Sauerkraut - expectations?

After reading 4 pages of 'sauerkraut' search results, I still have some rather pointed questions. I learned that there are some people on this forum who are serious about their kraut, so I'm looking forward to all your advice!

Background - I finished my 2nd Whole30 on Tuesday with less than stellar results. I have inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis) and PCOS, and family history of psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis. I could also stand to lose about 50 pounds, although that is not my primary goal. I know there is no quick fix for me and that this will be a lifelong journey towards health.

I plan to start a new Whole30 on Monday and my first goal is to incorporate fermented foods Into my diet. I have a mental block about kombucha and kimchi is still too spicy for my GI tract to handle, but I love sauerkraut and pickles. I've only ever eaten canned sauerkraut, which I know had been processed to the point of removing all the fermenty goodness. I have a jar of homemade kraut bubbling on my counter and I bought a bag of raw refrigerated sauerkraut today. I read on another website that people who are just starting on raw fermented foods should begin with a small amount so their bodies can get used to it. My questions are:

1. What is a reasonable amount to start with and what amount should I build up to?

2. What sort of 'repercussions' should I expect? For example, eating my first sauerkraut meal before a 2-hour yoga class = bad idea? I guess I'm worried about GI side effects for the most part.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to all y'all's wisdom!

• Moderators

Starting slow with sauerkraut might mean eating a portion as big as your index finger and if that goes well, double it, and if that goes well, double it again. A normal serving of sauerkraut for me is about 1.5 times the size of my palm.

Melissa Hartwig warmed me that not everyone should eat as much fermented food as I do. :)

I did not have a problem when I started eating sauerkraut, but I did have some problem with GI effects when I started drinking kombucha. This lasted about 4 days and then stopped. I started drinking a whole bottle of kombucha per day at the start even though starting with less is frequently recommended.

My Whole Foods store sells two versions of kimchi. One is medium and one is mild. I like the flavor of the medium, but not the texture, so I only buy the mild version nowadays. The mild stuff is not as strong as Bubbies sauerkraut to me.

I did not realize the Bubbies pickles I buy were fermented for a long time. I add them to tuna or salmon salad 3-4 times per week. I've never noticed a problem, but we're talking one large pickle at a time. 

How did you cook the sauerkraut? My mother used to cook a can of it all day long. She made it with caraway seeds and it was soft and creamy. I'm sure there was flour which I can't do. Any suggestions. I love the stuff but straight out of the Bubbies jar no.

I didn't cook it, just dumped it on the hot dogs. It was definitely a stronger and tangier taste than canned/cooked, but very yummy. I let it come to room temperature while I cooked everything else, so hopefully that doesn't affect the probiotic critters

I have occasionally added about a half of a grated apple to my sauerkraut to cut the acidity a little bit - just a taste preference.  When I first started eating sauerkraut, I had some excess gas - so probably not a good idea just before yoga  ;)

Archived