successes

alijac

I did it! Well, two meals and I will have done it...but I have no worries about them as they are already made.

I promised myself that I would celebrate non-scale successes, so I am posting those today before I weigh tomorrow. I need to lose weight, but with PCOS and being almost four months post-partum, there are some hormonal things that need tackling before I think that will really start to happen. So, here are the good things I know today:

1. My skin is clearer.

2. My wedding rings are slightly looser.

3. While I didn't get an amazing energy boost (hey, I'm four months post-partum!) I do think I have more energy.

4. I didn't eat sugar for a WHOLE month!

5. I didn't really miss sugar, but didn't really binge on fruit either (kept it to two servings or less almost every day...I think I should try another month with one serving/day at most, but that's another month...

6. Hubby and I ate really good food all month long.

7. We broke our bad eating out/takeout cycle. We did have two or three restaurant meals, and I can't totally guarantee they honored my requests 100%, but this made me more mindful of how crappy restaurant food is and how "all natural" doesn't mean much of anything (read the ingredients in panera's chicken breast and you'll see what I mean.

8. When I grocery shopped yesterday, I only bought one reintroduction food...whole milk. There just wasn't anything else I really wanted, though I may have hubby get some gelato from Whole Foods on my dairy day. This in and of itself is simply amazing. I can't believe I am not ready to crawl head first into a bag of...something unhealthy...can't think of what it would be cause nothing really appeals. Crazy.

Tomorrow, I'll post my numbers results, which I fear will not be as good. My clothes don't really feel looser, which is really disappointing, but I'm still trying to keep in mind that i may need longer to reset before my body starts losing weight...it's always been a struggle, and I don't think even as great a program as this can cure everything in 30 days.

So much of this seems to be about changing our relationship with our food/health/environment, which is not something a scale can tell you. I really appreciate you posting your non-scale successes first. Thanks for inspiring me. :)

Congratulations Alijac! I am on Day 3 and really struggling. I really appreciate being able to come here to the "success stories" and see confirmation of why I'm trying to do this! Thanks for sharing and good luck going forward!

Thanks, everyone, for the responses - i appreciate every kind word. Lizzy, you're in excellent company in this group. Let us know if you need ideas to help, or just some encouragement - i know you can do it!

Well, the scale results were pretty good - 5.2 pounds gone, and I'm one pound from my pre-baby weight. That's just one milestone I need to reach on my weight loss path, but they all count. I plan to complete the reintroduction phase, then start another Whole30 right away. Are there any stories of people doing that long-term for weight loss?

Thanks again, everyone! I'm pretty happy with all the successes of my Whole30 experience.

Archived