kombucha in the uk?

Sugar in the ingredients list is expected in Kombucha, it's what is required to feed the "mother" and actually make the Kombucha tea.

Check out local health food shops, I live in a 4-years-behind-present west wales town and they sell Equinox Kombucha in the little health food store in my nearest town :)

• Moderators

Yep. This stuff looks okay. The sugar is consumed by the fermentation process. A few commercially oriented brands add more sugar to sweeten the drink, but real kombucha begins life with sugar, but is not an especially sweet drink at the end. This brand looks okay. 

Yep. This stuff looks okay. The sugar is consumed by the fermentation process. A few commercially oriented brands add more sugar to sweeten the drink, but real kombucha begins life with sugar, but is not an especially sweet drink at the end. This brand looks okay. 

I'm confused. Per the Can I Have Guide, it states the following:

Kombucha: Read your labels

We like the probiotic benefits of ‘booch, and we think it makes a fine addition to your Whole30 menu. Just read your labels carefully—sugar listed in the ingredients generally means that it was added after fermentation, and that's a no-go.  Some varieties, like GT Dave's Enlightened flavors, have fruits and fruit juices added, which are just fine.- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.mc2DRUU7.dpuf

So wouldn't that make this UK brand a no go?  Just trying to ensure I understand the kombucha rules.  :) 

The Kombucha that I have bought today:

http://www.equinoxkombucha.com/pages/the-drinks

Has this note on its website:

N.B. although the second ingredient is sugar, most of it is digested by the Kombucha culture during the fermentation process

So from the information that I read on the website I presusmed that the sugar was used before brewing for the "Mother" to digest and not added for sweetness after the brewing process.

I scanned through the gokombucha website too and they seem to brew by the same ethics as Equinox Kombucha? I hope these are ok as I don't want to have slipped up :/

• Moderators

I'm confused. Per the Can I Have Guide, it states the following:

Kombucha: Read your labels

We like the probiotic benefits of ‘booch, and we think it makes a fine addition to your Whole30 menu. Just read your labels carefully—sugar listed in the ingredients generally means that it was added after fermentation, and that's a no-go.  Some varieties, like GT Dave's Enlightened flavors, have fruits and fruit juices added, which are just fine.- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.mc2DRUU7.dpuf

So wouldn't that make this UK brand a no go?  Just trying to ensure I understand the kombucha rules.  :) 

GT Dave's kombucha, the kind I drink most of the time, lists organic cane juice/sugar as an ingredient, but it is added to facilitate fermentation, not afterwards. The line you are quoting is an overstatement. The problem is that it is hard to know what is okay and what is not okay given the process by which kombucha is made. If the drink is sweet tasting, it may have sugar added after the fermentation. Classic kombucha is not a sweet drink.

Tried some today as I was in London so went via whole foods, love it!! lady looked at me in horror on the train like I was drinking cider though haha!

Archived