Jess's Whole 30, Take 2 - Begin 5/28/2014

jdthomps4

Good Morning Whole 30'ers!

My next Whole30 will be rather interesting, but I am excited to get prepared and get going!  I am going on vacation this weekend to Texas to visit my brother and his family, so I know it is not a good weekend to start, which is why I chose next Wednesday, 5/28.  I failed miserably at my first Whole30, so I am hoping that by being better prepared and learning from why I failed last time will create a better more positive experience this time.  Plus, it is much warmer out and the grill will be hot and ready! :)  Wooo!!!  

The reason for this one being so unique, is that after about a week in, I will be a camp counselor for 4 days.  I know that this poses a huge threat to success and am fully prepared to start over on the 8th of June. I doubt the camp will be very Whole30 friendly, which makes me sad for our children these days.  Because they are fed so much crappy food, and not given much of a choice. 

I am putting together a journal of goals, obstacles (especially from what I learned last time), an entry on why I want to be mentally tougher and how I will achieve it, how I can be better prepared this time, and recipe resource to have together ahead of time, so I am not scrambling last minute to find recipes I enjoy or not.  I am also going to read It All Starts with Food, so I can have better answers to people's tough questions on why i am doing this.  

I am also planning on not telling anyone from work, because they seem to mock me anyway and tell me that I will fail, so what is the point of trying.  Really uplifting people I work with, huh?

I am going to use the forum for the tough/rough patches I am going through when I embark upon this journey.

So, thanks in advance of helping me out! :)

Cheers,

Jessica

I am reading It Starts with Food currently.... and I am frustrated.  I am frustrated because I feel I have no control over what I put in my mouth, even though it literally makes me feel like crap.   I am frustrated because I am scared that I won't be able to stop the bad food addiction and I'll have failed at yet another test of willpower.  I am frustrated because I really want to be able to stick it out this entire Whole30 that I am about to embark upon but am scared of what people will think when I tell them I am doing a Whole30.   I am frustrated because I care about what people think (haha).  I am frustrated that we're surrounded by all this sh**ty food and our society doesn't do a thing about it because we're all so addicted to the crap that we can't stop buying it and the food companies love that control that they have over us.  and I am guilty of that toooooo!!!! ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Its all so frustrating and overwhelming.  Because people are so sensitive about their food and weight and I just feel lost on how to approach the subject with people because I don't want to hurt their feelings.  Because I know how I would feel if someone said that to me... 

Phew. Sorry. I am feeling a little better now that I have vented.  But I am still scared that I am going to let myself down yet again and go back into the ugly cycle of feeling like crap...

Good morning Whole30 world!

Well, tomorrow, I embark upon my Whole30.  Tonight is my big prep night.  I had a crazy busy weekend in Texas with my brother's family.  We had a blast! :)

Woooooo!!!!!!! i am so excited!!!!

Anyone else starting tomorrow that wants to join?!

Good morning!

It is day 1!  I am ready to go!

Meals as planned: 

Meal 1 - 3 Prosciutto Wrapped Frittata Muffins (Nom Nom Paleo) and Apple with Sunbutter

Didn't make it through whole meal - started feeling full and almost nauseated (hopefully this doesn't mean I'll be starving later)

Meal 2 - Shredded Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Salsa and Guac

(Shredded chicken - http://leafparade.com/2013/08/06/slow-cooker-shredded-chicken/)

Meal 3 - Coconut Shrimp with Mango Pineapple Salsa and Carrot Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette (Nom Nom Paleo)

(Coconut Shrimp - http://nealinkblog.com/2013/07/17/whole30-coconut-shrimp-recipe/)

I also brought some hard boiled eggs in case I need something as a snack.... but I am hoping to not.  I am hoping to get back into the routine of working as well... but I am not sure how hard core I am going to start out, because I feel when I start out too hard core, then I quit easily.  Sooooo... 

Happy Hump Day!

Looks like you are off to a great start! On your meal 1 - did you focus on the frittata's before moving on to the apple with sunbutter? I would always advice leaving fruit as an after thought (unless it is in your meal like you salsa for meal 3). Eat your protein and fat and veggies first and then if you are still hungry enjoy the fruit. Those muffins probably don't have a full templates worth of veggies in them so maybe try having them with a vegetable on the side instead tomorrow and start with just 2 muffins. 

