Starting Whole30 tomorrow (May 19th)

robynlo77

Good day everyone!  Day 3 and having lunch. Feeling a bit better with the flu, so expecting day-by-day improvements.  So far so good.  I'm eating per the plan and happy feeling just full enough. I'm a little bit suprised at how much food I am packing away at meal time, so am taking this as good sign.  Using the guideline per the plan as how hungry you are/might be when time for the next meal.  No cravings at all, expecting those to pop up, however.

Working on gettting more veg in at Meal 1, added some spinanch, a beet, and an apple to my scrambled eggs this morning.  Not a meal that would win presentation awards, but was not bad!

How is everyone doing?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good sub for potatoes is celeriac. You don't have to peel it. Scrub with vegetable brush under running water. Cut in half, slice - you can cut off the ends of the slices if you care, like you would cut off a rind, otherwise the peel is fine.

Thank you for this! Will be picking some up at the store later on today!

I have a feeling I will end up doing whole90 or more....but whole30 is a good start!

My top two inspirations are to

#1 to be in better health (not getting any younger)

#2 Be a good role model for my daughter, by showing her healthier options to eat. I've always been an emotional eater...and have chosen things not of the healthiest options for years!

Let me know at the end of 30 days if you think you will go on--early days, I know.  I think your inspirations are great!  I'll be 51 in October and I know my eating/drinkiing habits now are not working nor sustainable.  It will be awesome for you daughter to have a wonderful role model!

I had a terrible headache last night, but I feel really good this morning. So good I didn't even feel like taking a bite of my toddler's grilled cheese (and I'm a bread lover! Haha).

What's everyone having for breakfast, besides eggs?

Let me know at the end of 30 days if you think you will go on--early days, I know.  I think your inspirations are great!  I'll be 51 in October and I know my eating/drinkiing habits now are not working nor sustainable.  It will be awesome for you daughter to have a wonderful role model!

It is early on, but I am pretty sure I will be going more than 30 days!

I had a terrible headache last night, but I feel really good this morning. So good I didn't even feel like taking a bite of my toddler's grilled cheese (and I'm a bread lover! Haha).

What's everyone having for breakfast, besides eggs?

I had a headache last night. I downed some serious water, and that seemed to help!

I made my own chicken "sausage". Just took ground chicken and added all kinds of herbs and spices. I have enjoyed this the last two mornings, along with scrambled eggs, topped with pico de gallo (diced toms, onion, cilantro and avacado)

It is early on, but I am pretty sure I will be going more than 30 days!

I had a headache last night. I downed some serious water, and that seemed to help!

I made my own chicken "sausage". Just took ground chicken and added all kinds of herbs and spices. I have enjoyed this the last two mornings, along with scrambled eggs, topped with pico de gallo (diced toms, onion, cilantro and avacado)

Thank you, Robyn. I'll definitely be making my own chicken "sausage", too. Sounds so yummy.

I'm also gonna do more than 30 days.

Day 3 and I'm definitely feeling the effects of that nasty white junk. Killer headache on top of a nasty spring cold.

This isn't stopping me though. Eating well and I agree, robynlo77, I've been very satisfied too.

As for cookbooks - I really like Well Fed and I think Melissa has another one out now. She is fun and offers many Whole30 approved recipes. Love her mashed cauliflower. Practical Paleo is another awesome book.

Have a good day everyone!

I also started on the 19th.  Since I was already familiar with  and attempting to adhere to Paleo, it made things a lot simpler.
Sugar has always been my nemesis but I am now into my third day with no refined or processed sugar.  I have always avoided artificial sweeteners just because I intuitively feel they're just not quite right. BUT! I realized this morning that both yesterday and the day before I had been chewing some gum sweetened with xylitol, so I guess I need to cut that out as well.
I was pretty stoked when I saw that those Coconut Wraps were approved, but then disappointed to see that they had since reversed their verdict.  I personally don't see any ingredients that would cause opposition.  Is it just because they may be seen as a psychological substitute?  If so, would it therefor be wrong for me to make VERY thin egg omelets and then slice them into ribbons as ersatz noodles?

