Starting Whole30 tomorrow (May 19th)

robynlo77

Greetings,  I also started Whole 30 on Monday, May 19.  Day 4 and so far , so good.  Read the book, stocked the fridge , and cooked up a storm last Sunday.  Having meal components ready has been a Godsend.  Will enjoy following the rest of you May 19ers...

Welcome! :D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

Day 4 was horrible for me. I had one of my son's mini croissants in the morning and then just couldn't stop. I moved on to bread, which is my weakness.

I'm determined to do better today. I just can't fail afford to fail at this.

Day five, so far so good! I have to get my anual blood labs done today, so I've been fasting....my stomach is grumbling.....LOL

I do my grocery shopping on Fridays usually. I have my list all ready to go. Going to attempt to make some meatballs and a few other recipes I found.

Hi guys,

Day 4 was horrible for me. I had one of my son's mini croissants in the morning and then just couldn't stop. I moved on to bread, which is my weakness.

Are you starting all over from day #1 then? I read on a few of the other posts, that's what you were supposed to do???....I think that's what kept me from shoving some bread or chips in my mouth!

Whether you are starting over, or just continuing....you can do this! Don't focus on the "mess up"...just keep going!

Hello everyone! This is Day 4 for me.  Yesterday and today have been rough. I went to bed with a headache last night and work up with a headache this morning.  Ugh! I feel much better tonight, headache is gone. 

What does everyone eat for breakfast? I'm getting very tired of eggs. Any ideas? 

I'm also nervous about the holiday weekend. Good luck to all!

For break fast, I have been doing scrambled eggs, topped with pico de gallo (tomato, onion, cilantro), sometimes I will add chopped jalapeno, if Im up for something more spicy! I usually have this with some sort of bfast "sausage" that I make....ground turkey or chicken, with lots of herbs and spices.

I wish us all lots of luck with the long weekend. Luckily my husband is doing this Whole 30 with me so it really helps to have that support.  I will sure miss my wine this weekend tho!  I read somewhere that if you have cravings, just distract yourself, they usually pass in a few minutes.  Easier said than done.

I have found some good week 2 recipes on The Clothes make the Girl.  Am excited to try her Paleo Pad Thai.  

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/.

Hello everyone. It's my Day 5 and I feel like a lot better today.  Headache is gone. 

Thanks for the recipes, fggibbs. 

Got to get my shopping list together for the weekend and next week. 

I'm getting more nervous about the weekend. It will be tough one for all of us.  I wish everyone luck!

Happy Day Six everyone, and for those of you in the US, Happy Memorial Day weekend! How is it that it's the end of May already? How is everyone doing?

Kind of meh today--from last night I have been feeling super bloated, right in the solar plexus area and feels like some has sucker punched me in the mid back.  So odd.  I'm not sure what is causing it.  I have started to eat small amounts of sauerkraut to encourage enzyme growth, so I wonder if that's it?  It's not debilitating pain, and but it's not pleasant either.  Checked that the sauerkraut is compliant, cabbage, salt, and vit c (as preservative) are the only ingredients.  Had a bigger portion with breakfast yesterday, so I wonder if not that.  Also, super thirsty even though I think I'm getting enough water.  I did not sleep well last night, but don't feel so tired.  Going to have some lighter meals today and lay off the sauerkraut for now.  I have some apple cider vinegar, so may try a bit of that in a glass of water to see if it helps.  Going to up the water intake as well.  And been cooking all veggies, so it's not from raw vegetables. I have to find the timeline thing, I think this is part of the deal at the beginning.

On the positive side, my flu/cold symptoms are almost gone, YAY!  I ordered an awesome crock pot yesterday and added some new ceramic coated frying pans and a wok to the order....expecting those kitchen goodies to be arriving today.  And, had a somewhat stressed work day yesterday, just a lot to get done, along people needing some stuff last minute.  But, and this is cool for me, I had no desire to have wine or non-compliant foods to reward myself for making it through the work week.  Love this!  I was going to start working out today, but will see on this as I just do not feel comfortable.  Will do some light yard work and try to get some short easy walks in.

