Started 5/17/2014 YAY!

DAY 22

Sleep short due to event - 5 hrs, but had great energy all day!

M1 chili on the run, iced coffee w/coconut milk (PF)

M2 chili, chop greek salad, guac w/veggies for dipping, sweet pot w/ coconut oil (PVVFF)

Snack 1.5 HB egg (out & didn't have access to M3 until late)

M3 2 hotdogs, sweet pot w/sunbutter (PVF)

Mood - even, happy.

DAY 23

Sleep must have been good, I don't remember it. I think it was 7-8 hours.

M1 no protein, oops. NONE of it sounds good. Chai tea w/coconut milk.  (F)

M2 WW veggie soup, raspberries w/toasted almonds, moroccan pork chop, sauteed Power Greens (PVVF)

Before gym chai tea w/coconut milk

M3 pork chops, sauteed Power Greens w/toasted pumpkin seeds, nectarine

DAY 24

Sleep good, 8 hrs.

Snack 1 espresso & coconut milk

Work out - 1 hr barre class having just a little coffee + coconut milk before class. Got tired, but overall did fine.

Snack at store - 1 Lara Bar w/just cashews & dates

M1 eggs, chx sausage, sauteed veggies, 1/4 avo, 3 apricots

M2 chili, sweet potato skins w/coconut oil, small handful toasted almonds

M3 salmon cakes

Mood - very even. Noticed although happy, I got repeatedly impatient when I was hungry after class & not home yet to eat. 

I also noticed I'm feeling lighter. I mentally "think" I need to be getting more exercise weekly, but I'm actually not sure if it matters right now, it's more like an automatic assumption. Right now I think my average is 3x/week

Also notice I am desiring less coffee, but I really LIKE coffee. My caffeine shut-off point is decreasing, so instead of 1/2 caf (the usual), I'm now actually using more decaf that reg in the mix so I can drink more than just one little cup - too much going to waste & I don't want to be "done" yet! 

DAY 25

Sleep - a little restless & lethargic this a.m.  Possible causes: Float pod last night, b.s. at 260 upon wakeup (too many salmon cakes, oops)

M1 zucchini ginger soup w/crock pot chicken & pumpkin seeds

M2 chili, 1/4 avocado, strawberries

.oops forgot to type the rest

Took nap around 4 pm for 45 mins

DAY 26

Sleep - b.s. drop 12:45 a.m., then low at 8:30 a.m. as well, woke up with headache b/c of it (finally gone late afternoon)

M1 Frittata w/salsa & guac, golden caul soup, raspberries w/toasted almonds, coffee w/coconut milk, (PVVFF)

M2 can tuna w/mayo, squash soup, zucchini ginger soup (PVVFF)

M3 1/2 2 HB eggs, sm sweet potato w/coconut butter, decaf chai tea

Tired, napped at 5 pm (in part b/c b.s. was at 300)

DAY 27

Sleep - 6.5 hrs, good quality.

M1 frittata w/salsa & guac, iced coffee w/coconut milk (PVFF)

Work out 1 hr barre class

M2 org strawberries, zucchini ginger soup w/pine nuts sprinkled, iced coffee w/coconut milk, (VFF)

M3 3 Salmon cakes w/tarter sauce, 1/4 sweet pot, (PVF), .... something else I'm forgetting....

DAY 28

Sleep - good quality, but woke up a bit lethargic. Sore from workout class yesterday

M1 raspberries w/toasted almonds, coffee 1/2 caf,

M2 4 beef dogs, big bowl WW veg soup + 1/4 avo

EXHAUSTED at 5 pm, this is prob 4th time this week, same time of day. Napped 15 mins. More below.

Work out 45 mins cardio Z1 & Z2

M3 2 salmon cakes w/tartar sauce, 1/2 sweet pot in coconut butter,

Finally realized today the tiredness has increased in the past week or so, daily, same time. I read the threads, I'm not alone. I'm eating varied foods (all on plan) so I will first make a better effort to eat a whole meal all together with lots more PRO in the a.m. FIRST item I'm adding back into my diet is Jay Robb Egg White pro powder, as that is the only way thus far I have found I pleasurably ingest enough PRO first thing in the a.m. Veg soups, no prob, but For 28 days I've kind of choked down the meat or eggs & not enough. This might be contributing to a lull later in day. I didn't have an energy drop this time of day before W30; I wasn't running on carbs for energy anyway.

So I'm going to push whole PRO for 2 more mornings, then excited to reintroduce my PRO powder on day 31!

Additionally, I had quit my Greens First for W30 because it has stevia in it. I've been taking it daily for a few years even when we travel the world, & my body is very passionate about it, my love for it never wanes! I feel really good starting my days with it. Nothing else about it is non-compliant, so I'm adding it back in tomorrow, mixed with water before anything else goes into my system. Heck, I might even drink it before bed tonight when my tummy is empty, makes me happy just to consider it!

I was reading your log today and was interested in your use of frozen oj when your blood sugars dropped.