I am definitely doing this for health reasons (need to lose weight, have asthma, allergies, anxiety, joint pain, tired, don't sleep well) and I do not have a healthy relationship with food and alcohol. I also have 2 young children ages 3 and 5 and as I am 37 myself and an older mother, I know if I don't do something soon, not only will I be teaching them unhealthy habits, but I  won't even be able to keep up with them.

I really want to take control of my health and lifestyle. I did do my 1st Whole 30 back in March of 2013. My asthma, allergies, anxiety and joint pain all greatly improved. I had energy, motivation, slept great and lost 11 pounds. But... I didn't do the re-into properly  (my 30 days ended at Easter) and just didn't learn how to ride my bike. So, here I am again and I think I' going to stick with it longer than 30 days. I'm very thankful to everyone here on the boards, its so nice to see how it's going for everyone else and have people to talk to.

Hi everyone!

I started on Monday 5/19/14 too.  I tried to start on Friday.  But failed.  And then I tried to start on Saturday.  But failed.  Jeez!  I didn't even TRY to start on Sunday since I was overwhelmed with failure.  It is so crazy how imprisoned we can become by our unhealthy food choices.  Eating according to the meal template certainly isn't a difficult concept to understand but having eaten crappy food as a regular reflex/default for such a long time sure does make this challenging! 

My top reason for doing a W30 and wanting to make a life-long change in my eating habits is actually my one and only reason:

#1--Kick my eating disorder's a$$.  I honestly believe my eating disorder will eventually lead me to destroy every single good thing I have in my life and I have way too many good things in my life to even flirt with that possibility.

It is 1pm on Day 3 and I am going strong.  Maybe the newness hasn't worn off yet...or I'm not experiencing the full spectrum of negative side effects yet (fingers crossed it stays this way) but I feel great.  Eating delicious food that fuels my body feels awesome!  The evening hours still terrify me though.  I can eat a fabulous and satisfying dinner and immediately want to start grazing on anything and everything.  Brushing my teeth right after dinner helps quite a bit but it still feels SO weird to not be snacking (or binge eating) during the evening hours as I relax and hang out with the boyfriend and my kids.  (Although after I just re-read that sentence the weird thing is that I'm twisted up enough to view binge eating as a form of relaxing in the evening!)  Oy!  Old habits die hard.  Really, really, excruciatingly hard!  I just gotta keep taking baby steps and one day this all won't be so hard.

I wish everyone the very best of luck and look forward to spending countless hours on this forum (since it is my only form of support besides the Whole 30 Daily).

Amy

Hi everyone, I'm joining this topic now although I restarted my whole30 on the 19th. I was 23 days in, and than my relationship ended and I had some non-compliant meals while staying at a friend's place.

There is also a Facebook group whole30 experimental if any of you like Facebook.

Trying to stay motivated....

I was pretty stoked when I saw that those Coconut Wraps were approved, but then disappointed to see that they had since reversed their verdict.  I personally don't see any ingredients that would cause opposition.  Is it just because they may be seen as a psychological substitute?  If so, would it therefor be wrong for me to make VERY thin egg omelets and then slice them into ribbons as ersatz noodles?

It might be for one of two reasons, just guessing here...it's possible that it may become a food with no brakes for some folks and the other reason is that it's paleo-fied food, which is not allowed in a Whole30. From what I remember from the book, it's a focus on eating whole foods.  Perhaps a mod will chime in?

i got in wrong on one count LOL See this:  http://whole30.com/2013/12/pure-wraps/

Thank you, Robyn. I'll definitely be making my own chicken "sausage", too. Sounds so yummy.

I'm also gonna do more than 30 days.

Thank you, Robyn, too!  Sounds like a great alternative to eggs every morning.  Will have to get myself a new food processor, been on the want list for a while now.

Leesh and Robyn, let's check in at the end and see what we are going to do!

Happy Day Four everyone! How is everyone doing?  Again for me, so far, so good, and cannot wait for the flu/cold thing to be a done deal. I am sleeping, but not as well as usually.  Doing my best to keep the water intake up, one thing I tend to forget about.  Also, going to put the scale in the garage, it's way too tempting to jump on, and I know that will do my head in and start obsessing about scale weight which will lead to calorie counting and all of that head stuff I used to do before.

