Overheard in my house this evening....

Son: "Daddy, what is this on my plate?"

Dad: "It's mashed potatoes. .... I think."

Ha! He actually had to ask me to be sure. It was mashed cauliflower and it was awesome. Tasted soooo good I couldn't stop eating it. My hubby is a "meat and potatoes" man so he grumbles about the lack of white potatoes in my cooking, but he still ate the cauliflower! (Not sure he would have actually admitted that he liked it.)  ;)

Can you really not tell the difference!?  I am so NOT a veggie girl and I'm pretty proud of myself on day 5 for all of the things that I've eaten already, but that head of cauliflower in my fridge seems pretty scary to me!  I'm avoiding a vegetable.  There's another sign of a Whole30-er.

I think mashed cauliflower is actually better than mashed potatoes. I like the texture better...easier to get creamy.

Personally I don't think cauliflower "rice" comes even close to real rice. But many people disagree with me.

I really have enjoyed the pureed cauliflower and truly would not miss mashed potatoes if I didn't have them again. (Now, french fries are another story...)  :-)

The cauliflower rice was OK. It wasn't a "taste sensation" like the pureed cauliflower was, but it served the purpose of accompanying my chicken curry dish. After all, that's really all the rice is doing in a situation like that - it's just a bed for the entree and not really contributing much to the overall flavor. Could I sit down and eat a helping of cauliflower rice by itself as a side item? I'd probably have to get a bit more creative with how I prepare it, add some spices or something, but I probably could.

If you have previously not been a fan of cauliflower, try roasting it. Cut into florets, toss with oil and a little S&P (and maybe a little nutmeg too). Roast at 375 for about 15 minutes or so until it starts to brown a little. Tastes awesome! Soooooo much different than steamed! It really brings out the sweetness.

LOVE mashed cauliflower!  With that out of the way, I do wonder if using it in this way is similar to creating muffins with almond flower or making pancakes with compliant ingredients?  I would think it is so similar that it has the effect of giving our brain the "potato" fix it needs psycologically.  

I'm a newbie here, so go easy on me :)

Personally I think the issue with some of those Paleo-ified baked goods is that they aren't really healthier. Sure, maybe they don't have gluten, but they can often contain starch flours instead which don't do your body any favors. I don't think they are bad in moderation but you need to be sure you understand what the ingredients are doing to your body.

LOVE mashed cauliflower!  With that out of the way, I do wonder if using it in this way is similar to creating muffins with almond flower or making pancakes with compliant ingredients?  I would think it is so similar that it has the effect of giving our brain the "potato" fix it needs psycologically.  

I'm a newbie here, so go easy on me :)

Personally I think the issue with some of those Paleo-ified baked goods is that they aren't really healthier. Sure, maybe they don't have gluten, but they can often contain starch flours instead which don't do your body any favors. I don't think they are bad in moderation but you need to be sure you understand what the ingredients are doing to your body.

GreenThumbGal hits the nail on the head. SWYPO has a lot of different meanings to a lot of different people. The Whole30 calls out very specific things in the rules because they are generally junk food associations (I wouldn't call rice or mashed potatoes junk food) and generally are not recreated in a way that is much healthier/more nutritious than their counterparts. Now there are probably whole30 approved foods that will be swypo for some people. That you have to evaluate on a case to case basis. We just draw a hard line on baked goods and things that are being eaten as desserts.

I am new to this and plan to start June 1. Please, mashed cauliflower is just what it says? Steam it and mash it like potatoes? I have been eating mainly vegetables, meat, (haven't done red meat for well over 10 years) but really missing my fruit (I'm a big time juicer) so this program should work great for me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I am new to this and plan to start June 1. Please, mashed cauliflower is just what it says? Steam it and mash it like potatoes? I have been eating mainly vegetables, meat, (haven't done red meat for well over 10 years) but really missing my fruit (I'm a big time juicer) so this program should work great for me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, and add something like chicken broth or almond milk or coconut milk or ghee to the cauli mixture, plus whatever herbs and seasonings you like.

Question: what do you mean by "missing my fruit... so this program should work great for me"? I hope you don't think Whole30 is about eating a lot of fruit. In fact, Whole30 advises limiting fruit to 1-2 serving a day eaten only at mealtimes. 

Here's the meal template for Whole30. It's the best guide for what to eat and when. Following the template gives you the best chance for success in your Whole30.

Good luck! Post again in the "Join the Whole30" forum when you start so we can encourage you on.

The key for me is garlic! My husband loves garlic mashed potatoes so I add a ton of garlic to my cauli mash and cauli rice to make it more appealing. 

I could eat mashed cauliflower every day and still love it, but the cauli rice is only 'ok'.  To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of regular rice either, so it may just be me. 

Either way I think cauli rice is a great substitute for rice with stews, chilis, etc. but I wouldn't want to eat it on it's own.

GlennR, I think what Vera5th was referring to was the first part of the sentence, "I have been eating mainly vegetables, meat, (haven't done red meat for well over 10 years)..."  That would definitely make it easier to start the Whole30, and I can understand how giving up all the fruit from juicing would be a challenge.

Once you start, Vera5th, you won't miss it so much, though it will be a bit of an adjustment.

Good luck!

When I made the "rice" it went over really well. However, I did not serve it as a side dish, that would not have worked at all. It was a bed for lamb curry. So pretty much a juice soaker upper.  It has now been all thrown together and the "rice" is super saturated with curry goodness. Next up will be the mashed cauli version!!  Think I'll do that for dinner with the chicken I smoked last night.. or maybe breakfast - I'm hungry! Day 6 here i come!

Archived