I was an adult nurse (in a slightly former life - am now a NICU nurse) and back then we had moved away from the fruit juices to treat symptomatic low glucose because, although it worked quickly, it caused a resulting "sugar crash" a couple hours later.  The hospital that I was working in had changed to something like milk with peanut butter and graham crackers (8oz milk, four graham cracker squares with less than a tablespoon of PB).  

Is this a practice that has changed?  or is this something that just works for you?

Just curious.....

Also, looks like things have evened out for you!  Congrats!

I was reading your log today and was interested in your use of frozen oj when your blood sugars dropped.

I was an adult nurse (in a slightly former life - am now a NICU nurse) and back then we had moved away from the fruit juices to treat symptomatic low glucose because, although it worked quickly, it caused a resulting "sugar crash" a couple hours later.  The hospital that I was working in had changed to something like milk with peanut butter and graham crackers (8oz milk, four graham cracker squares with less than a tablespoon of PB).  

Is this a practice that has changed?  or is this something that just works for you?

Just curious.....

Also, looks like things have evened out for you!  Congrats!

Hi! THANKS, yes, it was just a couple of nights, I dropped my Lantus by 1 unit & all was well. Until I dropped more body fat & had to drop 1 more unit - good problem to have!!

The combo they advised for you makes sense if the long term insulin dose is too much & that is what caused the low. If that is the case, it will simply pull too low again a few hrs later once the spike of OJ is gone until the over-dose runs its course. Thus the call for simple & complex carbs + protein /fat. The only way someone can "rebound" to a low from the OJ spike is if they still produce their own insulin (but that is 99% of all diabetics). For lots of my hypoglycemic friends who aren't on external insulin, I tell them the 2-step plan (next sentence), or else they will feel like crap all over again in 2 hours! What would be most comfortable for anyone in hypo would be 4 oz (ish) juice, let that "settle in" maybe 10 mins to quickly bring the glucose back near 80 (because lows are a HORRIBLE feeling), THEN the rest of the snack to insure against later drops (again, until the over-dose wears off & injected levels are adjusted accordingly). So short answer is that I doubt nurse protocol has changed. Happy to say I'm not sure, as I haven't needed to go back to the hospital for it since I was diagnosed 31 years ago.

For me, as a T1, I'm on such a fine line of adjustment that I don't usually crash until late into my sleep cycle (almost morning), so the OJ is fine. Brings it up & it is fine until a.m.

Over the years when it's happened early in the night (very rare), I have the juice, wait a few mins, then have a couple of TBSP of nut butter as insurance before heading back to bed, or sometimes a very small bowl of no-sugar oat cereal with almond milk (nutritionally, I just realized it's merely a healthier version of the milk & graham cracker snack!).

A long answer to a short Q. - I'm probably giddy from conversing with someone (you) who actually had a clue what I'm talking about when referring to my very successful self-care. YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IM SAYING!!! :-D I know more about it than most docs that cross my path, much less nutrition people (understandably).

I know more about it than most docs that cross my path, much less nutrition people (understandably).

I always did find that people with long term or chronic "illness", especially those who were in tune with their bodies, do know more than doctors!  I always learned a lot from my patients by readily admitting that I don't know all and asked them questions. :)

Thank you for helping me understand just a little bit more!  And I am so glad you are not having drops - they do feel yucky......

DAY 29!!!!

Sleep almost 10 hours except for 7 a.m. interruption for slightly low b.s. Apparently body fat has dropped again. I went back to sleep & just let myself keep going back to sleep since I've been so tired. I had Greens First last night, then again first thing this a.m., waited 15 mins before eating or drinking anything else. It felt GREAT to have it once again!

M1 2 eggs + a chx sausage (YAY ME for eating enough PRO! but then I was stuffed, no veggies), raspberries (PFV)

M2 1/4 avo, a vat of butternut squash soup w/coconut milk (

4 pm I'm tired... prepped dinner meats to brine & took a 20 min nap at 5 pm. Is this ACTUALLY going to be a "thing" of mine now??? WTH????

M3 grilled chicken & tri tip roast, sweet potatoes salad, butternut Apple squash soup, fruit with w30 strawberry cream sauce, iced tea

DAY 30 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sleep maybe 8 hours, little restless. The only thing different was that.last night a dressing was made with no soy sauce, but she may have used Braggs liquid aminos. I had just a few bites of the salad.

GREEN DRINK FIRST  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

M1 eggs & sausage w/veggies, guacamole, coffee w/coconut milk

M2 chicken, 1/2 sweet potato w/coconut oil, squash soup

Work out - 30 mins rolling stairs, upper body weights

M3

Made the pro shake for a.m.  30 g Jay Robb Egg White PRO powder vanilla, spinach, 1/4 avo, cinnamon, nutmeg, unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 scoop green drink, mixed only w/water not almond milk (until reintro of PRO powder passes the test. Next item will be the TJ's cold-case almond milk).

Archived