I don't as a rule eat much for processed foods, so this has not been such a challenge so far, but I am noticing that I spending a huge amount of time in the kitchen cooking and washing up. Makes me wonder if I have not actually been eating enough food before this?  It would explain some things. Hmmmm.

Happy Day Four everyone! How is everyone doing?  Again for me, so far, so good, and cannot wait for the flu/cold thing to be a done deal. I am sleeping, but not as well as usually.  Doing my best to keep the water intake up, one thing I tend to forget about.  Also, going to put the scale in the garage, it's way too tempting to jump on, and I know that will do my head in and start obsessing about scale weight which will lead to calorie counting and all of that head stuff I used to do before.

I don't as a rule eat much for processed foods, so this has not been such a challenge so far, but I am noticing that I spending a huge amount of time in the kitchen cooking and washing up. Makes me wonder if I have not actually been eating enough food before this?  It would explain some things. Hmmmm.

Morning of day 4 for me. I'm feeling pretty good....bit of a headache the last couple days, but have been trying to keep up with water intake. Although I have noticed my face is kind of broken out, and a little itchy. Trying not to think about it....LOL

I tried to prep most of my food on Sunday, that way I didn't have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, expect for dinnner, when I make the meal for my family. I think it has saved a lot of time, and then I can just focus on portion sizes during the day.

Woot woot for Day 4!  I know we are still in the infancy stage of our Whole30 but I am pretty much in love with how good I am feeling.  Granted, I am none too happy when my alarm goes off in the morning--that's nothing new--but once I get out of bed I feel pretty great.  I haven't noticed any physical changes either good or bad...but the emotional and psychological changes are AMAZING!  Going 3 full days without any self-destructive eating behavior (binge eating, purging, restricting, counting calories, over exercising, etc.) is a huge accomplishment for me right now.  Sure, I have gone a lot longer than 3 days in the past but after the horrible downward spiral I have been in over the past 3 weeks my 3 days of being Whole30 have been a God-send.

I hope everyone else is rocking day 4!

Hi everyone. So far so good for me on Day 4, although I have to say I am a little nervous about this upcoming weekend. I've got 2 events to attend, so hoping I can stay away from the booze/food at both of those. Day 4 of my first Whole 30 I was sweaty and feeling generally awful, and I'm not feeling that way today, so I'm happy about that.

I've had the same thing for lunch the past three days in a row (big salad with shrimp and tons of veggies) so I think I need to change that up a bit. I'm also getting a little bored with eggs for breakast. I made some homemade mayo yesterday for chicken salad though and it is delicious.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Woot woot for Day 4!  I know we are still in the infancy stage of our Whole30 but I am pretty much in love with how good I am feeling.  Granted, I am none too happy when my alarm goes off in the morning--that's nothing new--but once I get out of bed I feel pretty great.  I haven't noticed any physical changes either good or bad...but the emotional and psychological changes are AMAZING!  Going 3 full days without any self-destructive eating behavior (binge eating, purging, restricting, counting calories, over exercising, etc.) is a huge accomplishment for me right now.  Sure, I have gone a lot longer than 3 days in the past but after the horrible downward spiral I have been in over the past 3 weeks my 3 days of being Whole30 have been a God-send.

I hope everyone else is rocking day 4!

This is exactly how I feel! I don't think I have ever gone more than a couple days w/o sabotaging it somehow!

Hello everyone! This is Day 4 for me.  Yesterday and today have been rough. I went to bed with a headache last night and work up with a headache this morning.  Ugh! I feel much better tonight, headache is gone. 

What does everyone eat for breakfast? I'm getting very tired of eggs. Any ideas? 

I'm also nervous about the holiday weekend. Good luck to all!

Greetings,  I also started Whole 30 on Monday, May 19.  Day 4 and so far , so good.  Read the book, stocked the fridge , and cooked up a storm last Sunday.  Having meal components ready has been a Godsend.  Will enjoy following the rest of you May 19ers...