Hi guys,

Sorry to hear day four was horrible for you!  I think, by the rules, you need to start again from today as day one.  And, I would not look at yesterday as a failure, but rather as an experiment that did not turn out as expected.  What can you learn from this?  What was the reason for eating the croissant that triggered the bread eating?  Were you hungry?  Was it I'll just have one and then you went off the rails with the bread?  Maybe it was just not being in the moment and aware?  I like that you are determined and are going to get right back to plan--You can do this, we all can do this!

I invite you to look in the recipes secion of this forum and take a look at the links that I posted above for suggestions for Meal 1 ideas.  I haven't made either of below yet, but seem to be a way to pre-make some breakfasts bases.  Both are from Mark's Daily Apple, and if I can find the original links, I'll post them.  I am pretty sure that I won't find compliant sausage meat, so plan to use organic ground pork and add some more seasoning. Just noticed that there is a link in the second recipe to Mark's Daily Apple on making your own sausage.

Primal Breakfast Casserole

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz32WChNJa1

This recipe is in my standard rotation for breakfast options - I make it frequently (in fact, had it for breakfast this morning).  I'm not a sausage fan, so I use grass fed ground beef instead, adding salt and pepper when I cook it.  I also substitute an equivalent amount of rutabaga for the turnips, and cut each phase of the cooking times by 5 minutes. Yum.

Robynlo77,

What kind of herbs and spices are you using to make your own sausage?

I done different variations, depending on my mood....these are the ones Ive used....sage, thyme, basil, rosemary, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and always salt and black pepper.

Happy Day Six everyone, and for those of you in the US, Happy Memorial Day weekend! How is it that it's the end of May already? How is everyone doing?

Kind of meh today--from last night I have been feeling super bloated, right in the solar plexus area and feels like some has sucker punched me in the mid back.  So odd.  I'm not sure what is causing it.  I have started to eat small amounts of sauerkraut to encourage enzyme growth, so I wonder if that's it?  It's not debilitating pain, and but it's not pleasant either.  Checked that the sauerkraut is compliant, cabbage, salt, and vit c (as preservative) are the only ingredients.  Had a bigger portion with breakfast yesterday, so I wonder if not that.  Also, super thirsty even though I think I'm getting enough water.  I did not sleep well last night, but don't feel so tired.  Going to have some lighter meals today and lay off the sauerkraut for now.  I have some apple cider vinegar, so may try a bit of that in a glass of water to see if it helps.  Going to up the water intake as well.  And been cooking all veggies, so it's not from raw vegetables. I have to find the timeline thing, I think this is part of the deal at the beginning.

On the positive side, my flu/cold symptoms are almost gone, YAY!  I ordered an awesome crock pot yesterday and added some new ceramic coated frying pans and a wok to the order....expecting those kitchen goodies to be arriving today.  And, had a somewhat stressed work day yesterday, just a lot to get done, along people needing some stuff last minute.  But, and this is cool for me, I had no desire to have wine or non-compliant foods to reward myself for making it through the work week.  Love this!  I was going to start working out today, but will see on this as I just do not feel comfortable.  Will do some light yard work and try to get some short easy walks in.

Yes, morning of day #6!!

I think I was eating to salads with too much vinegar, I had some acidy burps  for a couple days...it helped to lay off the acid for a bit. I cooked a pork roast in the crock pot, with some carrots and onions, it was delish! I love my crock pot...what ever is left over, I will use it for lunch the next day.

Good your flu symptoms are going away....I haven't had many besides a bit of a headache the second day, and some acid. I keep referring the the timeline for days as well.

Have a great weekend!

Checking in for Day 6.

I think most of my things have been psychological. I keep thinking how things would be better if I has cheese or milk or flour to them. I have some Coconut Aminos and I think i am going to break them out today. I feel great. I am focused on losing the weight. I wish I could weigh myself. I swam twice this week for 20 minutes. I am trying to start slowly so I don't overwhelm myself. In general I have aroun 100- 80 lbs to lose. :|

I just get these feelings, I wish I could have a little sweetener. Then I think about the sweetener that I am allowed to have, and I think if I do that I am just doing SWYPI. I made some crepe like wraps to wrap other foods up in with an egg, a ¼ c almond flour and 2 tblesp coconut milk. I didn't flavor them because I didn't want them to be "pancake" or "crepe" replacements. I put a few blueberries in, mushed them down and wrapped it up. It was good. 