Looks like you are off to a great start! On your meal 1 - did you focus on the frittata's before moving on to the apple with sunbutter?

I had 1.5 frittatas in before adding in the apple with sunbutter...  Then switched it up between the apple and another frittata.  I couldn't finish the 3rd frittata or the apple.  Good thinking on more veggies tomorrow!  Maybe I will do some carrots instead of the apple.  I struggle eating veggies in the morning... I am not sure if it is a mental block or not.  Carrots are about the only veggie I can just eat plain.  Do you know of a good compliant ranch or ceasar dressing recipe?  I really dislike salads with olive oil and vinegar dressing... I even tried some of the Tessmae's dressings last Whole30 and still hated everything about eating a salad.  

Thanks again for the suggestions and anymore you have, I am definitely open to them! 

Cheers,

Jess

I had 1.5 frittatas in before adding in the apple with sunbutter...  Then switched it up between the apple and another frittata.  I couldn't finish the 3rd frittata or the apple.  Good thinking on more veggies tomorrow!  Maybe I will do some carrots instead of the apple.  I struggle eating veggies in the morning... I am not sure if it is a mental block or not.  Carrots are about the only veggie I can just eat plain.  Do you know of a good compliant ranch or ceasar dressing recipe?  I really dislike salads with olive oil and vinegar dressing... I even tried some of the Tessmae's dressings last Whole30 and still hated everything about eating a salad.  

Thanks again for the suggestions and anymore you have, I am definitely open to them! 

Cheers,

Jess

I had a hard time wrapping my head around veggies in the morning as well. Start with what you can. 

I like this salad dressing: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/10/paleo-ranch-dressing/

I use dried parsley and garlic salt instead of fresh parsley and garlic and I still think it tastes divine. I've seen a few different caesar ones posted but I've not tried any of them yet. It's on my to do list. Took me a while to get used to a vinaigrette dressing but I've come to like those too. Another great dressing is the basil avocado one in NomNomPaleo's cookbook if you have it. Both Well Fed and Well Fed 2 have lots of dressings and sauces to try. 

Day 2

last night... i slept amazing! i know it is mainly because i was soooo tired from the weekend and two nights of less than 7 hours of sleep... but got almost a full 8 hours. :) I feel like i could have slept for about 10 more hours! lol

I woke up not hungry at all and usually by the time I am on my way to work, I am starving and ready to eat as soon as I get there. Not the case this morning. At 7:45, I finally forced myself to eat something. Again, I couldn't finish it. Which is so strange, because my last whole30, I felt like I was starving all the time and this time... I feel like I am force feeding a child. I had a tinge of a headache, but it has since gone, since I have eaten. I am sure it will be back again. I felt like crap for days 2-6 the last whole30 and i think i have been eating worse before this one (ugh).

Meal 1 - 2 Frittata muffins (NomNomPaleo), pouch of frozen broccoli florets (about a cup)

Didn't even come close to making it through my 2nd muffin today (everything tasted good... just couldn't choke anything more down)

Meal 2 - Lettuce wrapped turkey burger with broccoli, guac and salsa

Meal 3 - coconut shrimp with carrot salad (same as day 1)

My headache never returned!!

Are you staying full until your next meal after these meal 1 attempts? I get that sometimes even when I make the same meal every morning. Not sure what it is. Save the leftovers to have a mini meal if you don't make it to meal 2 and just keep at it. Despite what you were doing immediately before this Whole30 your context is still much more aligned with Whole30 than it was before I would think. I'm having a slightly different experience with my 2nd one too. Nothing bad, just different. 

I am staying full... Which is good... this afternoon I am not sure if I am hungry if I am just having a craving... because I would eat fish and broccoli, but I love broccoli! hahaha....  i'll stick it out for a bit longer and maybe have a few hard boiled eggs here in a bit...

