All or Nothing

gswh2

I made it through day 15! Halfway there. I am really excited because when looking in the mirror this morning, it looked to me that my stomach was not as big as it has been recently. It is not where it was a year ago yet but it seems to be heading in that direction. Also the acne on my face is cleared up but the stuff on my back still has a ways to go. 

I will have a bit of trouble the next couple days because I will be in an all day kick-off meeting both days. This means that my company will be providing, breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack but none will be compliant. I am close enough to my broke-graduate-student-training-for-Half-Ironman-days that I have trouble turning down free food. I really wish Pappasito's would post nutritional/allergen information on their website so I could supplement what I brought with some of the fajita fixings. I have to keep reminding myself that when this is over if I still want any of it I can purchase my own muffin, or Panera salad or fajitas. Since I have free time after work today I am planning to go to Freebirds and get a big salad with all their w30 compliant foods. 

Meal 1: 2 hard boiled eggs and raw french beans

Meal 2: Guacamole Slaw and pulled pork

Meal 3: Guacamole Slaw and pulled pork. 

Yesterday was a boring repetitive day foodwise because I had class from 6 to 10 yesterday evening with only enough time between work and class to drive home and stand on my back porch eating dinner while my dog did her business. That will be the case Monday's and Wednesday for the next 3 weeks. 

I have ghee in my house again! Yesterday was a very long day at work surrounded by food I can't eat. I permitted myself more fruit than I have had the rest of my w30 so I would feel like I was getting a minor treat. I will probably do the same today. 

Meal 1: 2 hard boiled eggs, french beans, cashews and a small fruit plate

Meal 2: Freebirds salad with spring greens, chicken, salsa, pico, tomatoes, onions and guac and a small fruit plate

Meal 3: Steak and roasted asparagus with garlic

I was very tempted to break my w30 today with some left over sweets at the end of our meeting. Finally I told my self there is no way I am going to ruin 16 days of hard work for a room temperature semi-stale cinnamon roll. It wasn't going to be the warm gooey deliciousness I was expecting 

Made it through the day of food being thrown at me. After an all day catered meeting I went to my night class where someone brought homemade cookies. I swear there was never this much free food around when I wasn't doing w30. I just got natural calm and last night was the second night I used it. I still haven't slept through the whole night. I fall asleep rather quickly but jolt awake about and hour later and have to start over. That happened a couple times last night. Hopefully tonight will be better since I will be getting to bed a a normal hour.

Meal 1: scrambled eggs with onions, peppers, french beans, and a small plate of fruit

Meal 2: Identical Freebirds salad

Meal 3: Leftover steak, asparagus and steamed green beans

I had another dream in which I decided that 18 days was enough and I was going to have some ice cream. I am glad that I have significantly more willpower while awake. I am also glad I don't sleep walk or who knows what I would have eaten by now. 

Still no luck on a good nights sleep. I went to bed around 9:30 and was up around 11:30. I am sad that the wonderful delicious sleep everyone talks about has not happened for me yet. I am almost 2/3 of the way through this experiment. 

Meal 1: scrambled eggs with onions and peppers

Meal 2: Thai chicken curry and cucumbers with guacamole

Meal 3: Hot beet, onion and shrimp stirfry

Food wise if you are still struggling with sleep you can try upping your carbs by eating more starchy vegetables.

Outside of food is there anything in your environment you can change? Is your bedroom dark, quiet, and cool? Do you stop using electronic devices within an hour of going to bed? Do you have a bedtime routine? Are you going back to sleep or are you really only sleeping 2 hours?

You could also try magnesium supplements. Lots of people use natural calm (unflavored - the others have stevia). You can try an epson salt bath or a magnesium cream or spray as many feel magnesium is better absorbed through the skin.

I am really understanding the timeline right now. I am on day 22 and I am ready for this to be over. It isn't difficult at the moment I am just ready to see the results of my effort. I want to start adding food back to see what is causing me issues. 

I will have to cheat a little since I am going to the doctor on Friday where they will weigh me. 

8 more days!

Finally had a good run!! I had given up hope on being able to have a decent run during my w30.I thought today's was going to be horrible since I was already feeling hungry and forgot to bring a pre-workout snack with me to work. I was really hoping my coworker would decide not to run today so I could be pathetic without an audience. I am glad I went anyway. This is the first time I have been able to finish the entire 30 minute run with him. I held back a bit in the beginning trying not to be dragged along but in the end I might have been pushing the pace. Either way I ran the whole 30 minutes and we even negative split the run! 30 minutes used to be a piece of cake for me but I have only barely been jogging that for while now. It helped a little that it was overcast and only 85 but it was still very humid. 

I am chalking it up to Tiger Blood! This makes the idea of another 8 days of w30 eating so much easier to take. 

I just discovered and unexpected benefit of w30. I have always had an annoying double chin. Even when I was training all the time and down to 20% body fat that double chin was still there. My mom has, and so does my sister. I just assumed it was genetic and there was nothing I could about it. 

This morning looking in the mirror I realized it wasn't there anymore!! I may have lost a little weight but I bet I am still 20 pounds above where I was 2 years ago. It must have been mostly bloat. I am super excited to learn this and I need to pay special attention during my re-intro to determine what to give up to keep this face. 

Why did I have more cravings on Day 25 than ever before? 

There can be lots of explanations for this. You might not be eating enough (or enough of something specific), you are kind of in the "I'm over it" part of the timeline, your body might be making a last ditch effort to get you to cave (die off), it could be something hormonal, you could be not getting enough sleep or experiencing a lot more stress. Give me some context (food, activity, sleep, stress, etc) and I might be able to help you narrow it down.

My cravings werent very specific. I just wanted everything i saw. Walking thru the grocery store i wanted chocolate, yogurt, ice cream, doritos, and lots and lots of fruit.

Today was better thankfully.

"i wanted chocolate, yogurt, ice cream, doritos, and lots and lots of fruit."

Reading through your meals I would have some questions since there are not enough details from your posts. Are you eating enough food overall? From what you wrote it does not seem like nearly enough!

1) enough vegetables? (2-3 cups per meal?)

2) enough fat? (1+ tablespoons?)

3) enough protein? (1-2 palm-sized portions?)

3) enough water?

In my experience any/all of these could explain the wide variety of cravings...

:-)

Day 31! I just finished breakfast which included celery with peanut butter. Hopefully last nights dream was not a premonition. I dreamed that my entire face ended up covered in a spotty rash. I hopped on the scale this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see I was down 10lbs. It feels like all of that happened in the last week so I understand now why this is a whole 30 and scales are not allowed. I was getting rather upset when I was not feeling thinner despite eating better. I will get my body composition checked tonight and hopefully I was not losing muscle mass. 

I will right everything else in a success stories post. 

Archived