I don't feel like I am trying to "replace" favorite food, just find some new recipes that I like? I don't if I am headed down a slippery slope.  

I have been drinking black coffee (or with coconut milk), even though it tastes disgusting. I don't know why I just keep drinking it. I need to find out if there is an opinion about flavored coffee and if almond extract is allowed. They both smell so heavenly.

Health wise:

I have been sleepy, and calm , very very calm, I am usually hyper and sort of mani. I am easily irritated though, like the barrier that prevents  me from snapping at people has grown thinner. Working out has gotten easier, no food dreams just night mares. Sometimes I just feel disappointed that this is all I am allowed to eat. Food has become very mechanical and less sort of does this taste good, it doesn't matter this is what I am eating. I would like to find a better balance. I know some of it is retraining my taste buds so they think normal food is good tasting. I keep thinking about when I was in France how tasty all the fruits, and vegetables are. The varieties are tastier. 

Goals for this week:

Try some riffs on asian food, eat some eggplant.

How do we feel about baked sweet potato chips, as like a base for a hamburger?

Homemade Trail nut mixes?

Hi to you all and Day 6!  Last night I tried a Fresca, diet soda, and it tasted terrible.  I think diet sodas are "ok" on whole 30 but it was funny how I usually like this and really could taste the artificial sweetener. No more of those, going back to my fizzy water with lemon.

Like some of you I have had trouble sleeping for the past few nights.  No headaches though like some folks report.

Going grocery shopping today to get ingredients to prep for week 2.  Feels good!!

Have a great weekend!

Last night I tried a Fresca, diet soda, and it tasted terrible.  I think diet sodas are "ok" on whole 30 but it was funny how I usually like this and really could taste the artificial sweetener. No more of those, going back to my fizzy water with lemon.

Actually, no diet soda is allowed on a Whole30, as no artificial sweeteners (and no sweeteners of any kind) are allowed.

No need for a restart in this case: glad to hear you don't plan to have it again on your Whole30. 

What kind of herbs and spices are using to make your homemade sausage? Thanks!

I'd definitely use garlic powder, fennel seeds, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, ground sage, paprika... along with salt and pepper!

Actually, no diet soda is allowed on a Whole30, as no artificial sweeteners (and no sweeteners of any kind) are allowed.

No need for a restart in this case: glad to hear you don't plan to have it again on your Whole30. 

Thanks for the reminder ! No wonder it tasted wonky to me, no more of that!! ^_^

Happy Day 7 Everyone!  How are you doing?  I am feeling a bit better, cold/flu thing seems to have just about gone, and that uncomfortable bloating feeling seems to be easing a bit.  I spent most of the day yesterday on the couch napping and was suprised how much I slept.  Think my body just needs to rest to recover/detox.  I only had two meals yesterday and they were a challenge to get down especially the vegetables--just not hungry and no desire to eat, but know that eating healthily is helping my body. Sleep was a bit off at the beginning because of the naps, but still managed.  Woke up half way through with a nasty hangover-like headache.  I am still experiencing dry mouth a bit and today I'm going to track how much water I am drinking to be sure it's enough. 

The CrockPot rocks! I made some homemade chicken stock overnight and it's super delicious!  I also tried one of the new ceramic lined frying pans, also amazing, super easy to clean (both time savers).  Today will be prep and cook day and catch up on laundry and house cleaning. I'm finding my coffee cravings seem to be diminishing, which is an unexpected surprise.  Right, off to the kitchen I go for breakfast and then some serious food prep and cooking!