Happy Day Five Everyone! How is everyone doing?  The cold/flu symptoms are easing and last night I slept better, so that is great.  I realized that I totally underestimated how much food I would be eating, which is adding to kitchen time during the week.  So I can course correct on the weekend and make extra portions of food for next week.  And, will lose the guilt about running the dishwasher half empty.

Have to say that on Thursdays I typically grab some decent food and a bottle of wine on the way home because I survived the work week and that I deserve a treat. This used to set up my weekend eating and drinking patterns to be disasterous, because I say screw it, I'll start again on Monday. I didn't do that last night not just because I am on this plan for 30 days, but I reminded myself that I deserve better health, a clear head, and all of the benefits that go with. Also, am doing my best to take this one day at a time and surrender to the program and trust that it will work.

I tried to prep most of my food on Sunday, that way I didn't have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, expect for dinnner, when I make the meal for my family. I think it has saved a lot of time, and then I can just focus on portion sizes during the day.

Yep, I agree.  I had done this, but underestimated how much I would be eating, so an easy fix this weekend.  Thinking of investing in a crock pot as well and definitely need more food containers.

Hi everyone. So far so good for me on Day 4, although I have to say I am a little nervous about this upcoming weekend. I've got 2 events to attend, so hoping I can stay away from the booze/food at both of those. Day 4 of my first Whole 30 I was sweaty and feeling generally awful, and I'm not feeling that way today, so I'm happy about that.

I've had the same thing for lunch the past three days in a row (big salad with shrimp and tons of veggies) so I think I need to change that up a bit. I'm also getting a little bored with eggs for breakast. I made some homemade mayo yesterday for chicken salad though and it is delicious.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Not sure what to suggest on the booze/food advoidance other than be aware of the choices available, eat before you go, and have sparkling water with lime or lemon or olives.  It's a choice, right? :D  

I find myself doing a bit of the same and eating more or less the same small rotation, so looking at www.theclothesmakethegirl.com and www.nomnompaleo.com and www.stupideasypaleo.com for inspiration, and staying awaying from anything paleo-fied, for now.  Most of the recipes on www.theclothesmakethegirl.com are Whole30 compliant, and if not she says so. At nomnompaleo you need to read carefully.  Reminds me too, to put an order in for the Well Fed cookbooks from Melissa Joulwan (theclothesmakethegirl.com). Hope that helps and know that we are rooting for your success!

Going 3 full days without any self-destructive eating behavior (binge eating, purging, restricting, counting calories, over exercising, etc.) is a huge accomplishment for me right now. 

You are awesome :D and you can do this one day at a time!

What does everyone eat for breakfast? I'm getting very tired of eggs. Any ideas? 

I'm also nervous about the holiday weekend. Good luck to all!

I invite you to look in the recipes secion of this forum and take a look at the links that I posted above for suggestions for Meal 1 ideas.  I haven't made either of below yet, but seem to be a way to pre-make some breakfasts bases.  Both are from Mark's Daily Apple, and if I can find the original links, I'll post them.  I am pretty sure that I won't find compliant sausage meat, so plan to use organic ground pork and add some more seasoning. Just noticed that there is a link in the second recipe to Mark's Daily Apple on making your own sausage.

Primal Breakfast Casserole

Approximately 4 servings

• 1 pound ground breakfast sausage or other ground meat
  • 3 turnips, peeled and grated (a food processor works well for this)
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 3 scallions, chopped

Instructions:

Sauté sausage, breaking it up into small pieces with a spoon or spatula, until almost cooked through.

Mix the sausage with the rest of the ingredients.

Spoon into a 8×8 baking pan.

When ready to cook, heat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes then cover the pan and bake for 25 minutes more. Let cool 15-20 minutes so the casserole sets before cutting into it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz32WChNJa1

Sausage/Egg Breakfast Squares

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Slice the greens into thin strips (if using kale, removed the stems). Sauté in oil or butter over medium heat for several minutes, then add the crumbled sausage.

Continue to sauté until sausage is basically cooked, then turn off heat.

Whisk the eggs then stir in the parsley, kale and sausage.

Pour into a greased 8×8 pan. Bake 20-25 minutes.

Let cool slightly before cutting into squares.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sausage-egg-breakfast-bites/#ixzz32WCUxulG

Archived