Day 3

Well, yesterday went pretty well. I am frustrated at myself. Food has such a hold over me. I am constantly battling myself and what I am eating on this Whole30. This morning I even wanted to stop at McDonalds on my way to work, instead of eat what I had packed. It's not that I don't like what I had packed... it's that I can't break this stupid addiction that food has over me. There isn't an hour that goes by that I don't think about eating a piece of chocolate or a snickers bar or a bagel or have a beer or whatever it might be. It's a constant battle and I hate it. It's a sucky cycle. The food I eat daily makes me feel so crappy, but its like I can never break the bad food habit. I am really helping the Whole30 will help with this. I am hoping I can stick with it the whole 30 days and really prove that I can break some of the addiction and hold that it has over me.

That being said...

Meal 1 - (7:30 am) - 2 NomNom Paleo's Prosciutto wrapped frittata muffins and 2 large carrots

Made it through everything this morning!!!! :) I might even have room for my apple and sunbutter

Snack - Larabar (cashew cookie)

Meal 2 - Shredded Chicken lettuce wraps with Salsa and broccoli

Snack - handful of cashews

Meal 3 - Paleo egg drop soup with chicken (no veggies as diarrhea was horrible, I know I should have still eaten them.... But couldn't stomach them)

Happy Friday everyone! :)

Try a little bit of an attitude switch here (and I'm not minimizing anything here just offering advice). 

Don't be frustrated with yourself - be frustrated with the industries that knowingly put the crap in the food that makes them so addictive and buy off studies to get them to tell you it is ok to eat it.

You CAN break the addiction!

When you think about crappy food have an out planned. Think about something good you want to feel or experience. Think about a favorite vacation spot. Redirect your mind. If you can get up and go for a walk.

Don't hope you can stick with it - commit to it. You WILL stick to it.

Usually we become what we are most focused on being so focus on winning at this and you will!

All that said, I would lay off things like apple and sunbutter until some of these intense cravings subside. It can feed the sugar cravings I think.

Have a great day!

Try a little bit of an attitude switch here (and I'm not minimizing anything here just offering advice). 

Don't be frustrated with yourself - be frustrated with the industries that knowingly put the crap in the food that makes them so addictive and buy off studies to get them to tell you it is ok to eat it.

You CAN break the addiction!

When you think about crappy food have an out planned. Think about something good you want to feel or experience. Think about a favorite vacation spot. Redirect your mind. If you can get up and go for a walk.

Don't hope you can stick with it - commit to it. You WILL stick to it.

Usually we become what we are most focused on being so focus on winning at this and you will!

Thank you.  An attitude check was in need.  I know how much better I feel when I eat better... I just gotta remember that.  And the fact that Rome wasn't built in a day! What a good idea about the thought process to get myself out of the negativity.  I like it!  Thanks again!

I think I am removing any and all nuts. The diarrhea today has been awful. I had a Larabar as a give in snack and handful of cashews tonight and I am miserable. :( I've read on here that nuts can be a culprit. Phew. I hope that helps. I'm miserable. Trying to decide what to do for supper. Other than that... Everything is going good! Just tired but no headache! I thought at the last time I did this it was either cashews, coconut or shrimp... Those are the only thing I have up'd. I'll few days no cashews, shrimp, or coconut and add those back in one at a time...my guess is cashews, because I haven't had any issues except today and I had a lot of cashews today. As it was the cashew cookie Larabar

This weekend I had to go home quickly as grandma went into the hospital and was completely unprepared.  I resorted to convenience foods and failed at being Whole30 compliant.   :( I leave for camp which would have resulted in a restart...  So, my restart will begin next Monday after I am home and can again prep healthy meals for the week.  

I have learned a lot again just by having 5 days on Whole30.  It really is about having prep done.  There is no lazy in eating healthy.  Food must become a priority, instead of just a convenience.  It is easy to fall off the wagon when proper prioritization/preparation is not completed.  So... for my restart (which I am wildly looking forward to)I will be even more prepared for the time/energy it takes to successfully complete this whole30.  

I am planning on eating as healthy as possible this week at camp, but we all remember the gluten/sugar ridden food that comes along with feeding 150 campers.  Sigh....

Happy Monday!

Keep on keeping on.   :lol:

Archived