Hi! I'm Stacey. I started the Whole30 on May 19th also. This is my 2nd time. My first Whole30 was last July. I pretty much stuck with Paleo since then, but I've recently found myself gradually picking the cheese off the kids pizza, then having some chips, then more chips, and don't even get me started on the wine  ;) , so I decided to reign it in and do another round. Doing pretty good so far. I have celiac so giving up wheat wasn't a problem so I didn't get the dreaded carb flu. After the first 3 days I looked at the "x's" on my calendar and thought that it seemed negative, so I decided print out a new one and I started using smiley faces instead. I know it's all mental, but it's helped me. Wishing everyone good luck during the holiday weekend. I have to admit, with a party to face this afternoon, I second guessed my decision to start BEFORE Memorial Day. Oh well, too far in to stop now! Good luck everyone!

Checking in for Day 6.

I think most of my things have been psychological. I keep thinking how things would be better if I has cheese or milk or flour to them. I have some Coconut Aminos and I think i am going to break them out today. I feel great. I am focused on losing the weight. I wish I could weigh myself. I swam twice this week for 20 minutes. I am trying to start slowly so I don't overwhelm myself. In general I have aroun 100- 80 lbs to lose. :|

I just get these feelings, I wish I could have a little sweetener. Then I think about the sweetener that I am allowed to have, and I think if I do that I am just doing SWYPI. I made some crepe like wraps to wrap other foods up in with an egg, a ¼ c almond flour and 2 tblesp coconut milk. I didn't flavor them because I didn't want them to be "pancake" or "crepe" replacements. I put a few blueberries in, mushed them down and wrapped it up. It was good. 

I don't feel like I am trying to "replace" favorite food, just find some new recipes that I like? I don't if I am headed down a slippery slope.  

I have been drinking black coffee (or with coconut milk), even though it tastes disgusting. I don't know why I just keep drinking it. I need to find out if there is an opinion about flavored coffee and if almond extract is allowed. They both smell so heavenly.

Health wise:

I have been sleepy, and calm , very very calm, I am usually hyper and sort of mani. I am easily irritated though, like the barrier that prevents  me from snapping at people has grown thinner. Working out has gotten easier, no food dreams just night mares. Sometimes I just feel disappointed that this is all I am allowed to eat. Food has become very mechanical and less sort of does this taste good, it doesn't matter this is what I am eating. I would like to find a better balance. I know some of it is retraining my taste buds so they think normal food is good tasting. I keep thinking about when I was in France how tasty all the fruits, and vegetables are. The varieties are tastier. 

Goals for this week:

Try some riffs on asian food, eat some eggplant.

How do we feel about baked sweet potato chips, as like a base for a hamburger?

Homemade Trail nut mixes?

I'm new to this and I was trying to reply to the part about being easily irritated...ME TOO Minamyna! So glad to hear that someone else is feeling this way. I don't remember feeling this way during my last Whole30. Hopefully it will subside soon  :)

Happy Day 7 Everyone!

I too have been wanting cheese very badly. I miss the texture. I miss how you can just pick it up and eat it and not have to worry about sugar. I hate that so many foods have sugar that should not and I am feeling very strongly passionate about sugar these days, Why is it in bacon, when it's the wood that gives bacon the flavor? My whole foods sold some sugar-free bacon for a few months, and was always sold out of it, but then it stopped. I am upset with them. The online sites are crazy expensive.

I refer to the timeline probably more than once a day and for the most part it has been very accurate. Particularly on the cranky days.

I am very, very grateful that the hangover this Whole 30 was not nearly as bad as my first Whole 30. Maybe in part because I've done it once before? Returning to Bikram yoga may have helped me too, because all the sweat releases toxins and the poses regulate hormones, so it expedites detox. 

Eventually, I would like to do something with weights. I bought a kettle bell for the recommended weight for a beginning woman but I am so week. The one armed poses hurt my elbow. I have built a good deal of strength from Bikram years ago when I practiced regularly because the poses resist body weight and it's a good starting place for me to return to before trying weights whole hog.

I have checked out a few Cross Fit places near me but they are prohibitively expensive. I also question whether they have worked with such as weakling as I.  For me, I am thinking of this as a journey to get stronger and nourished. But at the same time, I hope the weeks fly.

Archived